1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Lift/Tire Proposal - Comments

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by dougtoms01, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oct 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    dougtoms01

dougtoms01 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Std Cab
    Bucket Seats
    Hello,
    New on this forum, wanted to get started on my 2008 Tacoma 2WD, 4cyl.

I assume the 5 lug is 2WD vehicles?

I've finished my wifes 4Runner with the help of the guys on that forum. Lift, wheels etc.

I am now looking to make my Tacoma look a little better than stock.
    Mods thus far:
    1. Pulled the bench seat out and put in a set of bucket seats from an 08 Colbalt. Much better ride, just no air bags.
    2. Hard top bed cover
    3. Rock guard and window gutters

After researching, here is what I am thinking.
    Just for looks, do not do any off roading. I pull a small pop-up occasionally.

Lift:
    I'd like to do the spacer lift 2.75/2.0
    What is the difference between the Ready Lift and Fat Bob's (assuming I don't purchase the white no name shocks from FB's)? Is the Ready lift better quality parts and that's why it's higher priced?

Shocks:
    I was thinking of installing Bilstein 5100's, but looks like only the HD's fit the front. (I have 5100's on the 4Runner and like them)
    Should I just stick on 4 HD's or put the 5100's on the rear?

Tires:
    Looking at the Michelin LTX A/T2 in a 235/75/15
    I don't think I have the cash to spring for new wheels.

Bascially want to make sure I have a workable set-up and that I didn't miss anything obvious. Also, hopefully this will look better than stock.

Any tweaks I should consider while staying in the same budget range?

Best regards,
    Doug

2. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    I don't believe having a 5 lug just necessarily mean you have a 2wd considering there are a bunch of 2wd with 6 lug pattern. If you look at the lug patterns on your wheels, 5 or 6? That'll determine which parts you able to use.

3. Oct 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
  4. Oct 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    The Prerunner is the 2DW truck that comes with 6 lug wheels (same as 4DW Tacoma). The Prerunner used close to the same frame as the 4WD trucks and therefore most of the same aftermarker suspension upgrades.

The 2WD tha is not a Prerunner used a different frame and suspension and wheels with 5 lugs. You need a whole different set of suspension partd fo the 5-lug, but it can be done!

5. Oct 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    dougtoms01

dougtoms01 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Std Cab
    Bucket Seats
    Thank guys,
    Yep, sounds like I have a 5 Lugger which is what I thought.
    All the parts I outlined are based on what I've read about on the 5 lugger threads.
    Hopefully some of the 5 lugger guys can check my assumptions and see what they think about the 5100's in the rear or do HD's all the way around.

I'd also like to know what they think about Ready Lift vs Fat Bob

Lastly, 235/75/15 versus 225/75/15 on the tires.

Really appreciate all the forum folks that share their knowledge.

Best regards,
    Doug

6. Oct 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    The 235 tire will be about 3/8" wider acros the tread if it is the same model tire and a little bit taller. If 225/75 was stock size then the 235 will be close enough that you pulling totque and speedometer error will be virtually unchanged. You mentioned the Michelin A/T tire earlier, this is a pretty good a/t tire, but go look at a few tires before you buy them, you might prefer the more agressive look of something likr the Goodyear Dura-Trac. If you go to the Tire Rack website they compare most tires and you can look at them as well.

7. Oct 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    scaplus

scaplus Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you plan on lifting, ReadyLift and Fat Bob's are really popular choices. I plan on going with Fat Bob's later down the road with some Blistin Shocks down the road. I heard somewhere that Fat Bob's actually use part of the ReadyLift kit but take that with a grain of salt.

When it comes to tire size, I'm probably going to put 235/75/15 down the road after the lift despite my 225/70/15's. 235/75/15 are definitely bigger than 225/75/15 and you will notice an acceleration difference. I do like the looks of the 235's more than my 225's. But you might be careful because 235/75/15 is the max you can put before lifting (it also might cause some rubbing).

EDIT: Blisten 5100's don't fit for 5 luggers without modification. Just looked that up.

8. Oct 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    dougtoms01

dougtoms01 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Std Cab
    Bucket Seats
    That's odd.
    When I went to the Vendor site where I got my other 5100's, it listed them for the rear 5 Lugger. You do have to go with HD's in the front. Since I probably feel better matched, looks like it will have to be Bilstein HD's all the way around.

I seen more than one post where FB's messed up the order. If I do purchase from them, I will just buy the spacer and leaf components. I don't want the pre-matched kit with the white shocks. I also seen where the shocks don't come with boots and some people complained of the U-Bolts being less than expectations.

Still undecided on 235/75/15 vs 225/75/15's. The Michelins I like are only offered once you get to 235/75/15, so that may make up my mind :)

Thanks a bunch for your input.

Best regards,
    Doug

9. Oct 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    dougtoms01

dougtoms01 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Std Cab
    Bucket Seats
  10. Oct 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    scaplus

scaplus Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's odd, I was pretty sure Blistein 5100 shocks themselves were too long for our 5-luggers because of the way they angled compared to the 6-lug Prerunners/4WD's. I could be wrong though but if you managed to get them to work, report back because I was planning on getting Skyjackers instead.

As for the ordering, I have heard that they do mess up a few times but it seemed to be resolved pretty promptly. I don't plan on using the white shocks anyways so that won't be a problem but I might have to check again with the U-bolts. Fat Bob's are fairly cheap and the reason why I'm getting those but I don't plan on using some of the things that are included (oddly because the kit is cheaper than buying seperately). If you do plan on buying, use "TacomaWorld2011" for 10% off.

235's are pretty good choice. I wish I did that before I choose my 225's. Might have to change them out at a later time ...

11. Oct 12, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    fgcutaco

fgcutaco Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    '09 SWB, Access Cab, 5 Lug
    Stock... For now...
    I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure you can use the rear OEM TRD shocks from a 6 lug (Ex: TRD Sport Prerunner). You may only have to go billies in the front which might end up saving some cash if you can find a set of good rear TRD shocks on the 2nd gen marketplace on here.

Products Discussed in

To Top