1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift vs Lower!

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Kyleinator, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Jun 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM
    Kyleinator

Kyleinator [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 5 Lug
    Fog lights 3.73 Third Member
    Alright well I have an access cab sr5 and I'm torn between lowering / lifting. I like the idea of a lifted truck especially since the main purpose of the truck is to haul dirt bikes. The only problem is tires, lift, re gearing rear end, adjusting the speedo and alignment is going to cost a lot! I also use this for daily driver and I fear the lift and 31" tires will just kill my MPG's. This got my looking into lowering. I've been looking at all the lowered 5 lug build threads on here (which are very detailed!) and I've fallen in love. If I were to lower it though I wouldn't want to notch the frame and I'd need a lowering setup that would still give me the stock hauling capacities (ei: I don't want the rear end sitting on the bump stops the entire time when the truck is loaded with 2 dirt bikes + gear). I've been looking at the XII Underground lowering kit which is about $1300 with sway bars and everything which has interested me. Just curious on what setups some of you lowered guys recommend especially if the truck will be loaded with 500 pounds of dirt bikes and probably another 100 in gear / gas. The XII underground kit looks good because they say the truck will have the same load capacities, but does this require a frame notch? One more thing to add is I have Xrunner 18's on my truck. I saw ryanjboutin's truck when it was lifted and lowered on the Xrunner 18's and I loved it both ways! Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance! Feel free to leave any suggestions about setups here!

TL:DR Should I lift or lower my truck? Why or why not?

2. Jun 17, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Around here, most everyone will say lift. I can appreciate both. I've been recently cruising through dropped builds too, as most of the turbo'd tacos are dropped and I've been looking specifically at those. It's ultimately your decision that you have to make, personally I think it looks kinda dumb seeing a slammed truck hauling stuff around. I don't know why, but it just doesn't seem right to me. You could do a spacer lift for very cheap (nowhere near the $1300 for the drop). I chose lift to kinda stand out, as "way back" when I did it (2011 :p) there were hardly any options for 1st gens (and still really aren't, Fabtech discontinued the spindles I have and I could never find any spacers that were specifically for the 1st gen 5 lug) plus most of the minis around where I lived were lowriders

3. Jun 17, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    5 Lug, either lower or go LT. I've seen a couple of sick LT'd 5 luggers

4. Jun 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Lifting a 5 lug is generally pointless. If you are going to lower it you can get Monroe air adjust shocks that fill up to about 100 psi and increase payload by 500 pounds (they lift the rear a bit and stiffen the rear). I had those shocks when i lowered my 5 lug, worked very well to haul the bikes. You should be able to do. 3/3 or a 2/3 drop with lo pro bump stops and the air shocks an still haul the bikes fine.

5. Jun 17, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Just pull a Ryan and lift and lower as much as you want to

6. Jun 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
  7. Jun 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    2007 tacoma

2007 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab
    16" Alloys, K&N intake, Class III Hitch, US Truck Cap Rack, Carpeted Bed Mat, WeatherTechs, SeatSaver covers, Many more in the works
    I've subbed as I'm very interested in this discussion. I'm leaning towards lift or don't mess with. Not lower. I do a lot of work with my truck which it eats up without breaking a sweat.

When I got my truck I didn't mess with it because I was going to wait for the pretty decent tires on it to need replacing which they are close to that. I wish I'd just had done everything then though and sold the tires while they had a lot of tread because I really love the acceleration and handling characteristics of my truck after driving it for a few years. Now I'm going to change them.

8. Jun 18, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    NC
    Vehicle:
    10 taco
    Def lift if hauling. I respect the lowered trucks but for bikes and gear it wouldn't look right in my opinion. Gas mileage won't really drop bad with 31s. I run 265/75r16 and still get between 21-22 in town and roughly 24-25 on the highway. I haul quite a bit and am happy with the larger tires. Also if u ever wanna camp or drive the bikes offroad ur screwed lowered.

9. Jun 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    slam dat faka

10. Jun 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    Kyleinator

Kyleinator [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 5 Lug
    Fog lights 3.73 Third Member
    I'm leaning towards the lowering. I see a lot of the lowered guys have DJM arms, is it recommended to replace the arms if you're dropping the front that low? Also I see a lot of the slammed Taco's are notched. How far can I drop the rear without needing to notch? From what I've seen lowering the back is going to be the limiting factor if you're not notching. My main concern is keeping the truck level with whatever I choose (although a little bro lean may be acceptable in a lift =P).

Products Discussed in

To Top