LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Aftermarket Locker

Old 03-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #41
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtared View Post
Thanks for the response KC. Have you gotten the ARB on yet? I like your reasoning for going with it, I agree having the switch ability will be less intimidating to most people who aren't mechanically inclined. I'm new to this as well and appreciate your answer to my question. Do you have a link to ARB's website?
http://www.arbusa.com/

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/
If you order through ECGS they can install your locker in the third member for you (or if you don't need a new third you can have a local shop do it for you).

Haven't gotten the locker yet. I'm getting too antsy! But can't wait man!!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #42
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Since I'm relatively new to the world of offroading, I'm wondering just how likely a scenario this is. I mean, considering how popular air lockers seem to be, I've never really heard of this kind of disaster happening. To be fair, when I first did research on rear lockers the "what if an air line snaps?" question was my first concern. Just trying to figure out if the possibility of this occurring is enough to deter me away from ARB...
Honestly I was thinking the same thing but as long as you properly tuck it away you'll be fine. My buddy has an ARB front and rear locker for a few years now and he's never had that issue or even worried about it.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #43
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Since I'm relatively new to the world of offroading, I'm wondering just how likely a scenario this is. I mean, considering how popular air lockers seem to be, I've never really heard of this kind of disaster happening. To be fair, when I first did research on rear lockers the "what if an air line snaps?" question was my first concern. Just trying to figure out if the possibility of this occurring is enough to deter me away from ARB...
Oh It may never happen. But I live in Arizona where temps get to the extreme and mind you with my jeep I tend to be a bit more ballsy-er. It hits high 40s (Celsius) out here in the summers easy. But why run the risk? Not worth it to me. I don't want to rely on those extra components. For people who rarely wheel and mostly DD, And when they do wheel it's very light, easy stuff, then ARB would be the way to go. But then again, rises the question of if you'd even need a locker.

In the SFA and wheelers world, the motto goes "there is no such thing as over-building a rig"
Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #44
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
For people who rarely wheel and mostly DD, And when they do wheel it's very light, easy stuff, then ARB would be the way to go. But then again, rises the question of if you'd even need a locker.
Makes sense, and that's a very good point. That being said, those of us who only have power to the rear wheels kinda need all the help we can get.

Quote:
In the SFA and wheelers world, the motto goes "there is no such thing as over-building a rig"
True dat.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #45
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Oh It may never happen. But I live in Arizona where temps get to the extreme and mind you with my jeep I tend to be a bit more ballsy-er. It hits high 40s (Celsius) out here in the summers easy. But why run the risk? Not worth it to me. I don't want to rely on those extra components. For people who rarely wheel and mostly DD, And when they do wheel it's very light, easy stuff, then ARB would be the way to go. But then again, rises the question of if you'd even need a locker.

Not sure what temperature has to do with it. I lived in Tucson for a decade and knew a few guys that wheeled hard with ARBs and did fine. If the worry is the bare nylon, stainless steel kits are available. If the worry is snagging the line, then braking would be a big worry too. (it is admitted that random shit does happen though) Most guys run the compressor in the engine bay so it is sucking hotter-than-ambient-temperature-air air in and the lockers still run fine.

It all comes down to end goals. Mechanical lockers work fine for DD if you have a longer wheelbase and don't mind a little wear on the tires. Living in a colder climate where ice is common, a mechanical locker in the rear axle wouldn't make sense. Having the anchor wheel that an open diff provides serves a purpose at times. Mechanical lockers do have their benefits since they are mechanically simpler which should equate to more reliability (again, random shit is admitted to happen)

For the ARB, if the compressor fails, you got an open diff. Hopefully you haven't got yourself out in the middle of nowhere where the locker would have made a difference in getting home. If you have, might be a good lesson about wheeling alone. They are more complicated and costly but to some, provide benefits worth it since the locker can be turned off, saving on tires and making road handling a bit more predictable. As for reliability, I know a certain individual who has repeatedly demonstrated that the CV axles fail before the locker.

It all comes down to cost vs. performance, how big is your wallet versus what you want it to do.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #46
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Not sure what temperature has to do with it. I lived in Tucson for a decade and knew a few guys that wheeled hard with ARBs and did fine. If the worry is the bare nylon, stainless steel kits are available. If the worry is snagging the line, then braking would be a big worry too. (it is admitted that random shit does happen though) Most guys run the compressor in the engine bay so it is sucking hotter-than-ambient-temperature-air air in and the lockers still run fine.

It all comes down to end goals. Mechanical lockers work fine for DD if you have a longer wheelbase and don't mind a little wear on the tires. Living in a colder climate where ice is common, a mechanical locker in the rear axle wouldn't make sense. Having the anchor wheel that an open diff provides serves a purpose at times. Mechanical lockers do have their benefits since they are mechanically simpler which should equate to more reliability (again, random shit is admitted to happen)

For the ARB, if the compressor fails, you got an open diff. Hopefully you haven't got yourself out in the middle of nowhere where the locker would have made a difference in getting home. If you have, might be a good lesson about wheeling alone. They are more complicated and costly but to some, provide benefits worth it since the locker can be turned off, saving on tires and making road handling a bit more predictable. As for reliability, I know a certain individual who has repeatedly demonstrated that the CV axles fail before the locker.

It all comes down to cost vs. performance, how big is your wallet versus what you want it to do.
Haha silly Silas! Totally agree with Tom though. Great explanation!

On a side note for all those subd for progress. My stuff is shipped and will be here the 13th. Now I have no patience
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #47
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran View Post

On a side note for all those subd for progress. My stuff is shipped and will be here the 13th. Now I have no patience
There better be pictures!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #49
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
Im looking at getting a locker myself, i just took my truck out yesterday to test out my new lift and was getting nowhere in situations where my driving wheel was fully extended down and the other wheel was tucked right up in my fender. dont think i have the wallet for an ARB but it doesnt look like mechanical lockers are getting a great review for DDs.

on a side note, cant wait for pics
Old 03-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #50
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geem750 View Post
Im looking at getting a locker myself, i just took my truck out yesterday to test out my new lift and was getting nowhere in situations where my driving wheel was fully extended down and the other wheel was tucked right up in my fender. dont think i have the wallet for an ARB but it doesnt look like mechanical lockers are getting a great review for DDs.

on a side note, cant wait for pics
I understand... try being a 4 banger 2wd.... haha Ill update as soon as the project is started
Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #51
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
LSDs are worth looking at. They need a little more finesse in some off-road situations but much friendlier on pavement.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #58
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
but now your switches don't all match.

Products Discussed in this Thread