Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Rear Gear swap

Old 10-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
melliott15 is on a distinguished road
Name: Marty
melliott15's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Gear swap

I am thinking about swapping out gears, but I don't plan on lifting my truck or going with tires bigger than my 235/75/15's. I'm wondering if anyone knows if a company makes a 3.73 or 3.90 for our 5 lug trucks, cuz thats the lowest that I want to go. My truck is a 2012 tacoma 5 lug auto with the 3.58 gears. I'm just having a hard time finding any and even finding out what size axle is even in my truck.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i think the 2.7 and 4.0 have a 8.4 inch diff and the 2.4 has the 7.5 inch diff.
i'll dig around and i'll see what i can find
Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
melliott15 is on a distinguished road
Name: Marty
melliott15's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man I'm still looking myself.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
jboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to behold
jboy671's Tacoma Gallery
Will changing the rear gears affect the rpm's? I want to drop the rpm's in my xrunner when cruising in 6th gear. Or will my goal need trans and gear swap? Not trying to thread jack just looking for info.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
It'll lower or raise your rpms across the board though, not just in one gear
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
OP, check out http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/ If they can't get it for you no one can, and they are typically the lowest cost or will match competitors and offer free shipping on some larger orders. If you want to regear, they should be able to help.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
OP, check out http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/ If they can't get it for you no one can, and they are typically the lowest cost or will match competitors and offer free shipping on some larger orders. If you want to regear, they should be able to help.
These guys have great service. Fast shipping too. Id say go 3.90 so you get your moneys worth out of it imo. And for the other guy if you wanted to lower your rpms youd go from like 4.10s to 3.90s (as an example) but youd lose some torque and you wouldnt drop too much rpms. Maybe if someone could change the gearing in the tranny just for 6th gear thatd work, but idk if thats a common mod.