1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma 2.7/automatic 2wd 5Lug

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Manderthal, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Sep 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM
    Manderthal

Manderthal [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manderthal
    RI USA
    I'm thinking of getting a new or lightly used Tacoma in the 4 cylinder, automatic, rear wheel drive, access cab flavor.
    I'm looking at this configuration because I want a vehicle that's decent on gas for commuting to work >20 miles (city) and for highway driving to my son's college 130 miles away and I just want a basic pickup truck, cheap instead of a fancy $$$ V6/V8 luxo truck.

I currently drive a 2006 Nissan Xterra 4x4 that gets approx. 15-16 mpg city / 18 mpg highway on summer gas. Noticably worse in winter.
    The Xterra has a 4.0 V6 265hp and is pretty terrific all around. Lots of power, stable, peppy - pretty good actually except it's expensive to run and I don't need a SUV as much any more as I do a small pickup (We also have an old Ford Ranger in the family that I find myself borrowing more and more).

So my question is to those who have 4 cylinder 2wd Tacomas:
    How are they for daily use?
    How does it do on the highway?
    Will 250+ miles in the little beater cause me to hate myself and regret not getting a bigger truck? Remember the whole objective is to save $$$ on fuel because I'm pretty near tired of going to the gas station with the Xterra but lets face it the truck has to be modern highway capable without straining.
    Also I'm looking at auto transmissions only so the wife can drive it if she needs to and I sometimes have troubles with my back and legs.
    Access cab for the longer wheelbase and space for the dog.

Thanks for your feedback.

2. Sep 15, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    Bob57

Bob57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spencer Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 base
    First of all welcome !
    If your all about MPG the Tacoma does pretty good I'm getting around 30 highway but I do have the standard cab 5 lug auto.
    You should test drive one to see for yourself because you'll get different opinions from different people. My Tacoma is my only vehicle, well except for my bike. Good luck with your choice,,,

3. Sep 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    bigbunk62

bigbunk62 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SR5 4 cyl Auto 2WD
    Rugged Cover tonneau
    Definitely test drive it, both town and highway. I got a 2012 Access cab SR5, 4 cyl, AT, 2WD in July, and I'm averaging 26.5 mpg overall. I drive between 65-70 highway, and it has enough power for me. Easily get 475 miles per fill up, best so far was 509 miles, but I still had 2 gallons left in the tank

Replaced a 2001 Altima with it, getting 3-4 mpg better than the car and being able to haul stuff is nice. It's my commuting car, great for daily use. The jump seats in back are usable in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend past 1-2 hour drives for adults back there.

4. Sep 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6
    I just traded in my 2013 Taco, I4 dcsb with 7300 miles on it for only one reason - not enough power. It did well in the city and I only drive 6 miles to work but if you need that extra push getting on Interstates and manuvering through traffic, I4 can't handle it

5. Sep 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM
    Manderthal

Manderthal [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manderthal
    RI USA
    Thanks for the welcome and advice to test drive. I really do need to do that.
    Although I typically cruise around 75 on the highway obviously it needs to do more than that occasionally without too much strain. I understand it seems strange to be talking about top speed in a small truck but of course power helps make any vehicle livable.
    The Ford Ranger I'd mentioned earlier is my son's, a well maintained low mileage but not perfect '97. It's got the 3.0 V6 with ~150hp. Roughly the same size and hp as the Tacoma but it isn't great on the highway. Maybe due to its age of the fact that it's mostly only been used around town or maybe a combination.
    That's why I made a point of of explaining the future Tacoma's intended use. Since the Tacoma and Ranger are of similar size and power I was hoping for reassurance that the Tacoma is an effective highway cruiser.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  6. Sep 18, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    SQU1D

SQU1D Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7 Liter
    I don't know how ya'lls driving styles are or what octane gas you're putting in your trucks but I average 20 mpg in my 4cyl RC 5-lug.......

I don't drive like grandpa but I certainly don't have a lead foot either.

Id say the 2wd 2.7l auto is perfect for a daily commuter. It does fine on the highway and gas mileage is fair. Maintenance is easy on it and it has enough bed space and oomph to get random weekend tasks done.

7. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM
    Staples

Staples Member

Member:
    On my 08 4Cyl Auto Access Cab I'm averaging about 22mpg, with a mix of city and highway.

8. Sep 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    G17GUY

G17GUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Modesto Ca
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    spining hub caps chrome stick-on trim new car smell air freshiner stering wheel suicide knob nut sack on hitch back window curtain
    The 4 cyl has plenty of power. You are not going to win all those (hurry up and wait) races to the next stop light in it, but it goes just fine.

9. Sep 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    81SHOVELHEAD

81SHOVELHEAD Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Galveston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 access cab 1-4
    I commute 30 miles each way back & forth to work .
    My 2014 extended cab 4x2 i4 averages 26.6 MPG (Hand calculated) .
    It has plenty of power to enter hwy ramps without getting run over.
    Once on hwy I set cruise to 65 mph & go.
    Great riding truck & economical to run .
    It is bone stock & I intend to keep it this way .
    If I want power & just jump in the 2012 5.7 HEMI RAM 4X4.

