Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

PhOtOs: Lifted 5 lug

Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
MotoPhotog is on a distinguished road
Name: Darren
MotoPhotog's Tacoma Gallery
PhOtOs: Lifted 5 lug

Hey all, dont post much here, but figured i'd share photos of my 5 lug.

When I bought the truck I didnt really realize i had the low rider version of the 4 banger truck. But the truck wasnt parked next to any others so I didnt think anything of it until later. I didnt like the low ride and I believe to be 14" wheels with chrome caps. (eek)

I bought the truck with expectations of the access cab but still the 24mpg of the 4 cyl. I' havent done a mpg check yet, but i can tell that the truck doesnt particularly care for the area between 52-62mph. 3rd gear is at 3000rpm at 52mph but flipping to 4th lugs it at 2,000. I've always found i get the best mpg sitting right at 2500-2700rpm cruising. So if I do that now, im at a speedo corrected (gps) 70mph. Which here in seattle is a ticket. We all know if its speedo corrected to 70mph, that means on a regular unaltered tacoma, i'd be showing 74-75mph.

Thats the only thing I dont particularly care for. I was previously running original wheels/tires.

(last fall) Next I installed a READYLIFT 3" lift on the truck. Wasnt too excited about the Ubolts being painted, the bolts needed like 150lbs of pressure to spin onto the Ubolts WITH a rattle gun, so I had to stick with the original ubolts (they still worked just fine). After kit installed (which I'm not too sure i'd recommend to a friend... I stepped up to a steal of a deal I got from a friend. I picked up some 16" Rav4 wheels with regular 225/50/16's on them. I couldnt pass it up for 200 bucks. It looked better but still didnt fill the wheel wells. Once the tires hit 50% tread, I could barely accelerate away from right handed turns without spinning and no weight in the back (fall weather).

Purchased from Discount Tire a week ago.

Now I'm at the final step for me.
- READYLIFT kit ~3" lift
- 1/4 INCH PLATE SPACER FOR FRONT WHEELS. NEEDED TO SPACE WHEEL FROM CALIPER! $6 BUCKS EACH
- 16" Unique Series 42 wheels. Or as they call them "D spokes" (Zero offset)
- Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 245/75/16 tires.

The Rav4 wheels had a -30 offset which sucked the wheels/tires back into the fenderwell, and looked horrid on a tacoma. IMO.

The new wheels and tires sit right at the fender lip, sticking out about an inch.

I used the bottom of the drivers side door handle as a point of reference and the tires alone made over a 1.75" lift and 4.5" lift overall. Note this number is from the ground.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
I forgot to add that the 245/75/16's DID indeed rub, even with the lift kit, when backing up and turning the steering wheel either direction about 75% of the way. It was just the smallest, lightest of rubs, but still. I did do about 15 minutes of work on the wheel wells and now I'm good to go.

No rubbing, not even close, and it looks and rides great.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
That is a great looking 5 lug! Lift, wheels and tires completely transformed your truck.

They should look like that from the factory. Not a fan of the dinky stock wheels and tires.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
looks good! how're the MPG now?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job!

Ever thought of the full out "Stormtropper" thing some do? Would look good.

Don't see many Stormtrooped 5 Lugs
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Hey guys thanks for the compliments. I really like it thusfar. Amazingly quiet tires. Never been a huge fan of the brakes, and the quality of braking doesnt seem altered much, if at all.

Not sure what a stormtrooper look is

To make sure the fenders wouldnt rub, I had to cut the lower 6 inches of plastic off of the BACK of the wheel well, remove the four 10mm bolts that are holding on the black box. Hilarious to hear people just assume its this crazy black box of mystery! Folks, its nothing other than a protector for welded seam between the two joints. With the plastic and metal box removed (literally 5-10 min of work, MAX) I have 4" of clearance at the closest position. And thats on the back. Basically im all set. I would NOT NOT NOT recommend attempting to fit a 265/70/16 on this truck. I had them fitted, yes it looks badA... but it not only is a tight fit, but i would assume 15mpg lol.

245/75/16 is large enough, and thats what ReadyLift suggested in the first place!

Ok one more edited crappy cellphone photo!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other
fgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
fgcutaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoPhotog View Post
Hey guys thanks for the compliments. I really like it thusfar. Amazingly quiet tires. Never been a huge fan of the brakes, and the quality of braking doesnt seem altered much, if at all.

To make sure the fenders wouldnt rub, I had to cut the lower 6 inches of plastic off of the BACK of the wheel well, remove the four 10mm bolts that are holding on the black box. Hilarious to hear people just assume its this crazy black box of mystery! Folks, its nothing other than a protector for welded seam between the two joints. With the plastic and metal box removed (literally 5-10 min of work, MAX) I have 4" of clearance at the closest position. And thats on the back. Basically im all set. I would NOT NOT NOT recommend attempting to fit a 265/70/16 on this truck. I had them fitted, yes it looks badA... but it not only is a tight fit, but i would assume 15mpg lol.

245/75/16 is large enough, and thats what ReadyLift suggested in the first place!

Ok one more edited crappy cellphone photo!

First off, the truck looks awsome! It's such a better look than stock!

and second, the "stormtrooper" look is exactly what most would assume. (if you've ever seen star wars, that is) It's simply white and black, just like a stormtrooper. Basically colormatch the grill, and blackout your emblems, and all that jazz to make it all white and black
Old 11-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcutaco View Post
First off, the truck looks awsome! It's such a better look than stock!

and second, the "stormtrooper" look is exactly what most would assume. (if you've ever seen star wars, that is) It's simply white and black, just like a stormtrooper. Basically colormatch the grill, and blackout your emblems, and all that jazz to make it all white and black
Please dont hate me but nope, never been into scifi, never seen the movie. just bits and pieces.

I wanted to report back my first tank full of gas, and under pretty harsh conditions in that in the seattle area last two weeks, we probably got 15 inches of rain. The grooves in the road were always filled to rim with water, no hydroplaning, but the truck still has to push all of that out of the way.

My mileage, 369 mile tank on 18 gallons = 20.5 mpg. Bone stock The truck seemed to get 23.5 mpg. A 12% loss overall.

At 65mph (dash indicated) i'm actually going a speedo corrected 70. (via GPS). At all speeds, roughly 4-6mph more than dash says. I always go that far over speed limit, so now i usually just "drive the posted speedlimit"

Thanks for the compliments. Im not a huge 4 wheel tuner (im a motorcycle guy) but I wanted to truck to look nice and be able to do well this winter with 4 bags of sand in the back. Which I did last year. I'll try just 2 bags this year.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Scrider424 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Anthony
Scrider424's Tacoma Gallery
Hey OP where did you get the spacers that you used on your front?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #12
Will922 is on a distinguished road
Will922's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=MotoPhotog;6025682]Hey guys thanks for the compliments. I really like it thusfar. Amazingly quiet tires. Never been a huge fan of the brakes, and the quality of braking doesnt seem altered much, if at all.

Will 16X8.5 5-114.3 18MTB level 8 guardian wheels fit on my 245/75r16 tire?

Not sure what the MTB means. Also it's a 5 lug tacoma.

Thanks - Will
Old 03-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
CAD6
Sbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Scott
Sbh87's Tacoma Gallery
Some nice lookin 5-lugs here. If I still had mine I was going to do similar mods to what I see here to give it more of a 6-lug ride height.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
Fresh Taco
MFoster is on a distinguished road
MFoster's Tacoma Gallery
PhOtOs: Lifted 5 lug-img_0992-1-.jpg
Old 10-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
808tacomas is on a distinguished road
Name: kingrob
808tacomas's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks sick. Did you use a long AAL?