Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

JTYE's 5lug build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

Name: John
jtye's Tacoma Gallery
JTYE's 5lug build

Came from a 93 Ranger that completely fell apart on me, got my Tacoma with about 25,000 miles on it. Other 5 lug build threads were super helpful for me, figured I'd start one of my own.

Current:

Day 1 (ish) - 235x75 on stock steel

Went nuts with plastidip

Xtang

Installed OEM style fog lights with OEM style switch

Fat Bobs lift:

Finally got a set of Cragars that actually fit

Cut up the Grill

Finally got it to fit and buttoned her back up

31's

Immediate To-Do List:
BHLM

Longer term:
Color matched front bumper cover
4.10 gears DONE
Locker?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
gitsum will become famous soon enough
Name: Gitsum
gitsum's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin good
Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

jtye's Tacoma Gallery
thanks man
Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
jamesrenoallen is on a distinguished road

Name: James
jamesrenoallen's Tacoma Gallery
BHLM is cake dude you can do it in a night and put them back on in the morning and they will look awesome. And its super easy to do, if you have black spray paint you can do it toningt.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

here you go i took a picture of mine

Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
Jlopez5828 is on a distinguished road

Name: Junior
Jlopez5828's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. I wanted to do something like that on my first tacoma but I sold it but good times with it
Old 02-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #7

jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrenoallen View Post
BHLM is cake dude you can do it in a night and put them back on in the morning and they will look awesome. And its super easy to do, if you have black spray paint you can do it toningt.

Yeah I guess I'm just over thinking it. Something about sticking it in the oven, hahaha.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtye View Post
Yeah I guess I'm just over thinking it. Something about sticking it in the oven, hahaha.
I was a bit apprehensive at first as well but I its not hot enough to melt anything or warp the plastic at all. There will be a hot plastic smell but it doesn't stink that bad lol. So turn on the oven till it preheats to about 300 degrees then turn oven off and put a light in for 5-10 mins. Any less and it will take too much force to pull apart. Take the chrome piece out and scuff it up a bit then paint it. Wait for the paint to dry over night and put it all back together. There are a few threads on here that are more detailed but that's pretty much it
Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
Half Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant future
Coast Guard:
Half Caf's Tacoma Gallery
I like what you've done! Are those 30x9.5's you're running on the Cragars?
Ideally that would be my next/first real upgrade, but tires will definitely set you back some $$...

I also noticed you have a color-matched grille now. Did you paint it yourself? Also, any complaints with the Fat Bob's?
Sorry for all the questions, but I just couldn't help myself

As for the lsd, it is nice. If you're like me a locker may be overboard, but it sure is nice to have something other than open diffs! Is there a way to retrofit the 2009+ electronic lsd?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #10

jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Caf View Post
I like what you've done! Are those 30x9.5's you're running on the Cragars?
Ideally that would be my next/first real upgrade, but tires will definitely set you back some $$...
These are just 235/75 right now. I've actually got a set of used general grabbers (31's) lined up/

Quote:
I also noticed you have a color-matched grille now. Did you paint it yourself? Also, any complaints with the Fat Bob's?
Sorry for all the questions, but I just couldn't help myself
The grill is actually just plastidip, color is pretty close. I want to get a color matched front bumper cover, the factory greyish color might look cool with it, so i'm gonna hold off painting it until i can see that together. No complaints with the FatBob's, no dramatic change with the ride quality, love sitting up a few inches. It's awesome that it comes with the longer shock too vs the readylift.

Quote:
As for the lsd, it is nice. If you're like me a locker may be overboard, but it sure is nice to have something other than open diffs! Is there a way to retrofit the 2009+ electronic lsd?
I'm pretty sure we can just get the entire 3rd member off a 2nd gen pre-runner or 2.7L 4x4 and bolt it straight in...not positive though. What kind of LSD do you have? Not ruling out the locker, but yeah, probably a bit overboard for me.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
ojose is on a distinguished road

Name: Jose
ojose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Came from a 93 Ranger that completely fell apart on me, got my Tacoma with about 25,000 miles on it. Other 5 lug build threads were super helpful for me, figured I'd start one of my own.

Fat Bobs lift:
How is it going with the lift?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. Always nice to see another 5 lugger on the forum!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
just grabbin gears
scrappletaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 779th Med Group
Name: Josh
scrappletaco's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I didn't like the lsd with traction control in my 5 lug I used to have. Without traction control it would probably be ok.

I know when I get the money I will have a locker atleast in the rear of mine
Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #14

jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojose View Post
How is it going with the lift?
Goin good man. How do you like yours?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #15

jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappletaco View Post
Personally I didn't like the lsd with traction control in my 5 lug I used to have. Without traction control it would probably be ok.

I know when I get the money I will have a locker atleast in the rear of mine
Oh really? Why not? My thinking was that i probably dont need a locker, not really getting myself into situations where i'd get stuck, just want a better solution for snow and the occasional off-road situation. What was your problem with the LSD?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #16

jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Rogers View Post
Looks good. Always nice to see another 5 lugger on the forum!
Thanks man!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #17
Half Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant future
Coast Guard:
Half Caf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm pretty sure we can just get the entire 3rd member off a 2nd gen pre-runner or 2.7L 4x4 and bolt it straight in...not positive though. What kind of LSD do you have? Not ruling out the locker, but yeah, probably a bit overboard for me.
Beginning in 2009, Toyota equipped the 5 lugs with an electronic limited slip system. Rather than using a clutch-type mechanical lsd, the system works by applying the brakes to the wheel with the least traction which shifts the power over to the other wheel. Granted, I'm new to all this, but that is my best understanding of how it works..
Someone mentioned not liking the traction control. There are actually 3 modes you can select: traction control, lsd, and then turning everything off which just leaves you with the open diffs.

Quote:
These are just 235/75 right now. I've actually got a set of used general grabbers (31's) lined up.
I'm actually not too far way away and make the occasional trip down to Woodbridge. I'd be interested in those 235's if they're getting replaced
Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #18

jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm actually not too far way away and make the occasional trip down to Woodbridge. I'd be interested in those 235's if they're getting replaced
Totally man. Send me a PM. They're Goodyear Wranglers, literally only have about 6,000 miles on them. Haven't even gotten offroad with them.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #19
ojose is on a distinguished road

Name: Jose
ojose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Goin good man. How do you like yours?
Well, mine's awesome, although I have to fix the squeaking noise in the leaf pack, it's driving me nuts, but I really don't have much time to do it. Hopefully next week I'll get it done.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #20
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
The Cragars, they are 15x7 or 15x8? I know theyre zero offset and 4''backspace. I found some El-Cheapo steelies on Summit and probably gonna pull the trigger on em.

Truck looks good man. I like the way our trucks sit with the FB lift.

Edit: disregard I just saw the 15x7 in your icon.

Products Discussed in this Thread