Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   5 Lug (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/)
-   -   In cab AC plugs for 5 lug auto (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/195169-cab-ac-plugs-5-lug-auto.html)

jacobigindi 12-27-2011 09:32 PM

In cab AC plugs for 5 lug auto
 
So i've seen PSU Taco85's writeup on the 400 watt inverter but I'm confused as to how to wire just the AC plugs. I just want to install a plug in the bed and one in the center console. Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about electrical circuits and I want to understand it before I try and mess with anything. Would I follow his writeup? or is there another one to follow? In other words, do i need to do the 400W mod or can I just install the plugs somehow?

Tigahshark 12-27-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobigindi (Post 4258220)
So i've seen PSU Taco85's writeup on the 400 watt inverter but I'm confused as to how to wire just the AC plugs. I just want to install a plug in the bed and one in the center console. Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about electrical circuits and I want to understand it before I try and mess with anything. Would I follow his writeup? or is there another one to follow? In other words, do i need to do the 400W mod or can I just install the plugs somehow?

:popcorn: I would like to know this too

ISUGrad05 12-28-2011 06:56 PM

I would look into an aftermarket inverter and mount it somewhere in the cab, maybe under the rear seat and run wiring out to the bed under the truck. 400 watts won't power anything with more than a 3.3 amp draw at 120v. You could probably find an aftermarket inverter rated at 1000 watts that would be good for 8.3 amps which run some smaller power tools.

ISUGrad05 12-28-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobigindi (Post 4258220)
In other words, do i need to do the 400W mod or can I just install the plugs somehow?

Yes you need an inverter. The inverter contains a transformer to step up the voltage from 14.4v ~12.5v rms to 120v. It also contains the circuitry to convert the voltage from DC to AC.

S.B. 12-28-2011 07:05 PM

I installed a 800w inverter under the passenger seat. I have the usb and 120V plug in the front little bin and another 120V plug in the center console. I ran a 4g hot wire from the battery to the inverter through the fire wall and ran my ground to the body.
Its a Cobra unit I got off of amazon. It works great!

jacobigindi 12-28-2011 10:16 PM

so it looks like the inverter has two outlets and a usb plug already, so how did you install the plugs where you did? did you just use a power lead directly from the outlet in the inverter?
sorry, i'm really new to all this :o

S.B. 12-28-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobigindi (Post 4264171)
so it looks like the inverter has two outlets and a usb plug already, so how did you install the plugs where you did? did you just use a power lead directly from the outlet in the inverter?
sorry, i'm really new to all this :o

5 lug tacos don't come with a factory inverter, you have to buy your own. I bought 2 extension cords (1 per outlet) and chopped off one end (female plug). I bought these: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...SnvPxFpA%3d%3d

Just cut a hole and snapped them in. For the USB I bout a USB extension cord and cut a hole and glued it in.

jacobigindi 12-29-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.B. (Post 4264353)
5 lug tacos don't come with a factory inverter, you have to buy your own. I bought 2 extension cords (1 per outlet) and chopped off one end (female plug). I bought these: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...SnvPxFpA%3d%3d

Just cut a hole and snapped them in. For the USB I bout a USB extension cord and cut a hole and glued it in.

aah, i see, thanks, and the inverter just gets hooked up to the battery?

ISUGrad05 12-29-2011 08:41 PM

Yeah, the inverter installs similar to a car audio amplifier. Fuse and hot lead wire to the battery, and terminal to a suitable grounding point.

VA7DRR 11-01-2012 04:47 PM

are there any videos on how to install the ac plugs and wires to the trucks inverter?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 AM.