Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   5 Lug (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/)
-   -   5 lug truck maintenance ? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/256275-5-lug-truck-maintenance.html)

TacoMan1911 01-03-2013 07:15 PM

5 lug truck maintenance ?
 
Hey guys,
This is my first post and I just bought this truck. So far so good. Owner took really good care of it and it only has 35,000 miles on it. I really want to keep it up, so I had some maintenance questions. The previous owner said that it always had the oil changed at the dealer and tires rotated, but that's it. Do I need to change anything else like rear differential oil or anything. What about coolant or that kind of stuff. The maintenance guide just says check it all but not to replace it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope to keep this thing a long time.
Thanks!!

SurfInferno 01-03-2013 07:17 PM

I didn't change diff and tranny fluids until 80,000 I'm pretty sure. You don't need to go to the dealer to get the oil changed and tires rotated unless you get it for free. Seemed like it always ended in a hassle for me

TacoMan1911 01-03-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurfInferno (Post 6219298)
I didn't change diff and tranny fluids until 80,000 I'm pretty sure. You don't need to go to the dealer to get the oil changed and tires rotated unless you get it for free. Seemed like it always ended in a hassle for me

Ok, was your diff fluid really dirty at that mileage or not? Just thinking about doing mine because I recently went through some deep water (maybe 14 inches) tops and heard that water can get in through the breather but it sounds like most people don't worry to much about that. Also, did you use a torque wrench or just pliers to take off the filler and drain plugs?

SurfInferno 01-03-2013 07:28 PM

Diff fluid was still clear. Not much dirt gets in there. And i wouldn't worry about 14in, I've put mine through way more than that before i ever changed it. And use a 24mm socket

TacoMan1911 01-03-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurfInferno (Post 6219364)
Diff fluid was still clear. Not much dirt gets in there. And i wouldn't worry about 14in, I've put mine through way more than that before i ever changed it. And use a 24mm socket

Alright man, thanks. Will probably wait a couple years then. I never heard of a rear diff going out because someone forgot to change the oil.

SurfInferno 01-03-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacoMan1911 (Post 6219416)
Alright man, thanks. Will probably wait a couple years then. I never heard of a rear diff going out because someone forgot to change the oil.

A lot of people say change it every 30K but again, nothing really gets in there so i don't see the point

TacoMan1911 01-03-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurfInferno (Post 6219454)
A lot of people say change it every 30K but again, nothing really gets in there so i don't see the point

Ok, the money part isn't such a big deal to me, my only fear is over tightening the plugs. God forbid i would strip them out. Did you just snug yours? Or is there a specific torque? They seem like pretty strong bolts.

Joels98taco 01-03-2013 09:04 PM

my diff fluid went 130k and still looked good. went through water that was up to the door too :rolleyes:

TacoMan1911 01-03-2013 09:15 PM

Wow!! 130k!!! Guess I was worrying about nothing. Seems like I need to just put 100,000 miles on this thing with regular oil changes and then start doing other things like this.

Joels98taco 01-03-2013 09:23 PM

you can always check it periodically to be safe :p

TacoMan1911 01-03-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joels98taco (Post 6220052)
you can always check it periodically to be safe :p

That's true, maybe every 15,000 miles or so.

81shark 01-05-2013 08:09 AM

35K is nothing...

just do oil/oil filters and air filters. i did my diff at like 40 something because i was bored. if you do decide to do it, make sure you take out the fill plug first. that thing is a bitch....and you don't want to drain it and then not be able to get the top plug out.

went 82.5K on the brake pads...could have gone more

should do the belt one of these days....and maybe even the battery. 7 years is getting up there

TacoMan1911 01-05-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 81shark (Post 6226795)
35K is nothing...

just do oil/oil filters and air filters. i did my diff at like 40 something because i was bored. if you do decide to do it, make sure you take out the fill plug first. that thing is a bitch....and you don't want to drain it and then not be able to get the top plug out.

went 82.5K on the brake pads...could have gone more

should do the belt one of these days....and maybe even the battery. 7 years is getting up there

Original owner said the battery was just replaced. It is a Bosch battery which I think is a good product. The belt appears to be good, but I guess it's better to change it early rather than be sorry later. Seems pretty easy to work on this truck yourself.

81shark 01-05-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacoMan1911 (Post 6226954)
Original owner said the battery was just replaced. It is a Bosch battery which I think is a good product. The belt appears to be good, but I guess it's better to change it early rather than be sorry later. Seems pretty easy to work on this truck yourself.

lots of space in teh engine bay. if the belt looks good, i wouldn't worry. not alot to do maintence wise on these trucks outside of oil and filters

Joels98taco 01-05-2013 11:53 PM

^^ thats a good thing. more money for mods :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29 AM.