1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advise on larger rims + tires

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Canadian Taco 705, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Sep 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    Canadian Taco 705

Canadian Taco 705 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Windsor Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black 2.7L 2WD Debadged
    Interior: Hardwire GPS Hardwire USB x2 Extra Cig Lighter Mag Light Mod x2 Exterior: Debadged TRD hood Bull Bar Halo Headlights 6000K Lumens HID 50% Windshield Tint 5% Window Tint
    Hey so one for more chance to make sure it all fits i just order 235/70/17 those should work correct???

2. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That's about a 30" tire, so maybe.

But since you're changing rims, all bets are off because the backspacing won't be the same as the stock wheels.

3. Sep 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    2007 tacoma

2007 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab
    16" Alloys, K&N intake, Class III Hitch, US Truck Cap Rack, Carpeted Bed Mat, WeatherTechs, SeatSaver covers, Many more in the works
    There wasn't a typo. 245/75-16 is the stock tire size on the 6 lug.

This user has 30" tires with the black box mod. You can look at his pictures also. I actually recommend it because the first one I saw wasn't of his truck but of a smiling cheerleader. What were we talking about? Oh yeah.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/261873-5-lug-tire-size.html#post6437949

If you're talking about keeping the 15" stock steel wheels there's a couple of things to consider. First is I think the 15" stock steel wheels are 6.5" wide, and I've read that it's pushing it's limits to mount the 9.5" wide tire. A 245 would be even wider. It may be a moot point though since I don't see any 245/75-15 tires available on Tire Rack. The size doesn't exist readily.

Another issue is weight. The 15" stock steel rims weigh about 25 lbs. Initially you were talking about going with alloys which would probably be about 5 lbs lighter. Since I typed this I've reread your initial post and that's not the case. The stock 215/70-15 tires also only weigh 23 lbs for just 48 lbs total. A tire around the 30x9.5 size you're talking about would probably weigh about 40 lbs for 65 lbs total. You're potentially going to be adding 70 lbs of spinning weight to your drive train. More for the 17" steel wheels you had in your original post. That would be 90 lbs.

90 lbs doesn't sound like a lot until you try to get it spinning 70 mph. It would feel as though you have the bed loaded down heavy. If you're a contractor and actually have the bed loaded down, it would be worse. Then in a few months you have to have the bed loaded down and tow a trailer. You're going to be cussing.

If you're thinking about the 17" rims again, then you have a couple of options for lighter tires to keep the weight down. Hankook has a tire that only weighs 30 lbs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RH03XLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

There's also a LLR option that weighs 34 lbs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...HTSOWLXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Get the lightest 17" rims you can financially justify.

Steel is heavy. Cast aluminum is slightly more expensive but lighter. Forged aluminum is the lightest but the most expensive unless you get crazy with other metals.

Yes. Almost forgot. Rich is good with details. If the rims you choose pull the tires more into the wheel wells, 30" won't work any longer as they're closer to the wheel wells. You need to keep the same dimensions as the stock 15" steel rims or some here are fine with the tires being pushed out of the wheel wells a quarter or half inch. Consensus is it isn't that noticeable, and it's better to be safe than rub.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  4. Sep 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    I may have lost something here, but the OP started wanting more ground clearance and good tires for winter driving then insists on 17+" wheels. Are you after function or fancy? For what you say you're after; a tall tire on a 15" wheel will generally work better AND cost less than a low-pro on a 17". It'll also be more resistant to damage, ride softer, hold more air volume, probably have less rotational mass, and be less prone to de-beading and easier to re-bead when you can't get to a tire shop. There are a ton of options for 235/75-15 tires.

5. Sep 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    nobescare

nobescare Well-Known Member

Member:
    43.5448° N, 80.2482° W
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner 2WD
    she's all stock
    hey welcome to the forum. i have an 05 2wd prerunner. looking at tires this year. have a pile of points on my Cdn Tire Card so will be buying tires from them.
    using them year round so i'm looking at the General Grabber AT2 or the Goodyear Territory/Duratrac.
    let us know what you decide

6. Sep 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    Canadian Taco 705

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Windsor Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Interior: Hardwire GPS Hardwire USB x2 Extra Cig Lighter Mag Light Mod x2 Exterior: Debadged TRD hood Bull Bar Halo Headlights 6000K Lumens HID 50% Windshield Tint 5% Window Tint
    hey guys thanks so much for all of the advise. i didnt realize that changing rim and tire size would result in the same amount of free lift lol so i just changed it back down to keep my stock rims and a 235 tire. thanks again for all the help

7. Sep 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    :rolleyes:

8. Sep 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    Mr.Schertz

Mr.Schertz Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 single cab 4banger
    tint,removed badges,custom letter chop and rephrase
    Im with Rich on this one. I considered all the other suggestions,bigger tires,rims,lift kit,etc. But I did my research and I decided against it. I kept my stock rims and upgraded to the yokohama geolanders in the 235 size. Truck sits a little higher,with a nice stance. A little loss of power at speeds over 70 but I am very happy with how it rides and looks.

9. Oct 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Canadian Taco 705

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Windsor Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    finally got the tires. got a set of wrangler 235/75/15 they look amazing and actually make it look meaner

Products Discussed in

To Top