Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Dealership OVER Serviced engine OIL.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
NOTNA is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: AET
Name: Andrew
NOTNA's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Dealership OVER Serviced engine OIL.

I brought my 2012 Tacoma 2.7L 4-cyl to my local dealer for the first maintenance free oil change and tire rotation at 4800 miles on the odometer.
I just today checked my oil level and was SHOCKED to see the oil measuring an INCH AND A HALF ABOVE the full dot. I called the dealership and the maintenance manager explained that the machines at the dealership auto-fill the trucks to a specific amount and maybe one of the machines is not calibrated correctly. He said that more oil would create air bubbles, throwing an engine code.
My odometer now reads 6800 miles so I have driven 2000 miles with the oil being over serviced. I would change the oil myself if it wasn't free. I drove the truck and got the engine warm and checked the oil with no change noted.

1)Will this hurt the engine at all?
2)Has anyone else had this issue before?

I am headed to the dealership tomorrow morning at 8AM and will post later. What do you guys think?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
This is an ongoing debate on the 2nd gen 2.7 tacomas. If you fill with the amount listed in the manual it's going to be over the full mark on the dipstick. "Which way is correct," the manual or the dipstick is the ongoing question that hasn't been officially answered from what I have seen. This has been debated on here for the past several years. Overfilling can cause too high of oil pressure which could blow a seal, underfilling and the life of the oil decreases. I don't think I've heard of anyone blowing a seal from filling to factory spec but I could be wrong.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Doubt if its overfilled . The 2.7 takes 6qts . Don't think toyota has anything over 6qts . The 2.7 dipstick sucks and mine reads high also .
Old 11-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

NOTNA's Tacoma Gallery
Wow thanks to the response. I had no idea it was that heavily debated. This is my first Tacoma of many Toyota vehicles and I have never had this issue before. I am interested to hear what the dealership says tomorrow and I will post when I get the word. You would think that toyota would possibly change the dip stick or something but who knows. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...html?locale=en

Quote:
*: The engine oil capacity is a reference quantity to be used when exchanging. Warm up and turn off the engine, wait more than 5 minutes, and check the oil level on the dipstick.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Same here. Dipstick reads over with 6 Qts. I put 6 in and call it a day.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I don't care what the manual says, the oil on the F mark on the dipstick is something that cannot be disputed by Toyota as far as any warranty issues from burning it up from too little or blowing seals from too much. If it means money out of their pockets then you can count on anything being denied, even when they did the service. If Toyota sees fit to address the discrepancy between measurements on the stick and their specs in the manual then I guess they will. Until then, 5.5 qts with a factory filter puts the level dead on F mark on the 2.7 and there is nothing that is arguable about that. 1/2 a qt less out of 6 isn't gonna matter to the motor or the life of the oil. It might on my car that takes 3.7 qts to refill but still, F on the stick puts all liability on the manufacturer as far as oil level being any issue.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #8

NOTNA's Tacoma Gallery
Spoke with the dealer and they explained that...
1)there has not been an oil change yet they are done every 10k miles.
2)the truck came from the factory over serviced.
3)there is no damage done.
4)they removed the excess oil and documented that it was over serviced from the factory.

I called toyota corporate and had them document it, receiving a case number to reference if there is ever an engine issue related to oil it would be taken care of.
Even if all of this is bs in the end at least Toyota "acted" like they were at fault.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #9

NOTNA's Tacoma Gallery
Attached is the picture of the dip stick after the the engine was hot. It is a little difficult to see but it was a solid oil mark all the way up the stick.
Have you guys seen it this high before?
Attached Thumbnails
Dealership OVER Serviced engine OIL.-photo.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTNA View Post
Attached is the picture of the dip stick after the the engine was hot. It is a little difficult to see but it was a solid oil mark all the way up the stick.
Way way too high and as I stated, the dealership put blame somewhere else didn't they? They blamed the factory. I wonder what you'd find if you went out in their lot and checked some random new 4 cyl Tacomas oil levels. Always some mysto non-blamable BS when it comes to the dealerships and corporate taking responsibility for any of their fuck ups. They'll point at each other whenever they can't get away with assigning blame to the consumer every time. They may do something for you in the end but will never accept blame on their part. Push them for a free extended drivetrain warranty for your peace of mind.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Way way too high and as I stated, the dealership put blame somewhere else didn't they? They blamed the factory. I wonder what you'd find if you went out in their lot and checked some random new 4 cyl Tacomas oil levels. Always some mysto non-blamable BS when it comes to the dealerships and corporate taking responsibility for any of their fuck ups. They'll point at each other whenever they can't get away with assigning blame to the consumer every time. Push them for a free extended drivetrain warranty for your peace of mind.
They didn't do an oil change... Why would they take blame?

Quote:
I would venture to guess that is not the correct reading... what's the other side look like?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #12

NOTNA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Way way too high and as I stated, the dealership put blame somewhere else didn't they?

I totally aggree... It is basically a blame game at this point. Like I said I spoke with Toyota Corporate and they "notated it" (I am sure this means a lot...) and we will see what happens next.

Should I push toyota for an extended engine warranty? Toyota corporate said that there was nothing further they could do because there isn't any damage. My response was, "There isn't any damage... YET!"
Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #13

NOTNA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
I would venture to guess that is not the correct reading... what's the other side look like?
The other side is identical to the shown picture side.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
They didn't do an oil change... Why would they take blame?
I did read the part about the dealership "saying" they didn't do change. Corporate won't take blame for the factory overfilling it either. Like I said, corporate and dealers are teflon as far as any blame goes and the consumer is always automatically at fault unless they can prove beyond a shadow of doubt otherwise.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #15
tomwopat is on a distinguished road

tomwopat's Tacoma Gallery
Attached is a picture of my dipstick with double oil in the engine (V6). The dealer did not drain the old oil. No damage done. They did give me an extended warranty and owned up to their mistake.
Attached Thumbnails
Dealership OVER Serviced engine OIL.-img_8202.jpg   Dealership OVER Serviced engine OIL.-img_3831.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #16

NOTNA's Tacoma Gallery
Teflon is correct. Corporate on the phone uses words like, "your concern, your perception is, you feel that..." Total BS. I asked to speak to someone else who will actually do something. The woman I spoke with was a smart ass and she said, "so you want an unlimited warranty on your engine because you FEEL it was over serviced?" Boy did that set me off...

Absolute ridiculous he said, she said, I didn't do it, but he did do it BS...
Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
You're fired.

I recommend doing your own oil.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #18

NOTNA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwopat View Post
Attached is a picture of my dipstick with double oil in the engine (V6). The dealer did not drain the old oil. No damage done. They did give me an extended warranty and owned up to their mistake.
Wow that looks just like my dip stick! They did extend you warranty too huh? That is great, I am looking into it now trying to get Toyota to extend mine as well.
At least neither of us have any "known" damage to our trucks as of now.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #19

NOTNA's Tacoma Gallery
Corporate is looking into extending my engine warranty free of charge. They will be calling me by the end of the week.
I am not holding my breathe on this one.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Teflon is correct. Corporate on the phone uses words like, "your concern, your perception is, you feel that..." Total BS. I asked to speak to someone else who will actually do something. The woman I spoke with was a smart ass and she said, "so you want an unlimited warranty on your engine because you FEEL it was over serviced?" Boy did that set me off...

Absolute ridiculous he said, she said, I didn't do it, but he did do it BS...

Now that is funny.

"Sir, So you have the perception that the oil was 2 inches higher on the stick than it should be? And you feel that the holes in your hood were caused by piston rods shooting out? Sir, when is the last time you had an eye exam?"