Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

My 5 Lug

Old 02-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Half Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant future
Coast Guard:
Half Caf's Tacoma Gallery
My 5 Lug

Hello All, I wanted to make a thread to track some of my truck's build progress. I'm far from rich, so the mods will come as funds allow -but in the meantime I will try to keep it fresh with some cool photos.

Here is the truck currently:

Current mods:
Fat Bob's 2.75 lift
Colormatched Satoshi
Black boxes removed
Ground caliper brackets for aftermarket rims
MT 15x8s and 31x10.5 tires
Radiator blackout

And Here is a pic of the day I got her:

And a little background...

The good:
-I found the truck was actually a 2009 (not a 2008 like advertised)
-It only has 44,000 miles
-I only paid $6,000 for it

The bad:
-The previous owner said it rolled down a hill and hit a tree
-needs new bumper, tail-light, and tailgate
-shows some cosmetic signs of wear

And here's one of my first trips out exploring in the new truck

Old 02-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Winker's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
jamesrenoallen is on a distinguished road

Name: James
jamesrenoallen's Tacoma Gallery
that was a great deal dude your lucky. If you can deal with the dent in the tailgate, the bumper and tail-light shouldn't be to spendy to replace/ fix
Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

and your truck looks just like my btw. I did the BHLM and it looks awesome and it only cost me $6 in spray paint, i also painted the toyota emblem on the grill the same color. I chose a dark charcoal gray color that is really close to the grill surround color
Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Half Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant future
Coast Guard:
Reno, the BHLM is on my list of eventual mods. However, I wanted to wait until I did a little color matching on the front end so things wouldn't be too dark.
Speaking of color matching... I decided to go ahead and start working on a satoshi as my first mod for the truck
I've worked with plastics before so I had a bit of an idea what I was getting into, but it has still been a lot more work than I was expecting. I'll let the pictures do the talking:

The grille is off

Guts removed

Inserts glued in

Puttied and prepped

Primed

After 5 coats of red and 3 clear, the red was all done

The color looks good, but the clear needs some love before it will really blend in

And here's the truck as it sits (complete with ogling coworkers)

I still need to paint the inner lip satin, but I am waiting for the correct mesh to come in (they sent me the wrong cut)

Anyway, this concludes update 1 of 3 -stay tuned!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
Pushin' Thru Another Day
MikeTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
MikeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great I'm still debating on the BHLM my 5 lug RC is white all colormatched front and rear
Old 06-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #7

awesome man I was thinking about a Satoshi but I'm not sure if I will like it that much I'm gonna wait till you get yours done to see how it looks
Old 06-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTaco View Post
Looks great I'm still debating on the BHLM my 5 lug RC is white all colormatched front and rear
I think it would look good with the color match! How did you paint the front bumper? I would like to do mine but the fact that its plexible plastic is a bit concerning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrenoallen View Post
awesome man I was thinking about a Satoshi but I'm not sure if I will like it that much I'm gonna wait till you get yours done to see how it looks
Well after I'm done it should give you a pretty good idea. Especially if I get the bhlm done any time soon
Old 06-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Pushin' Thru Another Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Caf View Post
I think it would look good with the color match! How did you paint the front bumper? I would like to do mine but the fact that its plexible plastic is a bit concerning.

Well after I'm done it should give you a pretty good idea. Especially if I get the bhlm done any time soon
I had a friend paint the whole truck at his body shop. Our trucks as you know dont come really bright so i made sure i had extra coats of clear put on.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Coast Guard:
Sounds like a good friend to have! If I ever do mine, it will probably be an impulse decision involving rattle cans.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
Man great buy. And don't worry about the tailgate. Mines been bent for years and it just adds character[emoji106]
Old 06-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
Coast Guard:
Okay, so a couple more updates...
First, the truck has been a moving machine lately. My fiancé currently lives in Chicago and I also just got a new place, so I've been hauling a lot of loads in the truck.

The truck has been performing like a champ -even with a full bed of stuff on a 13 hour drive. I haven't been able to work on much else with all the moving, but that still hasn't stopped me from buying a few things in the meantime

When I went out to Chicago, I had actually been planning on installing this guy but my buddy had to cancel on me because he couldn't get off work

So the fat bobs lift will have to wait for another day... So, since I had a whole day with nothing to do, I decided to work on the mrs' new matrix. I tore the dash all apart in her work parking lot and installed a Bluetooth system while I waited for her to get off. Believe it or not, this picture is only from when I was about halfway through.

Anyway, here are the truck and the 'trix together. Now we have 2 vehicles for me to tinker with instead of just one Maybe someday I'll post a picture of the bike as well.

New parts will be coming soon!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
Pushin' Thru Another Day

Quote:
Okay, so a couple more updates...
First, the truck has been a moving machine lately. My fiancé currently lives in Chicago and I also just got a new place, so I've been hauling a lot of loads in the truck.

The truck has been performing like a champ -even with a full bed of stuff on a 13 hour drive. I haven't been able to work on much else with all the moving, but that still hasn't stopped me from buying a few things in the meantime

When I went out to Chicago, I had actually been planning on installing this guy but my buddy had to cancel on me because he couldn't get off work

So the fat bobs lift will have to wait for another day... So, since I had a whole day with nothing to do, I decided to work on the mrs' new matrix. I tore the dash all apart in her work parking lot and installed a Bluetooth system while I waited for her to get off. Believe it or not, this picture is only from when I was about halfway through.

Anyway, here are the truck and the 'trix together. Now we have 2 vehicles for me to tinker with instead of just one Maybe someday I'll post a picture of the bike as well.

New parts will be coming soon!

Nice looking pair of 'Yotas you got there Half Caf!!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTaco View Post
Nice looking pair of 'Yotas you got there Half Caf!!
Thanks! We've only had the matrix for about a month now, but we like it a lot. Definitely more suitable for road trips and such.

In other news, the parts have been rolling in this week. I've gotten a new horn, new shocks, the mesh for my grille and a couple other things that should get here tomorrow as well... As much fun as it is to buy things for the truck it's about time I take a break and get down to work! More pics to come, but I'll leave this one here as a teaser.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Pushin' Thru Another Day

Check out what I did today...

BHLM and ventshades
Old 06-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #16
Coast Guard:
Nice, looks great!
What kind of tint are you running?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #17
Pushin' Thru Another Day

Quote:
Nice, looks great!

What kind of tint are you running?

20% on the side windows
5% (limo) on the rear
Old 07-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #18
Coast Guard:
As usual, I've done more work than updates, so here we go...
After seeing my ugly radiator and everything behind my grille for a couple weeks, I decided that I would still see it after my satoshi was done, too and something must be done.
So something was! I prepped it for paint and my truck looked like it was at the dentist, waiting to get a root canal.

After spraying some flat black.

Removed the nonsense

And done, looking much better!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #19
Coast Guard:
After spray painting the background black, I got to work on finishing my satoshi.
First, got the mesh cut to size and mocked it up.

Then primed and painted the mesh and put the top coat on the lip of the grille.

Got it all buttoned up and here she is!

Oh and one more thing, last weekend I was able to score a great deal on some tires!

They are 31's which is slightly larger than I actually wanted (to avoid regearing, speedo difference, and gas mileage) but the deal was too good to pass up. Here is a shot of them in front of the stock wheel.

Now I just need to get some rims in and set a day aside where I can install my lift and the truck will be looking 100x better!
Updates will be coming, but first I'll be getting married and going on a honeymoon
Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #20
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
congrats on the marriage bud