1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just a little headsup for the 5lug owner

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Phil Dammit, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Lower Control Arm bushings on these arms are not all song and dance.....Especially if you are me and are running a gay 4" lift on a stock uppers. Thought I was going to be able to just use the press at the shop and go on my merry little way but nooooooo, toyota has some special retarded bushing tool to use (that btw the yota dealer doesn even use) because of the direction that these bushings are installed. For those looking to do lower bushings you will need an air hammer to remove and then some sort of bushing tool to reinstall the bushing.

2. Apr 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Check out my build thead, I have a link there to a DIY for the LCA bushings.

I used a torch quite a bit for removal and pressed them back in with a press.

3. Apr 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Hold on, am I reading this right? You torched them out of your arm? Putting extra heat to that arm is the last thing I would want to do being that it can weaken the arms integrity. I just arm hammered them out. I was posting for those that thought you would be able to just use a press to get them in and out. No can do being that the bushings insert towards each other making it impossible to press them out.

4. Apr 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Eh, so far so good.

5. Apr 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    LOL good luck:eek:

6. Apr 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    toyota is stupid when it comes to bushings. i was trying to take them out of ucas and unded up cutting the whole sleeve off

7. Apr 10, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    I was looking at those while I had the front end torn apart. Looks like the only option for the uppers.

Products Discussed in

To Top