1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bush wackers on 5 lug

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by jamesrenoallen, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Dec 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    jamesrenoallen

jamesrenoallen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB MGM
    I have a 2 wheel drive reg cab 5 lug and I hate that it has no fender flares. Has anyone installed bushwackers on their 5 lug?

2. Dec 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I personally wouldn't since it would look ugly. Why not just buy some OEM ones from Toyota and install them on your truck?

3. Dec 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    IMHO, even the OEM Prerunner flares look like shit.
    There's a 5-lug doing work near the airport that I see on the freeway every now and then and it really looks bad.
    Maybe if he had some decent wheels and rubber to fill it out.
    I know Phil Dammit hates the X-Runner body parts and pulled it off when he used the 4x4 flares, but not with stock rubber.

4. Dec 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    jamesrenoallen

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB MGM
    I also wondering about Nerf tube steps for my reg cab anyone tried that yet?

5. Dec 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    On a 5-lug?

Curious why you have "Prerunner" in your truck description.
    The Prerunner is a 6-lug 2wd that shares its suspension with the 4wd.

6. Dec 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM
    jamesrenoallen

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB MGM
    Its just a base model and its to plain so I'm gonna make it look like a prerunner. I'm planning on blacking out all the chrome, lifting it 3 or even 6 inches, adding matching black bull bar and Nerf steps, and putting on bushwackers. I didn't mean to offend anyone who has a true prerunner I just want my truck to look the way I feel it should

7. Dec 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM
    jamesrenoallen

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB MGM
    I already have a tool box in the back and 15 inch wheels with 31x10.5s on them and I like the way its looking so far but I have always liked the look bushwackers and Nerf bars on a lifted pickup

8. Dec 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Nobody is going to be offended, it's just a matter of people offering you help, and other people scanning your threads looking for parts recommendations and not realizing you have a 5-lug. It would suck for someone to recommend that you buy "XYZ" and after spending $500, finding out that it won't work on the 5-lug and you have a 20% restocking fee :(.
    Yes, you posted in the correct 5-lug forum, but a lot of people (myself included) scan the forum by "new posts" so we don't always see where the message was posted. It's all good though.

The 5-lug and Prerunner/4x4 are very different trucks and virtually none of the suspension parts are interchangeable. Different brakes, springs, shocks, control arms, etc....
    One of the few interchangeable items is the rear leaf springs... but 5 lug owners buy Prerunner/4x4 leafs to LOWER their trucks! Since the Prerunner/4x4 is spring-over-axle, the leaf has less arch, so they will lower the 5-lug by a little over an inch.

The above-mentioned spring configuration is the fly in the ointment for the 5-lug, and you will find that lift options are few and far between.
    You can't even get a 6" lift without going to a full long-travel suspension, and even a basic lift is not cheap.

One of the few good lifts available for the 5-lug is the Fat Bob's kit. Here's a thread of another member installing his and you can see the difference in the truck's appearance:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/298420-5-lug-fat-bobs-lift-install.html

Good luck! A 5 lug with a lift and a bump in tire size looks really nice, but do keep in mind that if you go to anything taller than a 235/70-15, you are going to hate your truck unless you have the rear end regeared. The little 2.7 just doesn't have the power to spin the larger tires without a gearing change.
    I've been there and done that, bumping the tires on my '94 5-lug to 31's... truck became a real dog.

9. Dec 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    Fordless

Fordless Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC SR5+
    And as soon as you change the rear end gears, your gas mileage is going in the toilet. That may not be what you're looking for, but it was the very reason I bought a 5lug and not a prerunner.

10. Dec 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The larger tires are going to kill mileage whether he regears or not.
    Regearing will help bring some of the mileage back for lower speed driving around town, but it's going to hurt on the highway.

11. Dec 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM
    TacomaWill

TacomaWill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad 4x4 SR5 Tacoma
    Fox 2.0 Coilover's, Light Racing UCA's, Icon VS 2.0 rear shocks, Body Armor front bumper, SB XRC10 Winch w/ Dominion Offroad Technora Synthetic Rope, JDM Cyrstal Black Headlights, 6000k HID's, Four Pro Comp Lights, TRD Sport Hood, Flowmaster 40, 5% tint on rear, 15% on front, +++++ more

So this indirectly means that I could take a leaf pack off of a 5 lugger and put it on my truck to gain an inch of rear lift? Sounds like a good way to avoid blocks for someone wanting only an inch of lift

12. Dec 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    In theory, yes, but you'd end up with a weaker pack than you have now.

While the rated load carrying capacity of the 5-lug is the same as the Prerunner, the ride is a LOT softer.
    5-lug pack with a helper might get the job done., but you're really better off with a new pack.

13. Dec 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    TacomaWill

TacomaWill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad 4x4 SR5 Tacoma
    Fox 2.0 Coilover's, Light Racing UCA's, Icon VS 2.0 rear shocks, Body Armor front bumper, SB XRC10 Winch w/ Dominion Offroad Technora Synthetic Rope, JDM Cyrstal Black Headlights, 6000k HID's, Four Pro Comp Lights, TRD Sport Hood, Flowmaster 40, 5% tint on rear, 15% on front, +++++ more

Yeah, seems logical. Ive got a pair of ironman leaf packs on the way to me in the mail actually. Should be here Tuesday.

14. Jan 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    disc0monkey

disc0monkey All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!

Member:
    Just buy my truck ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top