Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Lift Nightmare and failure, Suggestions?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Idiot abroad
Mishael is on a distinguished road
Name: Mishael
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
Question Lift Nightmare and failure, Suggestions?

I bit off way too much to chew, and now I'm stuck. My truck has 31x10.5 R15s and it has no lift. I turn my wheel more than 1 full rotation (~30% turn) i rub. If i hit any bump, i rub. curbs are horrible, turns suck, my body is taking a beating (fender flares are going to solve the body blemishes) and i dont know what to do. I bought the coil spacer and AAL from Fat Bob's garage, and also the U-bolts from ToyTec and we ran into three problems when trying to install them.

1. The AAL was WAY too arched to even mildly look like it would fit, even when we had the truck up on the lift. It was obvious it would not work

2. The U-Bolts (which were specified for the 2004 5-lug) were rectangular, not actual u-bolts. Since the 04 5 lug is axle over leaf, it requires true U shaped bolts. Wouldnt work there either

3. I couldnt get my damn springs compressed. We bent a high quality compression tool (30 year old MAC tool, built when shit was really good) and we broke one stud holding my shock in place. We never even saw the top of the coil.

Ive driven 7000 miles on these tires already, i want to fix this. Im thinking a new leaf pack but what do i do for the front? Ride quality does not matter to me.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
In coil spacer, top spacer? Either will work, you would have to disassemble the coil/strut for the in coil spacer. If you think it's out of your league you could take it to a garage and they will install them for you.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Idiot abroad
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
yes top spacer. i took it to a retired mechanic friend, worked on it with his brother (who is my boss) and me, we couldnt get anything. We couldnt disassemble anything because the bushings for the support arms were mostly shot, so if we took them apart i would have to schell out big bucks to get them repacked. Is there a wedge type coil spacer i can do for the time being?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
From what i've heard 5'lugs really aren't designed to be lifted, but I don't really know much about them other than the coil springs are alot smaller than a 6lug's, so that's probably your problem with getting them compressed. Sounds like the spacer is simply too big for them and your AAL is probably designed for 6 lug springs , which are probably different than yours. My guess would be that your suspension simply isn't set up to handle a lift.

Edit: let me rephrase, Your suspension simply isn't set up to handleTHAT lift. You probably have a kit designed for a 6 lug truck, which has a taller ride height, therefore making it impossible to install on a 5-lug truck.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Idiot abroad
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaKid62 View Post
From what i've heard 5'lugs really aren't designed to be lifted, but I don't really know much about them other than the coil springs are alot smaller than a 6lug's, so that's probably your problem with getting them compressed. Sounds like the spacer is simply too big for them and your AAL is probably designed for 6 lug springs , which are probably different than yours. My guess would be that your suspension simply isn't set up to handle a lift.

Edit: let me rephrase, Your suspension simply isn't set up to handleTHAT lift. You probably have a kit designed for a 6 lug truck, which has a taller ride height, therefore making it impossible to install on a 5-lug truck.
Everything that i bought was for a 5 Lug, 4 Cyl 2001-2004 tacoma. its not that the spacers wouldnt fit, i couldnt get the coil compressed enough to even fit my finger between the coil and the coil's seat
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'd say try a different coil compressor or go to a shop that has a hydraulic or electric one. The threaded ones with the tabs can be a pain in the ass.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Don't typical spacers have a certain number of holes, and then a certain number of studs in the spacer?

-Should just have to remove the strut assembly. Then place the coil spacer on top the entire strut mount/assembly. There should be holes in the spacer to fit over the studs in the strut mount. Then use nuts that were attaching strut to truck and install them now where the same studs stick up through the spacer.

The spacer should then have studs on it. They should line up with the holes in the body of the truck. You should have been supplied the same number of new nuts as well. Place strut assembly with coil spacer on top back onto the truck.

-Maybe you have an "in coil spacer" style? I dunno, I'm just assuming on this one. I know this pic has 2 styles of coil spacer lifts, which style are you trying to use?

-Reuse the Ubolts. Torque correctly and check it again after 250/500 miles.

-Again, dosen't a coil spacer sit ON TOP of the entire strut assembly?, if so, you do not need to disassemble your current struts, no need to compress the springs.

-If the AAL came with the "5 Lug" kit, then use it. Get the leafs apart and put the AAL in there and get it all back together. A couple big C clamps would work really well here.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
like quaker said. if you got a top plate spacer it should go on TOP of the whole assembly. you shouldn't need a spring compressor.

as far as the aal goes, if you think about it, in order to get lift you need to have more arch in the leaf since the truck is spring under. I would try the leaf slowly put it down and if it sits fine then its all good. your kit is supposed to be for a 5 lug so it should work

EDIT: post up some pics of everything so we can see what you are working with
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
rot-roh!

i think you are biting off more than you can chew. top place spacer..you dont need a spring compressor..

AAL..yes, the archs are not gonna match..if they matched you would get no lift (except maybe the thickness of the bar)

tow truck or throw up the bat signal for help. where are you located?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
The 1st gen 5 lugs require a coil compressor. It is very difficult to install. Are you sure you have the correct kit? Best of my knowledge only choices are fabtech 3 inch coil, v6 coil, daystar 1 inch poly spacer and downey 3 inch coils.

For the rear you can also use 2 inch lift shackles.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
I bet they sent you a 2nd gen kit or 6 lug
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Dirty mall crawler

I'd first check your part numbers to make sure they sent you the right parts firstoff. Then im not sure. Can you evenn get the strut assembly out?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Did you pull the leafs completely off of the truck? You're not gonna get them to fit while they are still attached to the truck.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
what type of spring compressor did you use? theres 2 different types. one goes inside the other go outside. ive installed 2 sets of those spacers. both sides in a few hours using nothing but hand tools. make sure this is the spacer you have

if they look different you have the wrong ones. easiest way is to disconnect the uca from the upper ball joint. pull the caliper hang it from the frame pull the spindle and use the external spring compressor from the local auto parts. disconnect the sway bar and loosen the lca and strut rod bolts. grab the jack and slightly jack up the lower arm get the spring compressors on tighten them snug and jack up a little more repeat till the coil look super short and drop the jack. the whole spring should come out. pop the spacer on the top and throw it back together. heres some pics of one install i did.

hope this helps you! also you can buy a set of fabtech 3" lift spindles and keep a factory like ride
Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other
fgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
fgcutaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post

tow truck or throw up the bat signal for help. where are you located?