Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

5 lugger off road thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
TacoMan1911 is on a distinguished road
TacoMan1911's Tacoma Gallery
5 lugger off road thread

Anyone use their 5 lugger like a trd offroad 4x4 prerunner?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Minnis12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Minnis12's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I do. And I actually have some questions if anyone else chimes in.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMan1911 View Post
Anyone use their 5 lugger like a trd offroad 4x4 prerunner?
Do you mean as in stock use or modifications?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
when i first got my truck i did a little bit of offroading, nothing crazy. I havent since then but im gonna try going with the TW group out here in march, we will see how it goes haha
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

Ya the group around here does a offroad trip every year to Sicily island and I was thinking about going and I wanna have a few things done before time.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other
fgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
fgcutaco's Tacoma Gallery
The only real wheeling I do is finding a dirt road and doing some donuts. Can't quite do too much with a stock 5 lug...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcutaco View Post
The only real wheeling I do is finding a dirt road and doing some donuts. Can't quite do too much with a stock 5 lug...
they are pretty capable trucks. Mud probably isnt the best since its open dif but ive seen pics of nesslerah's (sp?) truck and it can do a lot. Obviously you can't go rock crawling but its got more in it than dirt roads
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
they are pretty capable trucks. Mud probably isnt the best since its open dif but ive seen pics of nesslerah's (sp?) truck and it can do a lot. Obviously you can't go rock crawling but its got more in it than dirt roads
here are my thoughts on the 5lug:

you cannot compare a 5lug to a 4x4, so end that discussion.

What I will compare is the 5lug to a prerunner.
In Midtravel form they have the same front end travel!
MT in the front costs about the same.
In my mind, if you shell out the cash for MT you have closed the gap on the prerunner.

Here are the differences:
  • Prerunner
  • taller (better ground clearance)
  • bigger tires
  • "better" looks
  • V6 option
  • spring over axle (axle wrap, less uptravel, need monies for SUA conversion which already equipped on 5lug)
  • Cheaper options for rear leaf pack (AP)
  • more used front end parts available
  • 5Lug
  • same travel but lower to the ground (better handing)
  • smaller tire (better MPGs and power)
  • need gear swap
  • Spring under axle (needs pricier custom leaf pack, but gives more uptravel that SOA, which better suits higher speed offroading, where 2wd shines anyway)
  • cheaper base price
  • need wheels with different offset
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Joels98taco;6442762]yezzir

And what's da do you have done? Cause I want a lift but I've heard the ready lift is terrible for offroad use and that's really the only lift I can get without spending my life savings on chaos fab mid travel
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
Spindles and spring spacers up front wih an icon aal
Old 02-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other
fgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfgcutaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
fgcutaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not all of our trucks are open diffs. Ive got a lsd the other problem i have is that the only real thing around me to wheel is dirt roads, mud, and parking lots...
Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

What type of wheeling are you trying to do?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #14

Basic trails and some mid level trails if possible. And some mud not much but mud usually just appears.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #15

If its low speed the readylift will suit you fine anything moderate to high speed youll need to upgrade your front shocks
Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #16

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcutaco View Post
Not all of our trucks are open diffs. Ive got a lsd the other problem i have is that the only real thing around me to wheel is dirt roads, mud, and parking lots...
ohh i didnt realize that, maybe its the newer ones? or access cabs? i wish i had atleast an LSD, i was helping my friends move some stuff and i pulled up a hill kind of sideways and started flexing...then my truck stopped haha i need more rear travel haha
Old 02-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
I "sort of" do. I dig the high speed open trails we have around here and the 2wd is perfectly suited for that. That being said, within two hours of taking possession of my Taco she was gettin' some new shoes. That made a HUGE difference! The only place I've gotten stuck is in some deep snow.

A MT kit is definitely in the future.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #18

What kind of front suspension upgrades are out there? I wish I could get 5100s for it.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #19

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnis12 View Post
What kind of front suspension upgrades are out there? I wish I could get 5100s for it.
basically spacer, TC mid travel, TC long travel or american motorsports mid travel. im not sure if that is done though. I think the american motorsports uses a lift spindle and UCA with coilover so i think that will be pretty sweet.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #20
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
basically spacer, TC mid travel, TC long travel or american motorsports mid travel. im not sure if that is done though. I think the american motorsports uses a lift spindle and UCA with coilover so i think that will be pretty sweet.
Last I checked they didn't have it finished yet. That being said, I was drinking when I checked. Actually, I'm even drunker now so I could be doubly wrong.......