Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

wheel adapter 5-lug to 6-lug conversion

Old 06-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
duyphung is on a distinguished road
duyphung's Tacoma Gallery
wheel adapter 5-lug to 6-lug conversion

wheel adapter 5-lug to 6-lug tacoma
What's up TW?! I was wondering if any of you know if it's possible to convert my 2008 base model tacoma 5-lug 215/70/15 wheels to a 6-lug so I can fit the TRD sport wheels 265/70/17? Let me know where is a good place to get these adapters. I just purchased. Also if you guys know if the TPMS sensors will fit from the 15" wheels to the 17" wheels. Any helpful information would be appreciated

thanks,

Dewey
Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Banned
Shemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Shemicals's Tacoma Gallery
Adaptors=death
Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
aggiepack is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
aggiepack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duyphung View Post
What's up TW?! I was wondering if any of you know if it's possible to convert my 2008 base model tacoma 5-lug 215/70/15 wheels to a 6-lug so I can fit the TRD sport wheels 265/70/17? Let me know where is a good place to get these adapters. I just purchased. Also if you guys know if the TPMS sensors will fit from the 15" wheels to the 17" wheels. Any helpful information would be appreciated

thanks,

Dewey
i was in your same situation a couple months ago (I myself have a '08 reg cab). i've heard some sketch stuff about adapter safety and finding a reliable company to buy them from. if you've got a 4x2 reg cab putting those on may be a really tight fit too (you can always remove the black box if you wanted to though). I ended up getting 17" black motor sport rims over at America's Tires (they look great might I add), but just switched back to the stock rims with 235 bfg's (liked this look more - time to find some nice 15"s now)

Back to the point: it's safer and dare i say "easier" to find a nice looking 16 or 17" 5 lug rim and is probably going to be less expensive after calculating adapters for the 4 wheels. Those tires will probably stick out the side too might I add (if you like the look then more power to ya!) Hope this helps with your decision!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Don't hide your 5 lugginess... Embrace it!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
dont be hating on the 5 lugs, Im one right now on one wheel
Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duyphung View Post

thanks,

Dewey

Dewey:
First off Welcome to TW.

As others have said an adapter is not the way to go.

With the TPMS the wheel material type determines the TPMS sender. Our Tacoma's come with steel wheels and the TPMS senders are not compatable with an alloy wheel. If you purchase an alloy wheel you will need to factor in new TPMS senders and a reprogram so your Tacoma can receive the signal from the new sender.

I bought a set of wheels and tires this past summer from Discount tire direct. They were easy to deal with and I had no problems.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...S|p|5849265971
Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
jfred90 is on a distinguished road

jfred90's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
With the TPMS the wheel material type determines the TPMS sender. Our Tacoma's come with steel wheels and the TPMS senders are not compatable with an alloy wheel. If you purchase an alloy wheel you will need to factor in new TPMS senders and a reprogram so your Tacoma can receive the signal from the new sender.
I've heard parts of this before but here's my experience....

I put a small lift on mine (equivalent to the 5-Lug ReadyLift kit) and put on Pro Comp 7089's (aluminum alloy wheels). 4 Wheel Parts was able to put my TPMS sensors in the new wheels with no issue.

I've read the reason the reason they sometimes wont fit has to do with the valve stem angle, but I cannot confirm if this is true or not. The tire shop should be able to tell you if they will work in the wheels you want.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfred90 View Post
I've heard parts of this before but here's my experience....

I put a small lift on mine (equivalent to the 5-Lug ReadyLift kit) and put on Pro Comp 7089's (aluminum alloy wheels). 4 Wheel Parts was able to put my TPMS sensors in the new wheels with no issue.

I've read the reason the reason they sometimes wont fit has to do with the valve stem angle, but I cannot confirm if this is true or not. The tire shop should be able to tell you if they will work in the wheels you want.
Nice information. At close to $60 a sensor if you can reuse the factory sensor that would be a nice savings.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:23 AM   #9
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiepack View Post
... if you've got a 4x2 reg cab putting those on may be a really tight fit too (you can always remove the black box if you wanted to though)...
what is the black box? I have a 07 Base Model AC and I am planning on dropping it.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemicals View Post
Adaptors=death
Don't be so sure I bought some Ebay 1-1/4" spacers and ran em on the front of my 05 till I got my Long travel.

Worked fine just put some thread locker on the lugs and checked them every time I did a service then never came loose at all even after doing this few times
Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktaco View Post
Don't be so sure I bought some Ebay 1-1/4" spacers and ran em on the front of my 05 till I got my Long travel.

Worked fine just put some thread locker on the lugs and checked them every time I did a service then never came loose at all even after doing this few times

from what I was told about adapters, they HAVE to be Billet type. nothing else.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's what mine where and I only paid like 60 bucks
Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktaco View Post
That's what mine where and I only paid like 60 bucks
FAWK !!!!!!!! ALL of the places I have looked they are selling them for maybe 60 EA. or worse off about $200 or so plus shipping. Yours is a 6 lug no? Maybe that is why you got them for the $60 ... will have to look into that. 6 lug rims are EXTREMELY CHEAP these days.

BTW, do you have the name or link to the Ebay store?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #17
Dezert Toy Fabrication

No sorry it was a looooong time ago just check out ebay I'm sure you find some good ones