1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Lift vs Body Lift

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by TheRedTac0, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Mar 26, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    TheRedTac0

TheRedTac0 [OP] Just a Taco guy, both food & truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2006 5-lug Regular Cab Impulse Red
    BHLM, Black Housing Altezza Taillights, 3-piece billet grille, Fatbob's 2.75" Lift with AAL, 15x8 Ion Alloy Wheels wrapped in 31x10.5 Falken's
    so I'm stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place
    I want to get a lift for my 5 Lug but I can't decide weather to get a Suspension Lift from Fatbob's or get a Body Lift, both lifts go for 3" but i can't decide which is better

Here are the difference's
    BODY LIFT
    http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/2845158973.html
    http://www.jackit.com/per5603.html

SUSPENSION LIFT
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/28874/ppuser/3738

MY BUILD: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/193588-my-build.html

2. Mar 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    suspension all day.

3. Mar 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    TheRedTac0

TheRedTac0 [OP] Just a Taco guy, both food & truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2006 5-lug Regular Cab Impulse Red
    BHLM, Black Housing Altezza Taillights, 3-piece billet grille, Fatbob's 2.75" Lift with AAL, 15x8 Ion Alloy Wheels wrapped in 31x10.5 Falken's
    What makes the Suspension better?

4. Mar 26, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    sorry for being so vague. This is the info i have read on the site (i spend too much time on here) I cannot personally vouch for the info but it does come up alot and i read the same thing over and over (im planning a lift as well)

body lift will allow you to put bigger tires, but your not going to gain any wheel travel by doing so. Also this is assuming your not doing a spacer lift which will actual limit wheel travel.

body lifts can be dangerous as they can fail and when you break your frame stops and your cab keeps going (seen it on a post some where on here)

at the end of the day, just spend a bit more and do it right, so you dont take away from the comfort of the vehicle. Suspension lift (assuming its not a spacer) will give you a better ride over stock, allow bigger tires, and give you more wheel travel.

BUT....this all depends on what your going to do with it.
    if your going to wheel it once in a while and is mainly for looks, what the hell do a body lift, somewhat cheap, you can get bigger tires your good to go

if you plan on getting into trail stuff, your going to upgrade down the road anyways (no pun inteaded :p lol) so you might as well do the suspension lift

5. Mar 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    the best body lift still isn't as good as the worst suspension lift

6. Mar 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    ^^^^i edited my comment above-gf was talking while i was talking kinda forgot some things

7. Mar 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    I wouldnt go bigger than 1 inch body lift

8. Mar 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    this.

lifting your truck via glorified hockey pucks is never a good idea.

9. Mar 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Suspension all day. I have a friend that lifted his explorer, completely different but same concept, 3in suspension and 3 body and put Mickey Thompson MT's on it and not a week later it poured down rain he hydroplaned into a tree and hit right where the front drivers tire is and the cab bolts sheared off sending his cab rolling down the hill, witnesses say he rolled 5+ times before stopping he doesn't remember much after hitting the tree. Police say that he wouldn't have been hurt nearly as bad if it hadn't been for the body lift coming apart.

10. Mar 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    imo i would drop the extra bit of money on the tc mid travel kit increased wheel travel and performs very well in the dirt. ive seen it and it even surprised me :D

11. Mar 29, 2012 at 3:16 AM
    Street

Street Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jon
    Brevard
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    5 lug DIY Tips from the guys @ 4 wheel crawler and 5 trips to ACE to get the right bolts it was worth in AND UNDER $100 BUCKS you can't beat it, I did it myself and made the steering shaft at my buddys shop, go with the 3 in body and when you get the money for the susp. you'll be that much higher its what I'm doing I think i'll work on the paint and hood next tho.[​IMG]

12. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    Thorpedo26

Thorpedo26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon Thorpe
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 silver 4 cylinder
    Blacked out badges, weathertechs, painted grill, cut tailpipe, removed mud flaps, black head lights, red calipers, tinted tails, front and rear bilsteins are here along with fatbobs spacer and aal awaiting install, also a set of 16 inch pro comps are here and 265/75/16 dynapros
    Your telling me a auto shop recommended a body lift? Either you talked to a new employee or they dgaf. And pairing the suspension lift with a body lift? Your center of gravity is now higher and your cab more likely to flex on turns as well as frame
    Won't be fun when every thing just spontaneously snaps. Not looking for a fight I like your truck, but losing piece of mind and safety for cheap looks is illogical to me

13. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Body lift = FAIL and looks retarded

If you're looking for something lifted, just sell your 5 lug and buy a prerunner or a 4x4

14. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    rockgecko03

rockgecko03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rockwall, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma - Perpetual Project
    I see nothing wrong with a body lift. I've been in a serious accident where the airbags went off and the body lift didn't fall apart and the frame/body didn't seperate. It was just fine. If you install a body lift, do it right and don't do some backyard engineering project. That is most likely the crazy cases you end up seeing posted several times on several different forums. Spend the extra few dollars and upgrade all the hardward to grade 8. I'm running a 1.25" custom body lift now and absolutely no worries about it failing.

That said, do the suspension lift first. If you need just a tad bit more to clear the tires, then get a body lift but try and keep it as small as possible. A 3" gap between the body and the frame looks likes poo.

15. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    rockgecko03

rockgecko03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rockwall, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma - Perpetual Project

If it's physically removing ability from the truck, then why do some competition rigs have body lifts on them? It doesn't seem to hurt them one bit. I also disagree that it is not easier to beat the hell out of the wheel wells. I'm running 35's and can tell you from personal experience, the body lift saved me a hell of a lot of trimming and pounding. I don't even have to remove or trim my fenders to make them stuff all the way to the bump.

I've also never seen a rig tip over and everyone look and point because it was all because of a body lift raising it's center of gravity.

16. Apr 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    Thorpedo26

Thorpedo26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon Thorpe
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 silver 4 cylinder
    Blacked out badges, weathertechs, painted grill, cut tailpipe, removed mud flaps, black head lights, red calipers, tinted tails, front and rear bilsteins are here along with fatbobs spacer and aal awaiting install, also a set of 16 inch pro comps are here and 265/75/16 dynapros
    Do whatcha want. Buuut we said da troof

17. Jul 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    AwsumSaus

AwsumSaus New Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
    This all seems like pretty valid advice to me. I just purchased my Tacoma in March, and am looking at jacking it up another 3". I was looking at suspension until a friend recommended a body lift, but I'm pretty glad I found this forum lol.

18. Jul 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    fgcutaco

fgcutaco Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    '09 SWB, Access Cab, 5 Lug
    Stock... For now...
    BAM. Ain't dat da troof?!?!

We are all glad we found this forum, our wallets on the other hand... Ehhhh... Not so much

19. Jul 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Depends how hard you wheel too, my stock body mounts didn't last, I would be worried about a body lift

Products Discussed in

To Top