Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

De-estrogenizing the 5lug

Old 11-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
My truck is slow
alwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
alwaysat8k's Tacoma Gallery
De-estrogenizing the 5lug

Man, what a pain. My little build here had a lot of speed bumps.

I asked around and did plenty of research about what offset/backspacing to run for my wheels. I was told 3.75 would keep me from rubbing the sways. It didn't, I rub just a smidge only when backing up an turning and at full crank. Kinda sucks, but i'm living with it. I may consider spacers in the future.

First of all, fatbobs lift is pretty easy except for the rear. I completely underestimated how difficult it would be putting the leafs in. I think most of the issues were created by myself but anywho..

I first ordered my wheel and tire combo in late August. I ordered a set of Pro Comp Series 51, 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing (-19mm). As for the tires, I waited on back order for 3 months!! - Until finally getting pissed enough and calling BF Goodrich myself and learning they do not make the KA T/O's in 32x11.5 anymore, thanks 4 wheel parts! So, Falken Wildpeak AT it was.

So the wheels come in, I get the tires mounted - They dont fit! The center caps dont fit either, they are huge. I decided not to run any anyways. Thanks knowledgeable people at 4 wheel parts for telling me they would.

Here was the result of the wheel not fitting:

They rubbed on the lower caliper brackets. So, I trimmed about 3/8" off each side and they now fit, after mounting and dismounting the 60lb tire wheel combo 400x.

Ok thats the end of my story. Now for the pics:

Before:

After:

If anyone wants to run 32''s.. heres a few notes:

- Do not order from 4 wheel parts

- Watch the ReadyLift video religiously

- If you can, use a lift to put the lift kit on (if not, have 2 jacks to make life easier and have at least 2 jack stands).

- Rent a spring compressor to rotate the strut to accurately fit the spacer on

- 3.75bs works great with this combo, will work great with 33x12.50 as well. Must gut the inner fender wells to get them to not rub. Will not touch the sways.

- BF Goodrich does not make 32x11.50s TA K/O's anymore, so don't wait even if two different tire shops tell you they are on national back order.

- Make sure you see the back of the wheel before purchase, and don't be a dummy like me and fit the tires on before mounting and ensuring fitment.

- If you want 33x12.50, run 3.75bs or less and gut the wheel wells.

Thanks for looking.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
so how is the light output on the headlights, they and the tails seem a bit too dark.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
nice looking truck! Er, minus the blacked out lights.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Please, paint that pinch weld.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Might be the nicest 5 lug I've ever seen!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
My truck is slow
alwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
so how is the light output on the headlights, they and the tails seem a bit too dark.
It's not bad, definitely some light loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
nice looking truck! Er, minus the blacked out lights.
Thanks, to each is their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Please, paint that pinch weld.
From the black box mod? Hmm.. Didn't notice it that much so it didn't bother me. Maybe I'll spray it black sometime, I'm burnt out on this thing for now. Thanks though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayNnite4 View Post
Might be the nicest 5 lug I've ever seen!
Thanks a lot man!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Pinch weld mod link:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...inch-weld.html
Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Just a Taco guy, both food & truck
TheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheRedTac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christopher
TheRedTac0's Tacoma Gallery
This looks sick! I'm running on 31x10.5 Falken Wildpeaks!
But I like black housing headlights instead of smoked headlights IMO
Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Not a bad looking rig but no 4wd well I guess that takes the guess work out for putting in an ARB in the rear. Very nice truck though
Old 11-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysat8k View Post
It's not bad, definitely some light loss.
I like the truck, the lights are just too much for me though.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

- Although I was told 3.75 backspacing or -19mm offset will ensure no rubbing, it didn't. I would go for 4in+ on the backspacing. This will allow enough space to ensure no rubbing on your sways.

