Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Aftermarket Locker

Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I have an aussie in my rear axle. Lunchbox lockers are loud. You must take corners slower, and overall drive careful. Or else they will damage the rear axle potentially and also ruin your tires. Overall, they do perform well though.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
I have an aussie in my rear axle. Lunchbox lockers are loud. You must take corners slower, and overall drive careful. Or else they will damage the rear axle potentially and also ruin your tires. Overall, they do perform well though.
You've been happy with that? Or did you wish you had an ARB?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #25
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran View Post
You've been happy with that? Or did you wish you had an ARB?
More than happy with it and definitely do not want an ARB. I am not a fan of ARB...
Old 02-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #27
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
why jw??
I don't like having to rely on a compressor or extra electrics that come with it. I also do not like having air lines where if for some reason one breaks, then my axle is exposed to the elements and potentially can blow the diff if water and crap gets in. Ontop of that they are very expensive. I spent less than a third of what it costs for an ARB runs to lock my axle.

Some guys would say they want it to double up the compressor to fill tires...CO2 is more reliable tho and cheaper for that bit.

Just my personal opinion.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #28
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
More than happy with it and definitely do not want an ARB. I am not a fan of ARB...
Quote:
I don't like having to rely on a compressor or extra electrics that come with it. I also do not like having air lines where if for some reason one breaks, then my axle is exposed to the elements and potentially can blow the diff if water and crap gets in. Ontop of that they are very expensive. I spent less than a third of what it costs for an ARB runs to lock my axle.

Some guys would say they want it to double up the compressor to fill tires...CO2 is more reliable tho and cheaper for that bit.

Just my personal opinion.
Okay fair enough and good to know. So, in your opinion, would what I am thinking about doing seem good to go? My buddies here in NM say it will but none of them have done this to a 5lug haha
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #29
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay fair enough and good to know. So, in your opinion, would what I am thinking about doing seem good to go? My buddies here in NM say it will but none of them have done this to a 5lug haha
Can't go wrong with a lock-right or an aussie IMO....but I can't be the one to make the judgement call as it's your rig. Depends on how much you intend to wheel and what you're driving style is like.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #30
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can't go wrong with a lock-right or an aussie IMO....but I can't be the one to make the judgement call as it's your rig. Depends on how much you intend to wheel and what you're driving style is like.
Well I use the taco as a daily driver and I've taken it out on our meets but can't really use it because it needs to be locked. I'd like the piece of mind knowing I can get out of tight spots and wheel if needed slash when I wanted to
Old 02-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #31
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do it yourself? How much? How is it lasting and do you think it was worth it? Sorry for all the question bombardments
I think I bought the third completely assembled (4.10 gears with LSD) for around $400. I tried to install it myself and would've if I had remembered that the particular third I bought had been built for a Sequoia. They use a different pinion flange. Since I forgot about this, I removed my third, put the new one in, realized my error, then took it back out and mine back in. Then I got the flange replaced. After that I didn't want to fool with it again so I took it to a shop and let them install it for 2-300 I think.

I don't offroad too much other than when I go hunting. I primarily bought the third so that I could regear for 31's and the LSD was a good bonus. I'm okay with the performance of the LSD. I understand it's limits and don't push it. If I were going to do more serious offroading I would go with a locker.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #32
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I think I bought the third completely assembled (4.10 gears with LSD) for around $400. I tried to install it myself and would've if I had remembered that the particular third I bought had been built for a Sequoia. They use a different pinion flange. Since I forgot about this, I removed my third, put the new one in, realized my error, then took it back out and mine back in. Then I got the flange replaced. After that I didn't want to fool with it again so I took it to a shop and let them install it for 2-300 I think.

I don't offroad too much other than when I go hunting. I primarily bought the third so that I could regear for 31's and the LSD was a good bonus. I'm okay with the performance of the LSD. I understand it's limits and don't push it. If I were going to do more serious offroading I would go with a locker.
Okay so you didn't get a locker at all? You just wanted to re gear for more power on your 31s? I'm running 32s and would love to be at 4.10 hahah
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #33
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Hey op I just received a email from arb

Free ARB Compressors
with the Purchase of
ARB Air Lockers!
Buy any one (1) ARB Air Locker, locking differential and receive
one (1) ARB Compact Compressor (part number CKSA12) absolutely
FREE!

-OR-

Buy any two (2) ARB Air Locker, locking differentials and receive
one (1) ARB Hi-Output Compressor (part number CKMA12) absolutely FREE!

Promo Code: SPRING2013PROMO

*Normal fitting charges apply. This offer is not to be used in conjunction
with any other offer.
Offer Valid: March 1st - May 31st, 2013
Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #34
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay so you didn't get a locker at all? You just wanted to re gear for more power on your 31s? I'm running 32s and would love to be at 4.10 hahah
He put in a limited slip differential. It is another option. It is friendly on pavement since it is an open diff until it senses too much of a torque difference between the wheels. However, depending on the design, if you get a wheel up in the air, it won't lock up. Easy to fix by applying a bit of braking when this happens.

Unlike the lockrite, it will require changing out the carrier.

The Detroit TruTrac is well regarded. It is gear driven so fairly robust compared to a clutch style LSD.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #35
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
Hey op I just received a email from arb

Free ARB Compressors
with the Purchase of
ARB Air Lockers!
Buy any one (1) ARB Air Locker, locking differential and receive
one (1) ARB Compact Compressor (part number CKSA12) absolutely
FREE!

-OR-

Buy any two (2) ARB Air Locker, locking differentials and receive
one (1) ARB Hi-Output Compressor (part number CKMA12) absolutely FREE!

Promo Code: SPRING2013PROMO

*Normal fitting charges apply. This offer is not to be used in conjunction
with any other offer.
Offer Valid: March 1st - May 31st, 2013

Thanks man! You're my hero!!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #36
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
He put in a limited slip differential. It is another option. It is friendly on pavement since it is an open diff until it senses too much of a torque difference between the wheels. However, depending on the design, if you get a wheel up in the air, it won't lock up. Easy to fix by applying a bit of braking when this happens.

Unlike the lockrite, it will require changing out the carrier.

The Detroit TruTrac is well regarded. It is gear driven so fairly robust compared to a clutch style LSD.
Great to know Tom! I really need to get better at this stuff. Haha
Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #37
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
So I ordered an ARB locker new third that'll be regeared to 4.10. I also got a mini air compressor kit.. all for ECGS. Now the waiting game begins, Ill be sure to keep everyone posted!

Reasoning for ARB. Resale value and I can choose when and where to lock. The lockrite just seems kinda scary knowing that it may or may not damage anything... I guess piece of mind haha...
Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #39
roadtared is on a distinguished road
Navy: Served as communications and Base Police
Name: Ed
roadtared's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the response KC. Have you gotten the ARB on yet? I like your reasoning for going with it, I agree having the switch ability will be less intimidating to most people who aren't mechanically inclined. I'm new to this as well and appreciate your answer to my question. Do you have a link to ARB's website?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #40
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I also do not like having air lines where if for some reason one breaks, then my axle is exposed to the elements and potentially can blow the diff if water and crap gets in.
Since I'm relatively new to the world of offroading, I'm wondering just how likely a scenario this is. I mean, considering how popular air lockers seem to be, I've never really heard of this kind of disaster happening. To be fair, when I first did research on rear lockers the "what if an air line snaps?" question was my first concern. Just trying to figure out if the possibility of this occurring is enough to deter me away from ARB...