Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Fat Bob's Install

Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
ivel is on a distinguished road

ivel's Tacoma Gallery
Fat Bob's Install

Hi all, I got me a Fat Bob's lift for my 5 lugger.

No instructions of course, anyone got a how to guide or link to a video ?

I found a video on the Ready Lift but not Fat bob.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
AllTerrainMonster is on a distinguished road

Air Force: KY-039
Name: Chris
AllTerrainMonster's Tacoma Gallery
Is it a leveling kit or full lift?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #3

ivel's Tacoma Gallery
2 3/4" lift in the front and 1 1/2" in the back.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Canadian Taco 705 is on a distinguished road
Canadian Taco 705's Tacoma Gallery
Hey did you ever measure the front blocks before install? i just got my kit in and the front blocks are only 1.25"... any idea where the other 1.5" comes from??
Old 01-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

ivel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Taco 705 View Post
Hey did you ever measure the front blocks before install? i just got my kit in and the front blocks are only 1.25"... any idea where the other 1.5" comes from??
Not installed it yet but the front spacers truly don't look like they are gonna make 2.75"
Old 01-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
i know i just looked at the kit something's wrong here.. im'a give them a call tm after class im going in for install hopefully friday afternoon after school. full billie package and the fat bobs
Old 01-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #7

ivel's Tacoma Gallery
Let me know what you find out.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #8
Check the exterior of the box bc that's where mine were
Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Nick82 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Nick
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
I think you will be surprised, the rough country 3 inch lift spacer is 1 2/3 of an inch but it will lift the front of a 4x4 Tacoma 3 inches. It has to do with leverage. Think of a seesaw if you go back 1 foot and puch down 1 inch the tip of the other end will lift up 3 inches. The shock does a similar thing with the rest of the front suspension.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Gents what kind of spacers are these?
FYI the measurement of the front spacer does not equate to that in lift height, it doesn't work that way. Example: a 1/2" top plate spacer will yield 1" of lift.

Really does help to get familiar with product before buying. Jumping to conclusions and assuming something’s wrong than posting it on a forum before you even discuss with the comp you bought from is not the right approach. Doing so can give the comp a bad rep and cause confusion.

Oh and spacer lifts are a complete waste of money. They might give you lift, but they do so while compromising the quality of ride.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #11

ivel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
FYI the measurement of the front spacer does not equate to that in lift height, it doesn't work that way. Example: a 1/2" top plate spacer will yield 1" of lift.

Really does help to get familiar with product before buying. Jumping to conclusions and assuming something’s wrong than posting it on a forum before you even discuss with the comp you bought from is not the right approach. Doing so can give the comp a bad rep and cause confusion.

Oh and spacer lifts are a complete waste of money. They might give you lift, but they do so while compromising the quality of ride.
Not trying to be a butt hole or anything but that is bashing a companies product. I don't see where anyone said anything derogatory towards the company either.

Link to spacers http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/toyota-...015-p7630.aspx
Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel View Post
Not trying to be a butt hole or anything but that is bashing a companies product.

Link to spacers http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/toyota-...015-p7630.aspx
Not bashing the comp, they are just selling them to make a buck and I completely understand this. And as far as design goes, theres nothing to these, they have been reinvented a million times by a million different comps.

If I'm bashing anything it would be concept and manner in which spacers provide lift and the impact this type of lift has on the suspension

Shoot I bet if you called and asked them if they recommend spacer lifts they would probably tell you no, but they will sure and the hell sell them to you if this is all you can afford and insist on lifting your truck.

Don't mean to come like a jerk and sorry if I am, I'm just being honest with you.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
Half Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant futureHalf Caf has a brilliant future
Coast Guard:
Half Caf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel View Post
Hi all, I got me a Fat Bob's lift for my 5 lugger.

No instructions of course, anyone got a how to guide or link to a video ?

I found a video on the Ready Lift but not Fat bob.
I have the fat bob kit installed. It is literally the same thing as the ready lift. Just follow the video instructions and keep in mind that everything will be 10x harder I had to replace a couple of my uca bolts (one broke and one was pretty corroded) and one of the uca bushings as well. Not saying don't do it, but just know what you're getting into.

Also, people bashing the lift don't have 5-lugs. I'm sure you know there are very limited lift options. As long as you're not doing anything crazy you will be fine. Biggest thing to keep in mind is that you lose your bump stops in the front so it's possible to damage your shocks if you bottom out.

One final thing is that I upgraded my front shocks to bilstein 4600s. There have the same performance characteristics as stock, but are just better built. I'm glad I put them in when I did, because it's a pain to take everything out and you are already 2/3 of the way there at that point.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
So i just talked to the guys at Fat Bobs and they said its usually a 2:1 Ratio of lift for the IFS suspensions
Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
Thumbs down

Quote:

Unless you actually had some reason to comment on this topic that was worth while than you should have never commented. Unnecessary comments my friend..
Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #16

ivel's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Not bashing the comp, they are just selling them to make a buck and I completely understand this. And as far as design goes, theres nothing to these, they have been reinvented a million times by a million different comps.

If I'm bashing anything it would be concept and manner in which spacers provide lift and the impact this type of lift has on the suspension

Shoot I bet if you called and asked them if they recommend spacer lifts they would probably tell you no, but they will sure and the hell sell them to you if this is all you can afford and insist on lifting your truck.

Don't mean to come like a jerk and sorry if I am, I'm just being honest with you.
You didn't.

I'll be doing no four wheeling in this truck. This lift is purely asthenic, I like the height of the Pre-Runner but wasn't willing to pay 2-4 grand more for one with 100,000 miles on it than I did for my 5 lug with 5000 miles.

I'm not gonna pay the price for a long travel kit that I have no need for so this way is what I have to work with. If I didn't like it, I'll take it off and only be out $200.00 for the kit.

If I was gonna be four wheeling, I would have bought a 4X4.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #17

ivel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Taco 705 View Post
So i just talked to the guys at Fat Bobs and they said its usually a 2:1 Ratio of lift for the IFS suspensions
Must be some kind of Voo Doo Magic ? ? ?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #18

ivel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Caf View Post
I have the fat bob kit installed. It is literally the same thing as the ready lift. Just follow the video instructions and keep in mind that everything will be 10x harder I had to replace a couple of my uca bolts (one broke and one was pretty corroded) and one of the uca bushings as well. Not saying don't do it, but just know what you're getting into.

Also, people bashing the lift don't have 5-lugs. I'm sure you know there are very limited lift options. As long as you're not doing anything crazy you will be fine. Biggest thing to keep in mind is that you lose your bump stops in the front so it's possible to damage your shocks if you bottom out.

One final thing is that I upgraded my front shocks to bilstein 4600s. There have the same performance characteristics as stock, but are just better built. I'm glad I put them in when I did, because it's a pain to take everything out and you are already 2/3 of the way there at that point.
Might check out the those shocks, I got a really good friend that is a mechanic that is gonna help me, I told him everything I've read says it will take 3 hours. He's figuring half of that.

Got a lift and air. The truck has less than 30,000 miles and it's a 2011 so I hope we don't start breaking bolts. We shall see.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #19
i got the same exact kit but i also added the 5100's for the rear.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #20

ivel's Tacoma Gallery
Supposed to install tomorrow after work