Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

No 1.5 front lift for the 5 lugs?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

Name: John
jtye's Tacoma Gallery
No 1.5 front lift for the 5 lugs?

I've been looking in to leveling out my 5 lug which would be about a 1.5 inch lift in the front from what I've read. But am I understanding this correctly? There is no .75 front spacer available to net the 1.5 inch lift that I'm looking for? My only options is to get a 2.75 front lift and level that off with 1.5 in the rear?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of ReadyLift 1 1/4 inch front levellers for sale on ebay for $49 and free shipping.

SOLD

They give the same 1 1/4" of lift because they fit between the top of the strut and the bottom of the strut tower and so don't change the spring rate.

I took them off the front my 5 lug when I went from 245/75/16 truck tires...

...to 235/60/16 passenger car tires.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

Name: John
jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply

What is the actual width of the spacer? All i've been able to find are spacers that lift the front over 2 inches which is higher than it needs to be. LIke this one.

http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/toyota-...ent-p7630.aspx
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
These are only 1 1/4 inches thick and that's all they can lift because they're not spring spacers that compress the springs. Compare this pic...

SOLD

...with the pic of the Fat Bob's and you can see that they are are thicker.

They fit between the top of the whole strut assembly and the truck's body so the lift is only the thickness of the spacer.
The first pic of my truck is with the ReadyLifts on, and the second one is with them removed. If you look closely, you can see the slight difference. What you see is all they can lift.

SOLD
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
dustleet is on a distinguished road
Name: Sok
dustleet's Tacoma Gallery
Tooter, how was the ride quality with the add on spacer?
Vs now with the smaller tire?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustleet View Post
Tooter, how was the ride quality with the add on spacer?
The ride is exactly the same except a little higher because the front spring rate remains exactly the same.

Quote:
Vs now with the smaller tire?
There's quite a difference between light truck tires and passenger car tires. I learned something interesting when I was at the tire store. You can only put light truck tires on a 6 lug Tacoma because they exceed the load ratings of most passenger car tires. However, it's ok to put passenger car tires on a 5 lug because they operate within the lighter load limits of car tires.

I never go off road, and only ride on asphalt, so I like the smoother ride, lower rolling resistance, longer treadwear, lighter weight, and increased gas mileage of car tires.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
There's quite a difference between light truck tires and passenger car tires. I learned something interesting when I was at the tire store. You can only put light truck tires on a 6 lug Tacoma because they exceed the load ratings of most passenger car tires. However, it's ok to put passenger car tires on a 5 lug because they operate within the lighter load limits of car tires.
There's not a lot of difference in GVWR between the 5 lug vs 6 lug.
2wd 5-lug:
4600 on RC, 4700 on the X-Runner, and 4900 on the AC and DC.
2wd 6-lug:
5250 on AC, 5350 on DC
4x4:
5100 for RC, 5350 for AC, and 5450 for DC

Max is 5450 for any of them, and only 550lbs difference between the Access cab 5-lug and the 4x4 DC.
Hell... that's not much over the load rating of my motorcycle's tires.

5-Lug stock tires (215/70-15) have a load rating of 98. That's 1653lbs per tire. That's 3300 per axle.
BFG RT T/A and Bridgestone Duelers are rated 109... 2271 per tire, 4542 per axle.

There are plenty of P-rated tires of the proper size for the Prerunner/4x4 that carry the 109 load index. Scanning Tirerack, it looks like 109 is the minimum for the 245's.

Tire shop employee was feeding you a line because he didn't want to sell you the cheaper tires. These aren't 3/4 ton HD fullsize trucks.
Tundra Crewmax comes with tires rated 112... 2484 per tire, 4968 per axle.
GVWR is 7200lbs.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Tire shop employee was feeding you a line because he didn't want to sell you the cheaper tires.
I can understand why you might say that because you weren't there. I was buying their best 60,000 mile fuel efficient P235/60/R16 Yokohama YK580's. They refused to install them because they thought my Tacoma was a 6 lug. I'm running 16 inch 5 lug wheels which threw them off, as the 5 lugs run 15's stock. They would not install that 100H tire on a 6 lug Tacoma, but on a 5 lug was fine.