Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

2012 occasional light vibe at slow speed stopping

Old 03-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
hammerman is on a distinguished road
hammerman's Tacoma Gallery

anyone expieriencing a slight vibration at low speed as you slow to near stop speed?i only get it a couple times a week.everything seems fine as far as braking. dealer never heard of it but would schedule an appointment.well it only does it occasionally so that would be useless. salesman had an answer and he said might be all the safety functions as far as antilock anti skid etc.like it might be just that way but service guy went to back to talk to mechanic and they had no knowledge of this happening.did since new and now have 5000 miles.anyone?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Adam Baum is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Adam Baum's Tacoma Gallery
I had that. The cause was cupping tires on my truck.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
pkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Pete
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
My '12 with auto has done the same thing only 3 times in the last 5,400 miles. Best I can describe is slowly slowing down from about 25 mph to a near stop, and it seems like the trans doesn't downshift into first, but rather stays in second and lugs causing the vibration? Seems like my normal driving around and stopping doesn't cause it... only the slower stops in neighborhoods at lower speeds. Curious if you find out anything, and hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkjr View Post
My '12 with auto has done the same thing only 3 times in the last 5,400 miles. Best I can describe is slowly slowing down from about 25 mph to a near stop, and it seems like the trans doesn't downshift into first, but rather stays in second and lugs causing the vibration? Seems like my normal driving around and stopping doesn't cause it... only the slower stops in neighborhoods at lower speeds. Curious if you find out anything, and hope this helps.
yours sounds just like mine other than i don't know about the downshift part.but mine is exactly as you describe 25 or less a slowing down to stop light and it does not do it to complete stop but more like from 25 to 5 to 10 mph.i get it a few times a week.you and i have same thing i am sure.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
pkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
Telephoned Larry Miller Toyota Service Dept in Peoria, AZ and they have not heard of the problem, nor do they have a TSB from Toyota. I was told that if a TSB comes out, it sounds like a software update and just a computer flash would fix the problem. I guess we'll stay tuned for more info at this point.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkjr View Post
Telephoned Larry Miller Toyota Service Dept in Peoria, AZ and they have not heard of the problem, nor do they have a TSB from Toyota. I was told that if a TSB comes out, it sounds like a software update and just a computer flash would fix the problem. I guess we'll stay tuned for more info at this point.
thank you for your time and contact.it does seem like in the old days when had sticks if you left it in too high gear way too long and did not push in clutch would get jumping or vibration.i just never thought of anything like this being auto.nothing radical more like one tenth the feel of a rumble strip .thanks again for checking with your toyota contact and there looking into it.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
2011Streaker's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 doing this. Gotta make an appt with dealer. It feels like its coming from the rear end. Worse when going down a hill too.

edit: i dont thinks its trans as ive done this in neutral, even tried it with the truck off in neutral. still does it.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
streaker, i was wondering if yours is also only at the low speed slowing and quits before the stop.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Streaker View Post
I have a 2011 doing this. Gotta make an appt with dealer. It feels like its coming from the rear end. Worse when going down a hill too.

edit: i dont thinks its trans as ive done this in neutral, even tried it with the truck off in neutral. still does it.
Started getting this around 15,000 on my 2011. In my case itís probably the crapy factory rotors, I anticipate they are slightly warped. Anytime I've had this issue in the past with other vehicles I've owned, the minute I got rid of the crapy factory rotors the vibes went away. Its real bad in my truck now and it got a lot worse the last time I had my 400 in the bed on my way to go riding. I'm guessing I got those brakes a bit too hot braking at high speeds; I was in a hurry to get there.

I've also pulled my single axel trailer a few times over the course of the year which also added to the problem.

Just throwing this out there, but it may just be the rotors. Can always swap them out for cheapies (I usually don't resurface) to see if the vibes go away. Down the road spend some money and get a decent set and call it done.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, Streaker. Good info, I haven't had the chance to test mine in neutral to see if the vibes are still there.

With that though, I really don't think my rotors are the problem. My '12 only has 5,400 miles and I've only felt the vibes 3 times since new. All three times were slow speed slowing. I have had bad rotors on other vehicles and felt those vibes from the front during high speed hard braking.

But, your input makes me think that maybe there is a fault with the ABS system, falsely applying rear brakes causing the vibes through the drivetrain.

Interesting, and will stay tuned until a resolution is found.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
Yes, exactly. between 30-15 its the worst. definitely not rotors. Rotor vibration gets worse as they heat up and warp more. this isnt like that all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerman View Post
streaker, i was wondering if yours is also only at the low speed slowing and quits before the stop.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Blackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to behold
Army:
Blackcat10's Tacoma Gallery

I have the same vibe in my 08 Access that hammerman described. Like real slow over rumble strips. Definately in drive train. Not brake rotors. Mine started at about 20,000 miles
Old 03-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
surprised when hear did not start until 20000 m iles.mine since near new (maybe had a few miles before i felt it but no more than 500 miles)i now have 5200 miles.my salesman who really does not know any real info did suggest maybe it was all the braking and safety features causing some light adjustment in braking.maybe he has something there.no doubt not rotors.actually i can't say for certain if foot has to be on brake or not? think so but can"t say.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
Law Enforcement:
Mine def goes away when i let off brake
Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Quote:
Mine def goes away when i let off brake
i'll have to try to remember to let off brake and see.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
Law Enforcement:
brought her in. They say it's the rear drums. We shall see. parts ordered, will be in next week. I'll update then.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
Law Enforcement:
vibration much better but still present. must be normal. kinda disappointing. i wish they would address the issue!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
brought her in. They say it's the rear drums. We shall see. parts ordered, will be in next week. I'll update then.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
Quote:
vibration much better but still present. must be normal. kinda disappointing. i wish they would address the issue!!!!!!!!!
kinda wondering how many miles on your 2011 and if it was doing it basically from new?pkjr and i have had issue since new and only 5000 miles on them now.only way they would be the same would be if yours was doing from new and there is defect from new on the drums.mine is not a wear issue since from new.thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the update, Streaker. Glad things are better on your truck, but wish they were completely resolved for you.

I'm at 6,200 miles now and not another incident since my original 3 times I previously mentioned. I 'might' have a chance to swing by the dealership this week, and if so, I'll report any findings after an in-person meeting with a service manager.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerman View Post
kinda wondering how many miles on your 2011 and if it was doing it basically from new?pkjr and i have had issue since new and only 5000 miles on them now.only way they would be the same would be if yours was doing from new and there is defect from new on the drums.mine is not a wear issue since from new.thanks
7300 miles and yes its done it since new. i thought it was road imperfections at first but eventually figured out it wasnt.

clearly something toyota needs to address in a TSB because its so annoying! do you guys find it worse when youre going down a hill and braking?