Do you mean LESS backspacing?
More wheel backspacing will bring the tires in closer to the frame, less backspacing pushes the tires out farther from the frame.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
My truck is slow
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
Not a bad looking rig but no 4wd well I guess that takes the guess work out for putting in an ARB in the rear. Very nice truck though
I couldnt see spending the extra money for a 4wd, I dont use it and dont need it. They dont make manual 2wd 4cyl prerunners anymore or I would have bought one. i sold my e46 bmw m3 to get into something cheaper. Thanks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedTac0 View Post
This looks sick! I'm running on 31x10.5 Falken Wildpeaks!
But I like black housing headlights instead of smoked headlights IMO
Thanks man, yeah I love the tires. They were cheap. As for the black headlight mod, ive done it on my s2k and had bad results. My buddy just did it on his titan and same deal lol. I said screw it, i just sprayed em. Cheap way out but to the hell with it. Your truck looks good. I wanted to be a little different with the 32s, but I kinda wish I didn't have the rubbing and running 31's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Checking it now. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post

Do you mean LESS backspacing?
More wheel backspacing will bring the tires in closer to the frame, less backspacing pushes the tires out farther from the frame.
Oops, my bad. Good catch, thanks! Its now fixed. Long day compounding and polishing the truck,I need a drink lol.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other
fgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
fgcutaco's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks awesome man! I know you said you had bad luck with the BHLM but there are some excellent write ups about it on here.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I waited on back order for 3 months!! - Until finally getting pissed enough and calling BF Goodrich myself and learning they do not make the KA T/O's in 32x11.5 anymore, thanks 4 wheel parts!
Ditto.

Ordered a couple of parts from them for my Duramax back in '05.
Never got the parts. Found out that one was discontinued, and the other was readily available and in-stock at a couple of other shops.

My transmission guy said that 4WP was having serious cashflow problems and he had heard the story a number of times about vendors not shipping.

The company has obviously managed to survive, but it doesn't sound like their CS is any better.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
My truck is slow
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcutaco View Post
Truck looks awesome man! I know you said you had bad luck with the BHLM but there are some excellent write ups about it on here.
Thanks! Yeah I might try it again depending on if the dimmage bothers me enough. I really dont drive much at night anyways. Its usually just a back and forth to work vehicle and maybe to the parts store or home depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ditto.

Ordered a couple of parts from them for my Duramax back in '05.
Never got the parts. Found out that one was discontinued, and the other was readily available and in-stock at a couple of other shops.

My transmission guy said that 4WP was having serious cashflow problems and he had heard the story a number of times about vendors not shipping.

The company has obviously managed to survive, but it doesn't sound like their CS is any better.
Yeah man, I just dont know what to say. The wheel ordeal pissed me off the most, not to mention the center caps not fitting, or the tire issue. Oh and I even forgot to mention, 3 of 5 wheels had f-ing dings and knicks on them. They shipped them in a cardboard box with no packaging.. I mean yeah they were cheap (about 230$ shipped for 5), but still! How much does some packing peanuts or filler cost?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other
fgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
fgcutaco's Tacoma Gallery
Have you thought about doing a color matched grille and rear bumper? IMO that would look unreal, especially with a color matched satoshi! LOL
Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
My truck is slow
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcutaco View Post
Have you thought about doing a color matched grille and rear bumper? IMO that would look unreal, especially with a color matched satoshi! LOL
Yep Those are my next two mods, among blacking out my emblems and I think I might purchase these for my bedsides from sockmonkey, think it might be too much? I like a clean refreshed look with similar colors, black, gray, white, etc.
No Satoshi's for 2012 grills yet. Guess I will wait and see. As for right now, I definitely like it much better than the previous models! I hated the stock 2010 grille my old prerunner had. Once I plastidip or spray the cheapo chrome it will look primo. I think I want to get the actual paint matched and spray the bumper instead of plasti dipping it, aswell as the grille. I don't think the plasti dip will match the superwhite. I havent done my research yet.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Those covers make it a lawsuit waiting to happen!

Other than that I like it.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
My truck is slow
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
Those covers make it a lawsuit waiting to happen!

Other than that I like it.
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #20
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
This truck looks so great in my opinion! I love the super white/ blacked out combo! One day I hope to buy one and do the same.