Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Has anyone here done their own regear?

Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jacob
jacobigindi's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone here done their own regear?

Just curious to see if anyone on here has done their own regear. I'm thinking of regearing soon and am considering doing it myself to save money on installation.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have done drivetrain work on a baja buggy (granted, it was a single speed gear box with a CVT, but it's still some sort of drivetrain experience). I have access to all the tools I'd need in a shop I work in and I might be helping my friend regear his S10 before my truck, so I'll have had some practice
So a few questions if you did it yourself:
1) Is it worth the trouble?
2) How long did it take?
3) Any particularly frustrating steps I should look out for?
4) How hard was it to properly shim the pinion gear?
5) If i have 36K miles on the truck, which install kit should I get, master or just pinion?
6) I'd like to get used gears to save money. Anyone recommend against this?
I might add more questions as i remember them...
Thanks
Old 05-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Max's wanna be overland build
Old 05-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
That's gold. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #4

slight change of plans. So I'm probably just get a whole new 3rd member instead, which would still be cheaper than the cost of having someone install the gears and there's less things to mess up.
one question, do i need the optional solid spacer?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobigindi View Post
one question, do i need the optional solid spacer?
Need, no. Nice-have, yes. It keeps the pinion stable as opposed to a crush sleeve that will crush over time causing the preload to loosen.

If you are ordering from ECGS, it is worth the $25.