Notices

Fitting 31x10.5/R15s, method of lift?

Old 11-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Idiot abroad
Mishael is on a distinguished road
Name: Mishael
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
Fitting 31x10.5/R15s, method of lift?

WOAH GUYS, I HAVEN'T POSTED HERE MUCH AT ALL! Beyond that, Hello. I've got an '04 manual 4 cylinder stock. I'm so damn set on getting the 31x10.5 All Terrain T/A-KO's on the Cragar Soft 8's i just got for $50/ea. but i have recently come to the conclusion that I will need some amount of lift on it.

My questions are
1. how much lift do i need to get reasonable clearance?
2. what methods of lift will provide the most cost-effective results? I'm a poor college student, after all. I was looking at AAL or new leaf packs for the back already, but I'm not sure what to do and the front I'm totally lost, especially in finding what i would need

Other Stuff
1. from the time I post this, I'm getting new tires in around 24 hours.
2. Should I abandon the whole 31" idea and go with 235/75s?
3. I guess i could always get the lift with the 235s and figure if i should do the 31x10.5s later...

SCRATCH THAT SHIT, 235's won't go on an 8" rim. I seem to have dug myself into a hole, here.

GUYS MAKE UP MY MIND FOR ME

Bottom line, I will be fitting the 31x10.5's at some point in time. What is the best lift setup for someone with minimal money but willing to upgrade shocks and in need of at least an AAL?
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100s set at 2.5 up front. Put an AAL in the rear and call it good
Old 11-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Idiot abroad
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
Is that really it? Just some new shocks and an extra leaf? Well thats doable.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Bilstein 5100s set at 2.5 up front. Put an AAL in the rear and call it good
5 lug. No 5100's.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
scaplus is on a distinguished road

scaplus's Tacoma Gallery
Your best bet would be a spacer lift, because that's the only cheap and easy method to do it, unless you have the cash and want to go long travel.

For the spacer lift, you can probably find some at Fat Bob's.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Idiot abroad
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i really dont have the cash for it. Spacers should do it?

also, i got some 12mm x 1.5" lugs from summit racing and they looked big, pulled off one of the lugs on my stock rims and they are indeed too big...they wobble on the studs. what the hell do I do about it?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishael View Post
Yeah i really dont have the cash for it. Spacers should do it?

also, i got some 12mm x 1.5" lugs from summit racing and they looked big, pulled off one of the lugs on my stock rims and they are indeed too big...they wobble on the studs. what the hell do I do about it?
If you bought them from summit then just return them. Their customer support should be able to get you the right size.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Idiot abroad
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
but what is the correct size? everywhere i look says that every tacoma ever uses 12mm x 1.5" RH lugs
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
but what is the correct size? everywhere i look says that every tacoma ever uses 12mm x 1.5" RH lugs
that's the correct size. Is it possible they sent you the wrong ones?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Idiot abroad
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
theyre all marked 12mm - 1.5
again, they fit and they thread very smoothly, but the inside looks wider in a side-by-side and they wobble on the studs

as for the lift, http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/toyota-...lug-p8505.aspx is this what i should be getting?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
theyre all marked 12mm - 1.5
again, they fit and they thread very smoothly, but the inside looks wider in a side-by-side and they wobble on the studs

as for the lift, http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/toyota-...lug-p8505.aspx is this what i should be getting?
Yes that will work for you
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Idiot abroad
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
alright my lift method is settled, but im still having a problem with the lugs. they are definitely a slightly larger bore diameter than my current lugs but theyre all marked 12x1.5 and they do thread on perfectly...should i be concerned? im not mounting the tires myself, i will have a shop do it so i guess if they notice anything thats off they should catch it

UPDATE
the tire store refused to mount my tires
Old 11-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Idiot abroad
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
They're on...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
scaplus is on a distinguished road

scaplus's Tacoma Gallery
They look great! Do you have any problems with them so far? They do look a tad close with the fenders.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
you will rub on full lock pulling into your driveway
Old 11-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #17
Idiot abroad
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
you will rub on full lock pulling into your driveway
You are exactly right, but that's about it. I took out my plastic outer guards and I rub after about 1 full steering wheel rotation, and I drive on dirt roads all the time, no problem with bumps yet. My spacer lift and AALs are on the way but it can be done on a regular cab base 2WD.
My rear leafs sag as it is and even with about 350-400 lbs in the bed I still have about two inches before my fender, the front has about 2.5-3 all the time.

I don't suggest doing this for more than a week or two if you drive as much as I do. Get the lift but I really needed new tires.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
wahvtec is on a distinguished road
wahvtec's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
looks like you need these...
Just installed these on my first gen. The thread im linking below is my build and if you scroll down theres after pics with the suspension and summit soft 8s with 235s. I also have 2" add a leafs on the back. THe spindles will widen your front stance but i kind of like it

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...per-build.html