Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

HELP. random vibration while driving and under load

Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
dcrawfo1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Donny
dcrawfo1's Tacoma Gallery
HELP. random vibration while driving and under load

i have a 06 tacoma 5 lug 2.7l auto and i just installed a fat bobs leveling kit a few weeks ago and i just started getting the weird vibration while driving normal and it happens under load also. i believe its getting worse. i stopped by advance and had them hook a computer up and they said its throwing some kind of torque converter code a lot and it had some abs code in there also. any body have any idea what this could be?? i just put a new belt on yesterday and also put a new air filter in and removed the secondary coal filter. the tensioner pulley seemed to maybe have some play in it but it just seems if it was a pulley it would vibrate all the time and not just at random times. any help would be awesome! thanks.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #2

Here's a couple pics of my truck. Just because

Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have the alignment checked after the lift? Any other changes done at the same time? The torque converter could be causing it as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Is it mainly from a complete stop?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
Did you have the alignment checked after the lift? Any other changes done at the same time? The torque converter could be causing it as well.
i had the truck realigned after the lift
Old 09-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
Is it mainly from a complete stop?
no, the truck will be driving normal then just happen outta the blue on the interstate or driving down the road. i notice it does it more tho when the truck drags on a incline, when driving normal or accelerating
Old 09-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
josh843 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
josh843's Tacoma Gallery
check uv joints, sounds like drivetrain issue maybe
Old 09-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrawfo1 View Post
no, the truck will be driving normal then just happen outta the blue on the interstate or driving down the road. i notice it does it more tho when the truck drags on a incline, when driving normal or accelerating
Check your u-joints look for leaking grease or any play at all. It could also be that when you installed the lift it threw the pinion angle off so you may have to shim the rear end. Do a little research on what I told you and you should be able to handle fixing it your self and not paying an arm and a leg
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Check your u-joints look for leaking grease or any play at all. It could also be that when you installed the lift it threw the pinion angle off so you may have to shim the rear end. Do a little research on what I told you and you should be able to handle fixing it your self and not paying an arm and a leg
well i didnt lift the rear. i only installed the spacers on the front.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Dezert Toy Fabrication

ohh lol

You should still check your U-joints and get it re-alined
Old 09-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
I missed the ABS code along with the torque converter code, my guess would be a wacky speed sensor and it may be altering the shifting or converter clutch actuation and quite possibly causing the vibration. If it is then it could lead to transmission gear damage among other things so I'd get it figured out ASAP.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh843 View Post
check uv joints
What he said. I had to replace mine @ 89,000 miles and I don't have a lift.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
tacoman2.7 is on a distinguished road
Name: papakracker
tacoman2.7's Tacoma Gallery
I am dealing with a similar if not the same problem. I get a shudder at shift into upper gear and converter lockup at low speed. A fluid flush and filter really made a difference. My awesome truck has 130m mi. Mymech says save for a torque conv replacement job.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
Pushin' Thru Another Day
MikeTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
MikeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ohh lol

You should still check your U-joints and get it re-alined

^^^^^
What he said, I had the same vibration symptoms you're describing. I replaced both u joints...problem solved. Make sure to buy Moog U Joints. They are tough and also service via grease gun.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
tacoman2.7 is on a distinguished road
Name: papakracker
tacoman2.7's Tacoma Gallery
My shudder reared its ugly head again after 3days of trans filter & flush. My mech friend asked if I used Toyota fluid ? As far as I know... Yes . I brought T IV and the filter to the shop (5). They charged for three more to complete the job. My shudder was getting worse. My parts man suggested a friction modifier called Dr Tranny. BANG! I no longer have a torque converter shudder. Maybe bang was the wrong word to describe trans fixes. This product is awesome for my particular problem. It is made by a co. called lubegard. Upon squirting this 2 oz. tube of red goo down my dipstick tube. My symptoms instantly minimized . full satisfaction after three or four days. I drive 200 mi per day. I have over 10,000 worry free miles. No worries about my awesome little truck anyway. Dr. Tranny as described in a recent review truly is " The product transmission shops don't want you to know about". It's only 10.00 give or take. I had forgotten about the problem until I received the TW e mail. Good luck