Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Looking for a "heavy-duty" suspension upgrade

Old 07-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Midnight Drifter is on a distinguished road
Name: Anthony
Midnight Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for a "heavy-duty" suspension upgrade

I've been trying for a while to figure out a good suspension option for my truck. I'm at 35,000 miles right now and when I hit 40K I want to start replacing things. I personally dislike how soft my 5-lug rides, and I also want to go higher (around 3" of lift would be just right) without murdering the budget. Increasing the load carrying capacity for the rear is also important to me, I notice my truck sags a lot when I load the bed down with supplies.

I'm not impressed too much by the Fat Bob's setup. I'm looking for replacement springs (and leafs) all around and brand new shocks/struts that can take more of a beating on NJ's rough roads (and occasional off-roads). So... what's out there? Anything?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
I was thinking perhaps using a leaf pack for the rear, thoughts?

I need stiffer front springs and HD shocks though.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Icon doesn't fit the "don't break my budget" part though
Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been looking to beef up my rear leaf suspension ever since i was riding on the bumpstops with a full truckload of asphalt. Airbags seem to be a good choice and im considering buying a set.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
raising the front end that much would have to be a mid travel kit. for the rear most people do aal but as far as leaf packs idk haha. all pro?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to suggest OME with Dakars but they don't fit 5 lugs. I guess maybe the AAL and airbags or a custom leaf pack.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
I was going to suggest OME with Dakars but they don't fit 5 lugs. I guess maybe the AAL and airbags or a custom leaf pack.
honestly there isn't any reason they shouldn't, beside the fact that no one has tried. and they might not lift the truck all that much. but other than flipping the axle pin, there should be no other reasons (at least that I can see) preventing the install of a 6 Lug lift leaf pack on a 5 lug.

6 Lug and 5 Lug OEM leafs are interchangeable.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
If that's the case, then I might just have the perfect solution.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/05taco...omaleafsprings

The "expedition" one. If it provides a 4" lift over factory on a 4WD, then it might just sit perfect paired to a Fat Bob's front-only kit.

I'm not looking to spend more than $600 per "axle".

What would I do for HD shocks?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
Noted on that. Uh, more specifically, I was also curious as to which front shock absorbers will firm up the handling. Sorry for not being specific.