Notices

Air conditioning

Old 06-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
netsomnia is on a distinguished road

netsomnia's Tacoma Gallery
Air conditioning

How do I add air conditioning?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
Roll down the window.

An air conditioning system needs a compressor, evaporator, condenser, filter/dryer and hoses to connect all the items together.

If you were to spend some time researching everything you could do it yourself. You would need around $600 in tools to do the job.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
RustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RustyBucket's Tacoma Gallery
Also, unless you spend an arm and a leg on new components, you'd be looking at used parts. And, given the quality of the components used in the OEM system, it's questionable how much life is left in the system.

The compressors in these trucks are made by Delphi, a major supplier to GM and they barely last longer than the warranty.

*EDIT*
I see you have a 1st gen: you're in luck, they still used Denso compressors. Toyota cheaped out on the 2005+ 2nd gen.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
Also, unless you spend an arm and a leg on new components, you'd be looking at used parts. And, given the quality of the components used in the OEM system, it's questionable how much life is left in the system.

The compressors in these trucks are made by Delphi, a major supplier to GM and they barely last longer than the warranty.
Never heard of this before. Now I know why my A/C works so well. My 1991 Toyota PU's A/C was horrible, took forever to cool the tiny cab. You should not make such blanket statements without providing evidence. If yours failed, I am sorry.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
netsomnia is on a distinguished road

netsomnia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post

*EDIT*
I see you have a 1st gen: you're in luck, they still used Denso compressors. Toyota cheaped out on the 2005+ 2nd gen.
Thank you for clarifying. The cab is so small and I only drove 100 miles round trip for work all Summer. The blower on full blast worked just fine for my commute but in 100 degree weather the stoplights seemed a little longer than usual. :-) I decided to do exhaust and engine tuning first - tires and maybe bigger wheels next. Forgoing cold air altogether.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #6
RustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustyBucket is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RustyBucket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
Never heard of this before. Now I know why my A/C works so well. My 1991 Toyota PU's A/C was horrible, took forever to cool the tiny cab. You should not make such blanket statements without providing evidence. If yours failed, I am sorry.
You have a good point on making such a statement without evidence to back it up.
My statement is based upon my own research: When the air conditioing failed on me, I did research to find out where I could obtain replacement parts. This research led me to find numerous threads on several forums where other Tacoma owners had their air conditioning compressors fail in a similar manner, many of them with low mileage yet outside warranty.

The issue is that there is a part of the clutch pulley that consists of concentric metal and rubber rings. the rubber layer is between the two metal layers and the rubber eventually loses bond with the metal. the rotational force causes the outer layer to disintegrate, thus causing the air conditioning to fail with a howling or wining sound.

My final annoyance with this situation is that, while it is just the clutch pulley that failed, you cannot easily find the clutch pulley for sale separate from the compressor. The few retailers that do sell it (online dealerships), have the list price for the clutch pulley as higher than the list price for the compressor complete with clutch pulley.