1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About to get in deep. Lend me your knowledge.

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by 2TRunner, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Jul 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    For quite some time I told myself I wasn't going to lift my truck. I didn't want to open the can of worms that seems to come with it. Times change though.

If I was to ever lift it, I was going to do it the right way, from the beginning. I'm to poor to waste my money. Then here comes Stupid Hurts puttin his SAW/TC Mid-Travel set up for sale. I am about 2 steps away from purchasing his setup. I also have some general questions for Steven, if he happens to pop in here.

The problem is, I might fix cars for a living, but I'm pretty clueless when it all comes to lifts. I've got a lot of questions, wonderings and what-have-you-not about taking the plunge into the Mid-Travel world.

I've searched. It only left me with more questions and confusion than answers.

#1. Alignment.
    I can do alignments all damnn day. Issue here is...I have no idea what the specs are supposed to be post-lift for the 05+ 5 lug Taco. Is it as simple as hooking it up and getting it back into the factory specs? My specs right now are pretty dead on: 0.2 camber, 3.9 caster and even toe. Try to get back to that? If not, what specs should I be looking for?

#2. The Rear Lift.
    I searched a lot here. I got answers, some, but came away still with quesitons. I can get either a Fat Bob or Ready Lift AAL. I have seen some complaints of rear sag with those 2. Is there anyone else who makes an AAL designed for these trucks? If so, please point me in that direction. What about an entirely new leaf pack that is designed for these trucks and would provided the needed rear lift? Again, if so, point me thataway. I have seen the 50T option, but I don't think I'm looking for that much.

#2a. Rear Shocks.
    Not much worry here. I think I'll be going with the Monroe Reflex shocks designed for the prerunner/4x4. P# 911280.

#3. Design Purpose.
    Call me stupid, but what is the true, intended purpose of a Mid-Travel set up? Is it more designed for off-road trail riding, is it more designed for running around out in the desert? It is simply a do whatever the hell you want with it kind of thing? I couldn't imagine, but are people taking on jumps with this kind of setup? (I certainly won't be)

#4. Uniballs.
    I have a concern about them with living in Ohio. They will see winter. They will see the nasty, corrossive shit they spray on the roads. Is there a way to protect the uniballs from such torment a little? It also appeared that uniballs could be purchased seperately, is this correct?

#5 Stupid Hurts, Steven
    - The SAWs are "adjustable" correct? What is the way of adjusting them? A special tool? Would it be included? Could I take them out of the box and put them on and not worry about having to "set" them? I know you said rebuilding might be a good idea, but that will have to wait, I'm blowing a huge wad on this already.

- Sway-a-ways made you have to remove the Sway-a-bar you say? How has that worked out?

I'm sure I'll have more wonderings. Bout all that comes to mind at the moment.

2. Jul 25, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    Stupid hurts.

Stupid hurts. Hoogie boogie!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    So☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Impluse Red Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    American Motorsports Front Long Travel Kit, Total Chaos Rear Dual Shock Hoop Kit, Engage 50T Leaf Pack, Engage Front & Rear Hangers, American Motorsports Shackles
    The SAWs are adjustable, however, you will need a spanner wrench. They are currently set to give you about 2.75" to 3" of lift. As far as the sway bar goes, I never really felt a difference. For the uniballs, use dry teflon lubrication. It will be your friend. I'd highly suggest you get them rebuilt. I would hold off installing them until you do so because it becomes more of a pain when you have to take them off your truck.

3. Jul 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    True on the rebuild.

How much did rebuilding them run you when you did them?

4. Jul 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    As far as the leaf pack goes, I know of two companies who make new leaf packs for us. All pro has two models, and Old man emu has a few as well. Both good options for you I think.

5. Jul 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Thank you, I will be looking into those later this evening when I'm actually off work.

Both of us not paying attention edit: This is 5 Lug.

6. Jul 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    YotaMan2007

YotaMan2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    where my boots and ruck lay
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift
    Icon has a 3 leaf pack that allows some flex but I personally never had issues with my fatbob AAL's

7. Jul 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Going that route (fat bobs) would run me about 120 or so. A very viable option. The AALs and new U-bolts.

Whats up with the Alignment specs er'body?....

8. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    you are a raging homosexual for lifting your 5 Lug.

but at least your doing it right lol

now that that's over with lol

im pretty sure you can get it into stock alignment ...i think thats what most people aim for. i think at around 2" (up or down) you get problems, but with your UCA it should keep things manageable

honestly, all the different AAL should work (even the 6 lug ones, as the spring width is the same and all,) or you could go with an aftermarket leaf pack if you are willing to spend the cash. The 6 lug aftermarket leafs should work as well but you will need to make sure the arch is enough to actually lift the truck.

9. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    You have a stuffed whale in/on your shit and you're calling me gay? I'm not the one who post whored a bunch of pretty unicorns either.

***. (post-post edit: Really? This word, I'm leaving it.)

:p:D

I appreciate the help a lot man.

I've got a minute to think the rear over.

I can buy the Fat Bobs AAL and ubolts for like 110 + shipping.

I did find this and wondered if it would work...
    But everything on the page even says it won't fit a 5 lug, so...I dunno. Sort of want to send them an email, but I mean, right at the top of the page...

10. Jul 26, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Aligning a lifter truck can be easy, or it can be hard. Over the years of having to align stock or lifted trucks I have learned that each truck is it's own monster. You do want to try and get things close to factory as far as alignments. Then drive it on the street. Steers hard? Add a little caster to free it up. Wanders? Again, add a little caster. the characteristics of an alignment change as your suspension moves (as I am sure you are aware) So what you need to do is find that "sweet spot" in your truck. If the springs are tight, you will get less up-and-down so you can stay close to spec. Softer springs increase your up and down and you may need to adjust your caster and camber as things go along. If you have any problems feel free to PM me. Good luck!

11. Jul 26, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    It's own monster, a good analogy. Me and this truck have had a few good rounds on the alignment rack.

Back to the springs, I think I like this option a bit better.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/...06-Tundra-1.5"-Lift-Rear-Expansion-Pack-.html

^ Duh on my part.

12. Jul 26, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    YotaMan2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift
    I'm going to eventually get that leaf pack when i'm in alaska. then the mid travel kit after tax season rolls around.

13. Jul 26, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    I think I'm actually pretty setteled on that ICON pack for the minute. Only about $100 more, like the beefier-ness of it over a single AAL.

I like this thread, me being stupid, yet learning! All the questions I had made my mind fuzzy and confused. Now that we're getting somewhere.

Oh, and I see you in here Neil. There's this hill, I think you know it....

14. Jul 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    yeah the thing is you'd have to find a pack with a pretty beefy arch. figure the stock 6 lug pack drops our trucks about an inch and a half, so compensating for the differences in packs between 5 and 6 lug trucks (1.5") the lift from that pack would be around an inch or so, as it is designed to lift the 6 lug truck 2.5"

the AAL should be ok esp with those longer shocks for the time being, as I know those leaf packs are generally hella expensive rofl. but correct me if im wrong your gonna sit like ryry (hella bro) with just the AAL right? unless you turn down those coilovers (or up? it's up right, since it's lifted?), but that's no fun :D

unicorns are cool. and whales too. :D

15. Jul 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    I..I...I have no idea.

SH seems to have been pretty level with his stuff and he's just got a RL AAL.

16. Jul 26, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    like front higher than rear? (like a bro truck)

17. Jul 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    I know what you ment on that.

Don't know what I'm gunna do.

Wasn't RyRy's problem that he had a 6 lug leaf pack with his AAL?

This full 5 lug MT set-up from ICON includes the AALs i'd be interested in. I'd think I'd be level and not have the crazy stuff he had going on. I'll get the same UCAs, just SAW and not ICON coilovers. Shem was running the same 3 leaf AAL.

http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/soc...er=130&make=TOY&model=TAC&year=2006&drive=2WD

Something else I didn't think of...extended brake lines. Just get some for a 4x4 tacoma or what?

18. Jul 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    YotaMan2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    I think you can buy extened brake lines for our model, i just dont know where

19. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    try post up in the ss brakeline gb thread. think he might be able to help you

20. Jul 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    be sure to order your icon aal pack from dsm. marco will hook you up

Products Discussed in

To Top