Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Help with my 5 Lug

Old 06-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
RwHu is on a distinguished road

Name: Ross
RwHu's Tacoma Gallery
Help with my 5 Lug

Hey everyone, I need a little help with what to do to my Tacoma.

I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5, and of course 5 lug.

So far I've bought the ReadyLift for the 5 lug Tacoma's and it says it supports up to a 31 inch tire.

One of my friends no longer needed his set of tires so it was given to me in hopes I could use them. Dick Cepek LT285/75/16. If Im not mistaken this is a 32.8 inch tire, so basically a 33. According to the lift, this tire will not fit.

Is there any way to use this tire and make it still look good? I havent bought any rims yet for it due to being worried.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Ross,
Welcome to TW.
Sorry, I don't know anything about lifts, but I do know that putting really large wheels on your 5 lug is going to raise the gearing enough kill the power of your 2.7. Mine came with 245/75 tires on 16 inch steel Tundra wheels, and it was so sluggish and slow. It took excessive clutch slipping to get it moving, it bucked going up steep hills, and I could drive it on the freeway in third gear. When I put tires and rims (235/60/16) to match the stock wheel diameter (215/70/15) it came back to life again.

Greg
Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #3

RwHu's Tacoma Gallery
I was kinda worried about the big tires i currently own. Possibly a 265/75/16 or so with the lift would work better you think? Trying to make my new truck look nice with some wheels and tires haha
Old 06-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #4

RwHu's Tacoma Gallery
I know its a bit dark but this is my truck right now. Nothing done to it yet, just looking for options!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with my 5 Lug-facebook-20140625-112830.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
GreaseMonkeyNerd is on a distinguished road
Name: Danny
GreaseMonkeyNerd's Tacoma Gallery
i think the most you should run would be 265/70/16 that what steven (Stupid Hurts) use to run on his tacoma access cab when he had a 3" life look at his build thread !
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Hi Ross,
Welcome to TW.
Sorry, I don't know anything about lifts, but I do know that putting really large wheels on your 5 lug is going to raise the gearing enough kill the power of your 2.7. Mine came with 245/75 tires on 16 inch steel Tundra wheels, and it was so sluggish and slow. It took excessive clutch slipping to get it moving, it bucked going up steep hills, and I could drive it on the freeway in third gear. When I put tires and rims (235/60/16) to match the stock wheel diameter (215/70/15) it came back to life again.
Greg
Wheel size won't change anything. It's the width, weight and OD of the tire that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RwHu View Post
I know its a bit dark but this is my truck right now. Nothing done to it yet, just looking for options!
Nice looking truck OP.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #7

RwHu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Nice looking truck OP.
Thanks, was just looking for some ideas on what to do wheel wise and whatnot. Appreciate everyones input, still looking at tires.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
did you ever figure out what you got in mind for your truck? I'm slowly building my truck!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #9

RwHu's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna get some 30 or 31 inch tires with a good looking set of rims and go from there.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
nice! i'm waiting on the f5 rim to get release before i do any more mods to my truck
Old 06-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #11

RwHu's Tacoma Gallery
Without a lift on, could I fit 31/10.50-R15 tires?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
235 75 r15 for no mods
30X9.5 r 15 and you have to do the black box mod
anything bigger and you need to get a lift and larger and/or wider wheels

saw this on this thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-l...ock-5-lug.html
Old 07-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #13

RwHu's Tacoma Gallery
Finally finalized what is going on the truck. 16 inch beadlocks on 31 inch Adventuro MT tires. Now just gotta get someone to put the ReadyLift on so I can get those bad boys on my truck. Will post pics once its all done.

Thanks for the help everyone, any other cool mods around I would appreciate to know about haha.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #14
Nice! I'm waiting on a set of scs f5 rim to be release before i do my lift Will be waiting for the picture of it since your done
Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #15

RwHu's Tacoma Gallery
It will probably be a week or so, the person who I want to do my lift is a little busy until then. No worries though, just ready to have the truck lifted and looking better!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #16
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
Op u can go 265/75r16 if u remove the black box and install the readylift. Annnnnddd u can find this tire size p rated to save weight in at tire. No rubbing whatsoever. I ran that size with a 4.5 bs wheel with no issues. It will feel a little sluggish but let's face it my 2010 wasn't fast to start with. It will make the truck look a lot better.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
Bails is on a distinguished road
Bails's Tacoma Gallery
speedo

with the larger tires how are you getting around the speedo issues? Any idea as to the cost to have it recalibrated?

QUOTE=Skinny Rogers;8924446]Op u can go 265/75r16 if u remove the black box and install the readylift. Annnnnddd u can find this tire size p rated to save weight in at tire. No rubbing whatsoever. I ran that size with a 4.5 bs wheel with no issues. It will feel a little sluggish but let's face it my 2010 wasn't fast to start with. It will make the truck look a lot better.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #18

RwHu's Tacoma Gallery
Okay so its going down sometime this week or early next week, going to end up putting the lift on with new tires and rims!

31x10.50x15 Geotrac A/T Tires with American Eagle Alcoa Wheels.

I did have a question though, about the black boxes on Tacomas. I drive a 2012 5 Lug Access Cab, does my truck have those black boxes and if so how exactly do I remove them to be sure my tires don't rub?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #19
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
with the larger tires how are you getting around the speedo issues? Any idea as to the cost to have it recalibrated?

QUOTE=Skinny Rogers;8924446]Op u can go 265/75r16 if u remove the black box and install the readylift. Annnnnddd u can find this tire size p rated to save weight in at tire. No rubbing whatsoever. I ran that size with a 4.5 bs wheel with no issues. It will feel a little sluggish but let's face it my 2010 wasn't fast to start with. It will make the truck look a lot better.
[/QUOTE]

I believe it's a couple hundred dollars or something to recalibrate. I use gps for speed.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RwHu View Post
Okay so its going down sometime this week or early next week, going to end up putting the lift on with new tires and rims!

31x10.50x15 Geotrac A/T Tires with American Eagle Alcoa Wheels.

I did have a question though, about the black boxes on Tacomas. I drive a 2012 5 Lug Access Cab, does my truck have those black boxes and if so how exactly do I remove them to be sure my tires don't rub?

Yes ur truck has them. They r where ur front mud flaps would b. there r write ups on here how to remove. It's a very easy mod.