1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st-Gen 5-Lug Suspension Hell *help*

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by toyotacoma2015, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Mar 16, 2015 at 11:51 AM
    toyotacoma2015

toyotacoma2015 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '98 5-Lug SR5 Off Road
    Hi everyone, been lurking the forums for a while and decided to finally make an account to post here. So far I haven't been able to find out what I should do about my truck.

Recently got a 1998 5-Lug Extended-Cab 3.4l Tacoma. I'm very happy with the truck, and as far as options go, it is leaps and bounds over my previous '89 22RE 4-speed (although I really loved that truck as well)! It's got 230,000 mi on it, but the engine was completely rebuilt by a trusted friend of mine, and the truck pulls amazingly well, it's pretty much new in that respect. Unfortunately, 230,000 mi will do a lot of damage to the shocks and springs over time, and I'm pretty much sitting on no suspension right now. The ride is HORRIBLE, and I feel like all the shocks are blown and all the springs are totally worn. I feel every little pebble in the road as if I just launched off a speed bump, and even going really slow, the bed will SLAM going over the tiniest speed bumps or dips. I hastily put a body lift on it, just to keep the tires from slamming into the fender wells. With any sort of load in the back, the rear leafs are actually inverted at this point (which is really bad for me as I regularly move motorcycles in the back of my truck for work). And one of them is more worn than the other, as can been seen in the photo, so the truck is far from level.

I need help looking for suitable replacements for my suspension pieces, but I've been having a hell of a time finding things that simply FIT my model of truck. Obviously, no PreRunner, TRD, 6-lug stuff will, and that's what is readily available. To be honest, I'm not even sure exactly what trim package I have, since the badges say "Off Road SR5", but it's a 2WD V6 auto-trans with under-axel leafs. I've included photos of the suspension I have so you guys with more experience can get a better idea of what I have to work with. The front shocks are Rancho s5000 series, and the rear are Fabtech FTS7129's. Not sure if that info helps (either way they are all blown and need replacement anyway). I'm pretty new to trucks (I'm a motorcycle mechanic by trade), so I really don't know where to go from here. I've tried calling Toyota but they were totally unhelpful, then I called Bilstein and they told me "they don't have any shocks that will fit that year or model."

At this point, I think I am going to get some decent but affordable Monroe's all around, and try to replace the front springs and rear leaf springs as well, but I really don't know what to get. Any help, suggestions, constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mar 20, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm no expert but you surely need a full suspension rebuild. Shocks look blown, every one. The hard part will be the five-lug leaf springs.

I note you're in LA. Here in San Diego we have a place that does custom leafs, E & C Springs. When I'm ready, they'll whip up a new set for my 2013 (which has the world's shittiest leafs on it from the factory, so it won't be long). I am sure there's got to be a few folks in LA who do this.

Good luck.

3. Mar 20, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    toyotacoma2015

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '98 5-Lug SR5 Off Road
    FTD, thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

You're right, it's been IMPOSSIBLE to find leafs (and even front coils) for the 5-lug.

I've looked into re-arching, but it will cost $200 and wont last more than a year, so not really worth it to me.

I've found a could guys willing to sell me 5-lug leaf packs with about 100,000 mi on them for around $150. I think I might go this direction, then do an add-a-leaf. Then hopefully I can find some longer coils for the front and a spindle lift for a decent price.

4. Mar 27, 2015 at 11:39 AM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    find a used leaf pack for the rear and maybe add a leaf. The front spring is a pain to change out. I would just install bilstein hd shocks and call it a day. It is pretty easy to do.

5. Mar 27, 2015 at 8:58 PM
    Colmer1997

Colmer1997 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    1997 5 lug Xtra Cab 2RZ
    Pioneer Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Punch Peakers, Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Sub
    Hey is that a 1 inch or 2 inch body lift?

6. Mar 28, 2015 at 6:27 AM
    toyotacoma2015

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '98 5-Lug SR5 Off Road
    It's actually a 3" performance accessories lift.

Products Discussed in

To Top