5 lug wheel well cutting/grinding

Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Kick His A$$ Seabass
TigerTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Austin
TigerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
5 lug wheel well cutting/grinding

I'm planning on putting 265/70/17s on my tacoma very soon. I have already done the black box mod. I've already got some wheels in mind with the appropriate backspacing and offset to fit. I am wondering if there is any cutting/grinding I need to do to fit these tires in?

If some guys with 32's or 33's could chime in that would be great. Thanks
Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
Check out neslerrah. He's running 33's.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
My truck is slow
alwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
alwaysat8k's Tacoma Gallery
You're going to need to gut the front wheel wells. There is a little tab that sticks out on the front bumper. You will see it once you rip out the plastic.

I am running Pro Comp Series 51, 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing (-19mm) and Falken AT's 32x11.5. I had to grind down the lower caliper bracket, which is common from what ive read. Make sure you test fit the wheels, our calipers our weird on these trucks.

With -19mm backspacing you should be able to fit 33x12.5's just fine and still clear the swaybar by an inch or so.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Kick His A$$ Seabass

Navy:
Thanks for the reply. So basically the only way to get 32's to fit in there is to grind down the caliper? Or can I get some wheels with less backspacing to prevent having to grind them down? I don't mind cutting inside the wheel well, thats not a problem. I had a chevy before this, so fitting wheels wasn't ever a problem.

Did you have to bend the pinch weld in the wheel well over with a mallet or did you just leave it?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTaco View Post
Thanks for the reply. So basically the only way to get 32's to fit in there is to grind down the caliper? Or can I get some wheels with less backspacing to prevent having to grind them down? I don't mind cutting inside the wheel well, thats not a problem. I had a chevy before this, so fitting wheels wasn't ever a problem.

Did you have to bend the pinch weld in the wheel well over with a mallet or did you just leave it?
If you buy steel wheels then more than likely you'll have to grind down the caliper bracket, not the caliper. This is regardless of what size tires you decide to run.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
My truck is slow
alwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
alwaysat8k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTaco View Post

No. When i was talking about grinding the caliper I was referring to the correct wheel, not tire. Make sure the wheel fits. Some wheels have identations on the inside that rub the lower caliper bracket. You can see where it rubbed on my wheel.

As for the grinding the lower caliper bracket so it doesnt rub, I meant this:

All im saying is, make sure the wheel fits before you buy it. Physically put it on your truck and spin it. Backspacing will not cause this, its the design of the wheel.

As for the pinch weld, I think you might be talking about where i circled yellow.. I was just indicating thats where the plastic was cut out. If you are talking about the black box mod pinch weld, you dont have to mess with that either. You shouldnt have to hit anything inside the wheel well with a mallet .

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
If you buy steel wheels then more than likely you'll have to grind down the caliper bracket, not the caliper. This is regardless of what size tires you decide to run.
^^^^
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Kick His A$$ Seabass

Navy:
Ahh, I see what you mean now. Yeah I was talking about the Black Box mod pinch weld. I've seen a few guys bend that over, but its good to know that its not needed.

Thanks for the help.