Notices

Very basic tacoma here.... Needs to get bigger

Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
MadCowboy is on a distinguished road
EMS:
MadCowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Very basic tacoma here.... Needs to get bigger

Hello everyone
I have a 2011 very basic tacoma. I found this website looking for tire sizes but i have found so much more info on here that i was wondering about i decided to join. But if anyone can give me a answer to my question it would be greatly appreciated. So I own a production company and that involves lots of driving around on dirt paths and over grass and things like that and I'm wondering what the biggest tire i can put on would be. I have 225/70 r15 on there now but i want something bigger and more aggressive. But also if there is any one in my area that four wheels and can show me some sick places that would be awesome..... So thanks for listening to my rant.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Welcome! I don't know much about 5lug sizing but I'm sure someone will chime in
Old 07-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
I guess no one is looking at 5lug section

post in here someone will get back to you
Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
30" if i remember correctly, not sure if its with stock or aftermarket wheels.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Just a Taco guy, both food & truck
TheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christopher
TheRedTac0's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 5 lug, and im rolling on 31x10.5 tires, i also have a three inch lift
check it out on my build

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-l...-my-build.html
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
pkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Pete
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go. My 2012 with 235/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires mounted on the stock steel wheels. No lift or mods... and no tire rubbing. Discount Tire even bought my factory tires for $100. Hope this helps answer your question.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Rich
Dirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Rich
Dirty Jersey's Tacoma Gallery
I got stock tires on my 12' access cab but theyre puny 215/70/15. The biggest tire you can get are 235/75/15. I'll be upgrading soon but this is the biggest on 5 lugs with no rubbing. Remember if you increase say 5% then the odo will be off same. I.e. from 70r to 75r then your going 105mph not 100 mph, or 53 mph not 50. Good thing to keep in mind if passing cop
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Rich
Dirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Pete, how you like the wrangler s.a.'s. I'm deciding between those and BFg at ko's. Why the wranglers? Any info that may help me decide?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
pkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
Rich - I talked to the manager at Discount Tire about my driving style and here's what he suggested that led to my purchase. I was also comparing the BFG All-Terrains to the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors.

The two tire brands build their tires with the same ply's in the tread... but, Goodyear adds a Kevlar lining to the tread area for added puncture protection.

Since I often drive trails, both in the desert and in the forest in AZ, this was more important to me than sidewall protection.

BFG, to their credit, adds an extra ply in the sidewall compared to the Goodyears... but, since I'm not banging sidewalls on the trail or on curbs in town, I went with the Goodyears and have been very happy with them.

Smooth and quiet on the road, no punctures or loss of air pressure after each outing, and quite frankly, I've been impressed with the traction capabilities on sand/dirt... even up to 'mild to moderate' amounts of mud.... on the trails.

Hope this helps, and if you/anybody has more questions, just ask!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
Rich

Thanks for the input brother. In your honest opinion did the look have any play into you decision? If so which one do you think has a more rugged appearance
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
MadCowboy is on a distinguished road
EMS:
MadCowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all your input. I went with 235/75 r15 from goodyear. I got the wrangler radials. If anyone wants to get them now they are on sale at americas tire or discount tire (whatever they call it in ur area.) They were 115 but now they are only 99. Out the door with instillation and tax in California and the road hazard warranty ($14) it came out to $568.37. And they look hella good!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Very basic tacoma here....  Needs to get bigger-img_0212.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
Rich - Both have the same appearance to me and I think either would look good on the Tacoma. I only chose the Goodyears for their added tread strength.

MadCowboy - Congrats! Your truck looks great with them on.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

Name: John
jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkjr View Post
Here you go. My 2012 with 235/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires mounted on the stock steel wheels. No lift or mods... and no tire rubbing. Discount Tire even bought my factory tires for $100. Hope this helps answer your question.
Does the spare still fit with the 235 on?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just got rid of a set of Wrangler Radials... They did pretty good in offroad situations but wore absolutely horribly. I got 18,000 out of them
Old 05-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the delay in responding...

John - I haven't had a flat so I don't know for sure... but, I have read on TW that up to a 31" tire will fit in the spare well.... makes sense for the 6-lug crowd and I'm sure Toyota didn't make a smaller well for the 5-lug trucks.

Matt - That is surprisingly low mileage out of your tires... any chance it's driving style related? I'm old, go slow, and don't 'burn' rubber on/off road. Here are mine recently with 25K miles on them... I'm at 30K now and expecting to reach 45K before even thinking of replacing them.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine weren't the duratracs, they're called Wrangler Radials. I don't know how many of you know about my taco's little mishap but after it was all fixed I found out they aligned it poorly and wore one of the front tires out driving it 700 miles home. So I had to get 2 new fronts anyway and looking at the rears I didn't have much tread left back there either. The guy at the tire shop I use said he sells a lot of them and has never seen any issues with them like I had. Just one of those flukes or something...
Old 06-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Mine weren't the duratracs, they're called Wrangler Radials. I don't know how many of you know about my taco's little mishap but after it was all fixed I found out they aligned it poorly and wore one of the front tires out driving it 700 miles home. So I had to get 2 new fronts anyway and looking at the rears I didn't have much tread left back there either. The guy at the tire shop I use said he sells a lot of them and has never seen any issues with them like I had. Just one of those flukes or something...
Our trucks at work (chevy tahoes) came with those wranglers on them stock. I've got 10k and others have more than that on them without any issues.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #18

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Like I said, these were Wrangler Radials. Not the silentarmor ones. They looked like this when I took them off (these were the rear 2, took the pics for a craigslist ad)

The fronts were entirely bald