1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shock help? / specs for 4600?

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by swsl, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    swsl

swsl [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    96 Ext cab 2wd lifted
    new coil lift, rear leafs, 15" wheels, shell, ladder rack
    Hi all. I've got a lifted '96 5-lug with long coils in front and a beefed up spring pack in back. I've currently got some MV-12 Doetsch tech shocks on the back that Downey sold me years ago, but have been thinking to upgrade to Bilstein 4600s or better yet, 5100s.

I've checked with DownSouth and others and been told that there are no 5100s that will work for my 1.5-2" (not sure) lifted 5-lug 1st gen. They said I might find a 5125 and mod it, but that sounds like more hassle than I want.

I wonder if the 4600 versions that are listed for my truck will work. I'm looking all over Bilstein's site and everywhere else for specs on the 4600 so I can see what it's range is, and also, maybe find a part # in the 4600 that's same mounting but with more extension, if need.

The shock I have on there now goes from 14" fully compressed to 21 5/8 at full droop. It sit at about 18" extension normally. All measurements are eye to eye.

Any thoughts? Any chance a 5100 can work? How do I get the specs on those 4600? Can anybody get me a link? My google-fu is usually very good, but they have hidden that info away well enough.

I use my truck more for work and travel than off-roading. It's usually 1/2 loaded at least.

Thanks !

2. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    Card1

Card1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia!
    Vehicle:
    96 taquito
    Doestch Spindles
    What kinda coils are you running?

3. Jan 27, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    swsl

swsl [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    96 Ext cab 2wd lifted
    new coil lift, rear leafs, 15" wheels, shell, ladder rack
    Um, I dunno what coils, I bought them 10 years ago, but I'm asking for the rear shocks, not the front, just filling in the gap that the truck is lifted front and back, an inch or so. Still sits lower than a stock 4x4.

I'm thinking of replacing the Doetsch techs with Bilstien for a better ride and would like to buy the 4600 version if I could ever get specs.

Thanks,
    Steve

4. Feb 3, 2023 at 7:30 PM
    ReconYote77

ReconYote77 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl cab TRD OR, 1998 gen 4runner limited, 1996 Toyota Tacoma 2wd 5 lug
    3rd gen Taco: 1.5" strut spacer HPS silicone intake tube (Red) K&N Drop-in 1.25" Wheel Spacer Airaid throttle body spacer Runner: JBA UCA, Solo motorsports LCA, Freedom Offroad 1"-4" coilovers adjusted .75", .75" spacer (3-4" overall) 33x18 Goodyear duratracs, Tundra brakes, Panhard correction, Overland Customs Forged ball joint Sway bar links, Poly bushings all around. Roof rack.....Lit up like a Christmas tree. Taco: stock.... 30" cheapo mud tires, no cat. 1.5 daystar front level spacer. Custom headache rack with light bar.

I know it's a Longshot since it's an old thread. Did this work. I have a 1.5" spacer up front and want to order the 4600s because im not doing a full build but need new struts and want to upgrade. Did you end up getting them?

5. Mar 23, 2023 at 7:24 PM
    elephantears09

elephantears09 Member

Member:
    Upgraded shocks.
    My 4600’s just arrived. Install in the next few days hopefully as it’s Jack rabbiting down the highway.

Products Discussed in

To Top