Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

New suspension!!! (If they'll fit)

Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Minnis12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Minnis12's Tacoma Gallery
New suspension!!! (If they'll fit)

So I'm gonna buy a set of the OEM TRD Bilstein shocks off a local guy. I was curious if they will fit. I called Toyota and the guy said they should but I just wanted to see if anyone on here has first hand experience with them and howich difference they will make in ride and lift. I have a 2009 4cyl base model and I'm hoping for a smoother ride and better performance off the pavement.
Attached Thumbnails
New suspension!!! (If they'll fit)-image.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
If those came off of a six lug they will not fit.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I see you posted this in the 5-lug section. Do you have a 5-lug 2WD truck? If so, the 6-lug shocks pictured will not fit.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

Ya I got a 5 lugger and what is the difference in the 5 and 6 lug as far as the suspension tubes?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnis12 View Post
Ya I got a 5 lugger and what is the difference in the 5 and 6 lug as far as the suspension tubes?
Geometry of the suspension system.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #6

Is it how they fit or would it throw off balance? So there's no possible way to properly install 6 lug suspension?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
nope
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
fender104 is a jewel in the roughfender104 is a jewel in the roughfender104 is a jewel in the rough

Marines: 10th Marines
Name: stanley
fender104's Tacoma Gallery
The rear shocks will fit if you add a leaf. The fronts will not fit no matter what you do.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fender104 View Post
The rear shocks will fit if you add a leaf. The fronts will not fit no matter what you do.
It will if he cuts off the shock tower and welds another 6" on! lol.

In all seriousness though, there are a lot of people selling their "mid travel" setups because they're jumping to long travel. I'm sure you can find a good deal out there if you're looking for a little bit of lift.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fender104 View Post
Remember you will need at least a 3" bump stop with the 6lug shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oowen View Post
Geometry of the suspension system.
can anyone comment on the differences and pro/cons of each design?

six lug obviously has a taller spindle right? perhaps a bigger shock travel/suspension travel ratio.

When both in mid-travel form, 5lug and 6lugs have the same travel figures.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Travel figures may be similar, but static ride height are different. If a mid-travel 5-lugger is as tall as a stock 6-lugger, then a mid-travel 6-lugger sits another 3" higher.

The 6-lug truck is simply designed to sit taller - this to fit the 4x4 transfer case and front diff under the truck. The shock bucket, control arm mounts and spindles are designed to accommodate the greater height distance between the frame and the wheel hub. The 6-lug lower control arm is positioned lower relative to the hub to make room for the CV joint.

So I guess you can say the 5-lug suspension geometry is suitable for 2WD while the 6-lug suspension geometry is suitable for 4WD truck design.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The 6-lug spindle doesn't weight much compared to the brake disc and caliper. And the 6-lug brake with 4-piston calipers is significantly more powerful.