LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

5 lug upgrade to electric locking differential?

Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
smbrewer is on a distinguished road
smbrewer's Tacoma Gallery
5 lug upgrade to electric locking differential?

New here and got a question:

I have a 2008 access cab. I understand that in 2009 Toyota added an electronic locking rear differential. Is it possible to "upgrade" to this axle and if so, what else would be needed. I'm just looking for some extra traction in snow and dirt. Perhaps just a limited slip would be better?

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
are you trying to swap the whole axle or just the 3rd?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
You'd have to swap the whole rear axle to an e-locker rear end.

You'd need the entire e-locker harness (not sure if you can buy it seperately).
Module(I believe there's a module to operate the locker.
Dash Switch

Personally I would wire it up myself with a wiring diagram.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

dont forget youd be making the rear of the truck 6 lug meaning you would need 2 different wheels with different bolt patterns... youd be better off getting an aftermarket elocker
Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Good point^^

Wondering if you can swap out the 5lug axle shafts into the 6 lug e locker rear end? Either way, the non e-locker six is stronger, so it's better to put a locker in your axle.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #6

might be possible but im thinking spline count is different but you never know
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Good point^^

Wondering if you can swap out the 5lug axle shafts into the 6 lug e locker rear end? Either way, the non e-locker six is stronger, so it's better to put a locker in your axle.
i think i read somewhere that the shafts and spline are the same, so you could have a 6 lug rear and swap it to 5 lug.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Waste of time, effort, and money. Just put a after market locker in.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Waste of time, effort, and money. Just put a after market motor in.
motor? this is about diffs.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Waste of time, effort, and money. Just put a after market motor in.
lolz
Old 12-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
i think i read somewhere that the shafts and spline are the same, so you could have a 6 lug rear and swap it to 5 lug.
might be true but then again better safe than sorry
Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
motor? this is about diffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
lolz
Distractions lol
Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #14

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ford 302 swap and a spooled 9"
yyyyeeeaaahhhh buddy.
Quote:
might be true but then again better safe than sorry
go to a junk yard and tear some diffs down and rebuild them with each others parts.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #15

Quote:
yyyyeeeaaahhhh buddy.

go to a junk yard and tear some diffs down and rebuild them with each others parts.
not alot of newer tacomas in every junkyard. most around here dont even get toyotas
Old 12-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #16

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not alot of newer tacomas in every junkyard. most around here dont even get toyotas
forgot we were talking 2nd ten.
that might pose a problem with what i said earlier, because i think that was for 1st gens.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
that might pose a problem with what i said earlier, because i think that was for 1st gens.
Axle spline count should be the same between 5 and 6 lugs for the second gens too. I put a prebuilt third with 4.10 gears and an eaton LSD in mine with no problem. The third was originally built for a Sequoia and the guy I bought it from was going to put it in his 6 lug tacoma. I had to get the pinion flange changed but that was it.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #18
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Ok first off, a Ford 302 is a pile, if you're not putting a Toyota motor in, the next step down in a Chevy LS (corvette) motor mind you.

Secondly, an electric locker is not that great. More moving parts, more money to throw into a interesting yet horrible design. You can get away with a regular locker just fine and not have to worry about an electronic connection issue and tire wear.

Third, if you want to keep the same lug pattern, (you can keep the rear end you have now) swap to an X-runner rear end which is still 30 spline, a little wider and can bolt up to your current rear drive line set up, has locker options and can handle a good amount of HP and torque for the trails.

But number #3 isn't necessary, its a necessity.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Also 1st gen 5 lug is 7.5 6 lug is 8.4 or 8