Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Aftermarket Locker

Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket Locker

Hey anyone rocking any aftermarket rear lockers? I was told there are Aussie, lockrite lockers... The only thing I don't want to do is a Lincoln lock...

I just don't know exactly how to check specs or what works best, or anyone who's done this... I have an 09 acab (2nd gen) .... any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
X2. Wanna know as well.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
I am driving my spare truck and it has a locker in the rear and it is a detroit truetrac i like it a lot because it is not constantly engaged but i would never ever put a locker in a daily driver. The route i am going on the rig i am building is the ARB air locker because then you can decide when you need it and dont have to deal with it at the grocery store or around town
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
I am driving my spare truck and it has a locker in the rear and it is a detroit truetrac i like it a lot because it is not constantly engaged but i would never ever put a locker in a daily driver. The route i am going on the rig i am building is the ARB air locker because then you can decide when you need it and dont have to deal with it at the grocery store or around town
That rig with the ARB, 5 lug 2WD?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
The +05 5-lug uses the same size rear diff as the non-elocker +05 6-lug trucks. The ring and pinion ratios are different but the size of the ring gear is the same. It's commonly called the 8.4" or Tacoma/T100 differential. So the lockers that are meant for the non-elocker 6-lug trucks will fit in the 5-lug trucks. Not too many have put ARB or Richmond lockers in their 5-lugs but there might be a few. I have an Eaton clutch type LSD in mine.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
The +05 5-lug uses the same size rear diff as the non-elocker +05 6-lug trucks. The ring and pinion ratios are different but the size of the ring gear is the same. It's commonly called the 8.4" or Tacoma/T100 differential. So the lockers that are meant for the non-elocker 6-lug trucks will fit in the 5-lug trucks. Not too many have put ARB or Richmond lockers in their 5-lugs but there might be a few. I have an Eaton clutch type LSD in mine.
Do it yourself? How much? How is it lasting and do you think it was worth it? Sorry for all the question bombardments
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Well looks like I'm going to add a lockright to the back, using the ECGS locker and differential. Ill be regearing to 4.10 as well.... Pretty excited. As soon as everything is on order ill update the progress. ARB is way too much of a hassle so ill go with the easier route lol
Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
I had a shop put in the 4.56's gears and front/ rear lockers. If you buy it from East coast gear supply it is pretty straight fwd. But i just did not want to mess with crucial part of the truck. But i have done a 3rd member with a e locker. The front take alot longer, because of the CV's and how it is mounted.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
I had a shop put in the 4.56's gears and front/ rear lockers. If you buy it from East coast gear supply it is pretty straight fwd. But i just did not want to mess with crucial part of the truck. But i have done a 3rd member with a e locker. The front take alot longer, because of the CV's and how it is mounted.
This is what I'm buying and regearing to 4.10

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-128...t-1615-lr.html

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-788...undra-3rd.html

My buddy told me that an ARB install would be really tough so he said lockrite would be the way to go
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you 4wd Drive?? Because the only thing that can go in the front is the arb. But you can put any thing in the back.
No Im 2wd but I was told ARB can be put in the back... I could be wrong. But yeah it looks like lockrite will be in the back
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok yea arb can go front in back.
So how was your ARB install? Im just looking at all options at this point... The lockrite will keep my back wheels locked until I need to turn, where as the ARB will be, well you know, locked when I want it to be locked.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
The install took 3 days but that is with re gearing to front/back. As far as is using it, yea i am open/open until i flick the switch then i am fully locked.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The install took 3 days but that is with re gearing to front/back. As far as is using it, yea i am open/open until i flick the switch then i am fully locked.
Did you use a write up or just go for it? Lol