1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Tacoma cummins + mid travel feeler

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by disc0monkey, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    haha, yeah.....
    do you know how much it costs to properly long travel a truck?
    and its what he wants to do so who cares. i think it will be badass

2. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    About 10 Grand to properly do LT im guessing? which leaves 8500... Thats about how much 2001 Dodge Ram cummins are going for so whats your argument? I agree the guy should do whatever he wants, I just think for almost 19K he could do a ton more better things, He could have alot more to show for his 19K. Id personally feel like an idiot showing off a 19K mod.

3. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    disc0monkey

disc0monkey [OP] All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!

Member:
    I'll send a reminder out, I mispelt the subject. I want midtravel. since i have to tune the suspension to the new weight of the drivetrain i figured why not do a little upgrade.

4. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    dieseltoys

dieseltoys Well-Known Member

Member:
    ToyComa92, we are not in the low-end market segment nor do we claim to be. That being said, I think a little research into the engine conversion market segment may be in order. There are bundles of companies offering Hemi swaps for Jeeps that make our $25k conversions look cheap. These have NO additional benefit other than power. There is a large user-base here in the USA that wants not only increased range, but better torque, and alternative/multi fuel capability, and in a reliable platform. They've looked at the big Ford/Chevy/Dodge platforms and are not keen on buying a $60,000 12 mpg rig that will lose more than half of it's value in 2 years. The problem with the "buy a Ford/Chevy/Dodge" approach is those trucks are not only $55k+ , but the cost of ownership is astronomical comparatively. If you're in the market for small, modern diesel pickup, you have no options. For a cost analysis experiment, one can go buy a brand new Tacoma, put a diesel into it, and still have $15k+ left over for goodies. Sure, you cant tow a house with it, but you'll also be seeing twice the fuel economy numbers as the Ford/Chevy/Dodge with far less headaches. Then there's the resale value...

5. Aug 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    ive thrown this idea around before and ive always wanted to do it just funds dont work right now for all that lol. just think 4BT cummins makes 150 hp but 450 ft lb of tourqe stock! you can dump a little more fuel and be making around 200 hp and close to 550 ft lb sounds like a great idea for a tacoma and be one of a kind. if i do it im going to put a stack in the bed for shits and giggles bcz everyone would wonder why you have a stack on a gas 6 cylinder then you start it up and puff the smoke hahahaha

6. Aug 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    That Second Gen that dieseltoys made is super nice. If I had the cash to do it I would do it in a heartbeat! It is going to be a long time until Toyota figures out that there is a market for mid-size diesels in the U.S. This is the only option for now unless you can do everything yourself.

7. Aug 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    dieseltoys

Member:
    We have stayed on a 14+ month waiting list since we opened the doors in 2004 so there is definitely a market there. We geared the kits to towards folks who have the ability to do the work themselves but don't have the cash to pay someone to do it.

8. Aug 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
  9. Aug 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What kind of fuel economy do you get with the diesel conversions in a Tacoma? The reason I ask is my old man's full size diesel gets better MPG unloaded than my unloaded Tacoma.

10. Aug 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    dieseltoys

Member:
    I completely agree with you. We're always hearing people say "if Toyota or jeep etc. brought this vehicle over with a diesel, I'd be the first guy in line...". Well, if you price out that vehicle overseas, it's a $45-50k truck. Now, adjust that for US marketshare and taxes etc. and you're easily at the $40k+ mark. Many people will not buy that vehicle if Toyota offered it as they cannot afford the payment. Now, that doesn't negate the capabilites of the vehicle or the people that want/need a small diesel truck. There are simply people that are prepared to pay a premium to get exactly what they want.

11. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    Midnight Drifter

Midnight Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Monroe Twp, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2TR W/T
    Flowmaster dual exhaust
    Dieseltoys, let me ask you something.

What does your company source your D4-D's from? 100k/km Shaken (since at 100k/km the Shaken inspection/registration process switches from being mandatory every 2 years to being mandatory every 6 months) trade-ins? Junkyard wrecks? Japanese engine rebuilders?

The only way I can see myself accepting of a 25k pricetag for a swap is if both the engine AND transmission are brand new from Toyota.

12. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    dieseltoys

Member:
    In order to have a successful conversion, you have to get everything from a good low-mileage donor vehicle. This means all the computers, wiring, gauges, mounts, radiator, accessories etc. all must come from the same functional vehicle. So, the cost not only includes all of these things, but shipping to our shop (+ oceanic freight, customs duties, isf bond, LTL, etc). Then you have the monumental task of fabricating, plumbing, and wiring (converting) these systems into your vehicle and making them all work. Buying a brand new engine and transmission looks great on paper, but is still a far cry from having everything necessary to make that engine/transmission work correctly in your vehicle. You can buy several low-mileage (less than 20k) conversion vehicles at auction for the price of one new one. If you were to call Toyota overseas and try to buy all the stuff brand new, it would cost you a fortune and you would still have to figure out how to make the brand new stuff work as they are not designed to fit into a Tacoma. Nothing is plug-n-play.

13. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    dieseltoys

Member:
    Here's an access cab Prerunner D-4D

IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg

14. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    Midnight Drifter

Midnight Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Monroe Twp, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2TR W/T
    Flowmaster dual exhaust
    Low mileage is always a great place to start, but what goes into ensuring that there are no failure points on the donor powertrain and that it will perform damn near like new and last a long time?

15. Aug 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    dieseltoys

Member:
    I realize that this thread has kind of been hijacked so I apologize to the OP. The importance cannot be overstated about knowing, flying over and personally meeting, and having a good relationship with your buying company overseas. We do not use a brokering service. We have our guys test run everything before we buy, run a full leak-down + compression test on each engine, and all conversions include new timing belt, water pump, cam seal, tensioner, and new serpentine belt. We also plug into the DLC3 port and check for injector variances, sensor malfunctions, as well as any CEL's. We take the buying process quite seriously because we actually do our own installs. By this I mean that it is in nobody's best interest (least of all ours) to buy something questionable and make the investment in bringing it over here with a possible problem. It would be our responsibility to then bring it up to par. We're not going to invest the money into dismantling, crating, and shipping it over to ourselves only to have issues.

16. Aug 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    CayucosTacoma

CayucosTacoma Just think outside the Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Luis Obispo/San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 4x4
    Specs in the Build Thread
  17. Aug 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Updated the thread title and grabbed popcorn. :popcorn:

18. Aug 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    cjasu

cjasu TW resident Camel

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Buies creek NC/seminole county
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner soon to be moded
    camo seat covers
    sub'd and this^^ is what i would do with a diesel tacoma lol

19. Aug 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    fgcutaco

fgcutaco Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    '09 SWB, Access Cab, 5 Lug
    Stock... For now...
    :popcorn:Subbed on this one, I have always had some crazy dream of putting a 12v cummins into a 5lug :popcorn:

20. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Subb'd

Products Discussed in