Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Suspension Lift vs Body Lift

Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Just a Taco guy, both food & truck
TheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christopher
TheRedTac0's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension Lift vs Body Lift

so I'm stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place
I want to get a lift for my 5 Lug but I can't decide weather to get a Suspension Lift from Fatbob's or get a Body Lift, both lifts go for 3" but i can't decide which is better

Here are the difference's
BODY LIFT
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/2845158973.html
http://www.jackit.com/per5603.html

SUSPENSION LIFT
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...74/ppuser/3738

MY BUILD: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-l...-my-build.html
Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
suspension all day.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Just a Taco guy, both food & truck
TheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christopher
TheRedTac0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
suspension all day.
What makes the Suspension better?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sorry for being so vague. This is the info i have read on the site (i spend too much time on here) I cannot personally vouch for the info but it does come up alot and i read the same thing over and over (im planning a lift as well)

body lift will allow you to put bigger tires, but your not going to gain any wheel travel by doing so. Also this is assuming your not doing a spacer lift which will actual limit wheel travel.

body lifts can be dangerous as they can fail and when you break your frame stops and your cab keeps going (seen it on a post some where on here)

at the end of the day, just spend a bit more and do it right, so you dont take away from the comfort of the vehicle. Suspension lift (assuming its not a spacer) will give you a better ride over stock, allow bigger tires, and give you more wheel travel.

BUT....this all depends on what your going to do with it.
if your going to wheel it once in a while and is mainly for looks, what the hell do a body lift, somewhat cheap, you can get bigger tires your good to go

if you plan on getting into trail stuff, your going to upgrade down the road anyways (no pun inteaded lol) so you might as well do the suspension lift
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
the best body lift still isn't as good as the worst suspension lift
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #6

^^^^i edited my comment above-gf was talking while i was talking kinda forgot some things
Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension all day. I have a friend that lifted his explorer, completely different but same concept, 3in suspension and 3 body and put Mickey Thompson MT's on it and not a week later it poured down rain he hydroplaned into a tree and hit right where the front drivers tire is and the cab bolts sheared off sending his cab rolling down the hill, witnesses say he rolled 5+ times before stopping he doesn't remember much after hitting the tree. Police say that he wouldn't have been hurt nearly as bad if it hadn't been for the body lift coming apart.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
imo i would drop the extra bit of money on the tc mid travel kit increased wheel travel and performs very well in the dirt. ive seen it and it even surprised me
Old 03-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #11
Street is just really niceStreet is just really niceStreet is just really niceStreet is just really nice

Name: jon
Street's Tacoma Gallery
5 lug DIY Tips from the guys @ 4 wheel crawler and 5 trips to ACE to get the right bolts it was worth in AND UNDER $100 BUCKS you can't beat it, I did it myself and made the steering shaft at my buddys shop, go with the 3 in body and when you get the money for the susp. you'll be that much higher its what I'm doing I think i'll work on the paint and hood next tho.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #12
Thorpedo26 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon Thorpe
Thorpedo26's Tacoma Gallery
Your telling me a auto shop recommended a body lift? Either you talked to a new employee or they dgaf. And pairing the suspension lift with a body lift? Your center of gravity is now higher and your cab more likely to flex on turns as well as frame
Won't be fun when every thing just spontaneously snaps. Not looking for a fight I like your truck, but losing piece of mind and safety for cheap looks is illogical to me
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Body lift = FAIL and looks retarded

If you're looking for something lifted, just sell your 5 lug and buy a prerunner or a 4x4
Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
That body lift is 475 dollars?

Don't body lift, it looks like crap and takes a decent truck into a deathtrap. Don't forget a quality suspension lift not only raises ground clearance but also improves ride quality on and off road. A body lift won't even increase clearance, just make room for larger tires and make you look like a redneck.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
I see nothing wrong with a body lift. I've been in a serious accident where the airbags went off and the body lift didn't fall apart and the frame/body didn't seperate. It was just fine. If you install a body lift, do it right and don't do some backyard engineering project. That is most likely the crazy cases you end up seeing posted several times on several different forums. Spend the extra few dollars and upgrade all the hardward to grade 8. I'm running a 1.25" custom body lift now and absolutely no worries about it failing.

That said, do the suspension lift first. If you need just a tad bit more to clear the tires, then get a body lift but try and keep it as small as possible. A 3" gap between the body and the frame looks likes poo.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #16
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
I see nothing wrong with a body lift. I've been in a serious accident where the airbags went off and the body lift didn't fall apart and the frame/body didn't seperate. It was just fine. If you install a body lift, do it right and don't do some backyard engineering project. That is most likely the crazy cases you end up seeing posted several times on several different forums. Spend the extra few dollars and upgrade all the hardward to grade 8. I'm running a 1.25" custom body lift now and absolutely no worries about it failing.

That said, do the suspension lift first. If you need just a tad bit more to clear the tires, then get a body lift but try and keep it as small as possible. A 3" gap between the body and the frame looks likes poo.
So much easier to beat and cut the inner wells for clearance than add a body lift. It's physically removing ability from your truck both on and off road.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
So much easier to beat and cut the inner wells for clearance than add a body lift. It's physically removing ability from your truck both on and off road.

If it's physically removing ability from the truck, then why do some competition rigs have body lifts on them? It doesn't seem to hurt them one bit. I also disagree that it is not easier to beat the hell out of the wheel wells. I'm running 35's and can tell you from personal experience, the body lift saved me a hell of a lot of trimming and pounding. I don't even have to remove or trim my fenders to make them stuff all the way to the bump.

I've also never seen a rig tip over and everyone look and point because it was all because of a body lift raising it's center of gravity.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
AwsumSaus is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Comm Techie
AwsumSaus's Tacoma Gallery
This all seems like pretty valid advice to me. I just purchased my Tacoma in March, and am looking at jacking it up another 3". I was looking at suspension until a friend recommended a body lift, but I'm pretty glad I found this forum lol.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other
fgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
fgcutaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpedo26 View Post
Do whatcha want. Buuut we said da troof
BAM. Ain't dat da troof?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwsumSaus View Post
This all seems like pretty valid advice to me. I just purchased my Tacoma in March, and am looking at jacking it up another 3". I was looking at suspension until a friend recommended a body lift, but I'm pretty glad I found this forum lol.
We are all glad we found this forum, our wallets on the other hand... Ehhhh... Not so much