10. Sep 22, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    Fordless

Fordless Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC SR5+
    I have the truck you are possibly interested in buying. I average about 22-23 mpg during a 25 miles daily commute and errands. I drive it pretty hard and run the A/C a lot. I have gotten as high as 24.9 on a highway trip. They're not a King Ranch, but an SR5 (which has adjustable Lumbar support) would probably be about on par with your Xterra as far as comfort. I also suspect a 5 lug will ride better than you're used to. All in all I'm happy with my little truck. It has done exactly what I have asked it to do with no complaints and all the while getting decent gas mileage.

11. Sep 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I'd recommend the stick if you want the best mpg.

12. Sep 22, 2014 at 10:15 PM
    MiniBike

MiniBike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Consistently 21-24 mpg with my '09 Access. The Air Conditioning is always on. Around town or local highways, I usually drive about 10 over the posted limit, but no jackrabbit starts. We make one trip per month from FL to WNC averaging 80-85 mph and the mileage drops to 18-20. The auto tranny handles the mountains just fine if I take it out of overdrive. I'll be pulling a 10' open trailer up there next week and I expect no problems. I spent $300 to have my seats rebuilt to fit our bodies better which really improved the long distance comfort. I'm hoping new tires (235 to replace the 6 y/o stock 215) will smooth things out a little more. Our 45# Black Lab is perfectly content curled up on the back seat. I DON'T want to go back to a full size truck!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  13. Sep 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I have a 100 mile commute each day, mostly interstate, in my 2009 Access Cab 5 lug auto. I run 75-80 and consistently get 20+ mpg. While it does not have an excess of power it will flat out hum down the road at 85 (and get 20 mpg). I did put 235-70-15s on it for better control in the wind (I cross the Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay) which dropped the mpg down from 22+ but the extra control is worth it.

I love my truck and will likely replace it with another 5 lug.

14. Sep 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    MiniBike

MiniBike Well-Known Member

Member:

In the interest of full disclosure, I traded my Tacoma for a Silverado yesterday. Yep, a fancy, V8 Luxo truck. I still stand by the statement above, but since I no longer deal with city traffic or parking and 500+ mile days are becoming more frequent, the wife's comfort has become my #1 priority.

On the plus side, after 5 years and 47,000 miles I got $3K less than original MSRP on the Tacoma in trade (and below TrueCar on the Silverado). So, there's another benefit of the Tacoma.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Sep 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    The meme is 2wd doesn't hold value, buy 4x4 even if you don't need it for resale.

You proved that False. :cheers:

16. Oct 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM
    RugglesTarlek

RugglesTarlek Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    basic basic basic 14 AC
    Bit late to this party, but I have your truck: 2014 2.7, 2wd, AC. No bells or whistles. (Even didn't have intermittent wipers, but that's another story.) I drive about 30-40 miles each way on the highway with about 800# of passengers/cargo. With all that crap, the engine gets described as 'gutless', but it actually gets the job done and is happy enough cruising at 75-80 mph.

I have to admit that I dream of a 6 cylinder, but I might get tired of that after a few trips to the pump.

17. Oct 26, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    Tacopoulos

Tacopoulos New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2WD base 4cyl 5 lug MGM Access Cab
    I'm in similar shoes as I traded a 2000 Durango for a 09 5 lug manual 2.7 access cab. I can't say enough good things about it. Reasonable gas mileage (22 to 26), actually very pleasant to drive on long distance, roomy enough inside with the access cab, stable on highway, nice cab for hauling stuff. It's a safe choice and will also hold value. Go for it if it is still relevant.

18. Oct 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    The Shape

The Shape Well-Known Member

Member:
    Forrest City, AR
    Vehicle:
    '09 Access Cab A/T 4banger
    I have an '09 access cab I4 A/T. It has plenty of power for the interstate. If you aren't towing a big trailer or a ton of heavy junk in the bed the 2.7 is a great engine. I even pick up my three year old from day care each day with a car seat in the access cab, now to do that the passenger seat is slid forward to the point of being almost uncomfortable for a passenger, but if the whole family is going somewhere together we take the wife's Camry anyway

19. Nov 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    Lightsped

Lightsped Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Acworth/Kennesaw, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Basic 2wd RC 5 speed
    My truck is a 2009 2.7 liter 2wd regular cab with manual tranny, bench seat, and roll up windows. Completely base model except for sliding rear window.

Anyways, I am very pleased with my truck. My other three cars are sports cars so I am used to lots of power/good handling. I am satisfied with the 2.7 liter. I drive my truck between 30 and 40 miles per day on the highway. It is basically a daily driver.

This truck performs perfectly for me as a daily driver and light hauling duty when needed. No complaints.

20. Dec 13, 2014 at 6:51 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Not even close.

The 2nd Gen Tacoma is a lot bigger than a Ranger. Any Ranger.

And it rides a lot more car-like than a Ranger. Any Ranger.

And in the 4 cyl version it gets a lot better MPG than a Ranger. Any Ranger.

My BIL has a Ranger 3.0 5 spd. Edge. I drove it 100 miles and it was iffy on comfort, and it's well maintained. (its fine on little trips around town)

I had a '98 Sonoma, fairly plushed up for a compact truck, that was tolerable for up to 5 hrs on the road and got OK MPG on the road.

But the '13 Tacoma I have, 2.7, Access, convenience package, is way above both. In comfort & MPG. And it still does all I need it to. As in haul bikes, kayaks and small loads.

It does just fine. Those that claim it's underpowered for that I suspect never learned how to drive lower powered vehicles for performance. It takes a bit of finesse. But if you can plan ahead instead of just relying on the loud pedal you'll find it fine.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top