Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Anyone ever put Fusion Wheels on their 5 lug?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Tenderfoot
joyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ken
joyotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Question Anyone ever put Fusion Wheels on their 5 lug?

Hey y'all,

I dunno about everyone else, but I hate all the stock 5 lugger wheel options for 1st gens. I just think they're a bit too boring. So I've been looking into getting some different wheels for the truck but specifically I've been investigating OEM wheels from other makes/models. Most wheels I can find aftermarket that fit my truck just don't tickle my fancy for some reason.

I've found that the Ford Fusion wheel specs are as follows: 5-114.3 (or 5-4.5") lug pattern, roughly +40mm offset (I don't know the exact number, but it's close), and 67.1mm hub bore on their wheels. Plus, the 16" wheels are 6.5" wide so they should fit the truck without the tires rubbing I would think. So, I'm thinking about picking up a set of rims since they're pretty easy to find around me. Wondered what y'all think of the look and if anyone's ever done it. I'd also like to try and find some similar size Toyota center caps (maybe off a Camry or Highlander) to replace the Ford caps. That doesn't seem like it'd be too hard, you think?

Photoshop mock up: (Ignore the ladder rack, it's not there anymore.)

Stock:
Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Tenderfoot
joyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to behold

Wow, I'm surprised nobody even shared their opinion. Seriously y'all, I'm really curious what you think? Worth a shot? Stupid idea? I found a guy selling all 4 of those very rims off his Fusion with usable tires on CL for $150.

New photo mockup:
Before:

After:

My biggest concern is that maybe the truck's hub dust cap will extend out so far from the hub that the Fusion's wheel center caps won't fit. If that's the case, I don't think I'd go through with it. I'm not a fan of exposed hubs.

Tacoma hub:

Fusion hub:
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
If it fits and you like it, then do it! It's your truck. Looks better than the stockers if you're going with a "sport" look.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
You could paint the hub part. I'd try a test fit before I bought them if they would allow it.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Tenderfoot

Backspacing is too great on the fusion rims. Without wheel spacers and longer studs, they wouldn't fit right.

Edit: I ended up getting some mustang rims with 225/55R17s instead. Center caps fit no problem and while the backspacing is greater, they only rub the front sway bar with the wheel completely cranked.