1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High idle on 2002 Taco 5 lug 2.4L

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Todduscg98, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Aug 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    Todduscg98

Todduscg98 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Galveston
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 2wd 2.4l lifted
    Doetsch 5 inch spindle lift, 3 inch 4crawler body lift, 31 inch AT tires. Truck is coming along. I love the way it has come out so far. It looks mean for a 2wd base model Taco.
    Hello everyone. I am new to Tacomaworld and wanted to thank everyone and the awesome information you can get here. I had the high idle problem when my engine warmed up. I don't have an RPM gauge but man you could hear it idling high. I am guessing over 1500 rpm's. After researching through the forums I decided it must be the Idle Air Control valve (IAC). When I took off the throttle body I noticed a lot of carbon build up. I took off the IAC and sure enough it had some serious build up and the valve didn't turn. So I took some brake cleaner a scribe and some q-tips and cleaned it out. After a thorough cleaning it turned with ease. Put it all back together and bam. Just like that it was fixed. It runs better than when I got it. Again you guys saved me lots of money. Thank you so much. If anyone needs any info on this just ask. It took me about 1.5 hours to complete not bad at all. Only thing is be very careful of the brass screws. I had to replace mine. I put hex heads on as a replacement.

Now my question I how to prevent the build up in my throttle body. Below is a pic of my throttle body. I don't want to have to do this again.

image.jpg

2. Aug 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    You could try an oil catch can like the one in this group buy:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/group-buys/284102-42-draft-designs-oil-catch-can-group-buy.html

I guess it's closed but you could still find something similar. It filters out the oil that comes out of the PCV and only allows air back into the intake. It isn't much oil that comes through, but as the engine wears it gets worse as the rings get a little loser and allow more oil to blow through. This oil "mist" gets recirculated back into your intake (theoretically it's just air venting from the crankcase with temperature changes but a little oil comes with it) and burned in the engine. The oil coats the intake system and then allows any spec of dirt to cling to it and will build up over time.

Products Discussed in

To Top