1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best home gym for best price?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by tacosupreme54, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Dec 30, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    Lol, i'm not trying to lose weight. I'm actually trying to put it back on. I've lost about 40-50lbs of muscle in the past year. I went from working out pretty intense 3-5 days a week at 220lbs to literally no working out at all. Luckily, I didn't get fat like most people would, I got skinny. My body just basically did away with all the extra muscle that I wasn't using in the past year. Now that it's about a year later, I weighed myself the first day of working out and was at 175lbs. So I've been back at hitting the weights for about a month and am up to 186lbs currently. I'm just using whey protein and eating more. You had good info though, minus a little bit of misconception of weight training. Lifting weights will burn tons of calories. Although, I will say that more cardio exercises along with eating right are better (or at least will show results sooner) to melt off that fat if you wanna lose weight quicker.

The bench actually is adjustable. I guess I never mentioned it. I thought about the selectable dumbbells, but they were pretty pricey and I already have a few old school dumbbells and a curl bar as well. They take a little longer to change weight, but it doesn't really matter. I have attachments to do curls on the cable system and a curl station with a preacher pad. So I haven't even needed to use those old ones so far. This thing has pretty much everything. I was a member of a pretty nice gym for a couple of years and this thing hasn't really limited me so far. Besides a few leg exercises, I can do pretty much anything I need to.

2. Dec 30, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    TacPro45

TacPro45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    I agree! I purchased some powerblock adjustable dumbbells and an adjustable bench, and the results are phenomenal. I have a gym at work but when I'm off the last thing I wanna do is go all the way there to work out so I got this set up to hold me over!

3. Dec 30, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Who needs leg exercises anyways? :D I HATE legs, haha. That feeling of not being able to walk 2 days after is the worst in the world.

Congrats on getting back in the swing of things. That's the most important thing - you're exercising. Sometimes that fact gets lost in the "who's the expert" arguments (which I myself struggle with). Like everyone else, I too struggle with motivation sometimes, and go through periods where I don't workout as much as I should. So I know what it's like to feel like you're starting back from scratch. Keep at it! The fact that your body was once as big and strong as it was will help it regain it that much faster (as evidenced by the fact you've put on 10 lbs already).

I have the opposite problem - if I don't exercise, I put on weight like it's nobody's business. You lucky S.O.B.!

4. Dec 30, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.

Lol, yeah. After years of intense full body workouts for sports, I'm glad to be done with killing my legs. We would train them so hard that I would dread the flights of stairs back to the dorm so bad! Heck, I even dreaded swinging my leg up to get back in the truck, haha. So yeah, now I'm just working on the "beach" muscles. :cool: No girl cares how big my quads are, lol. I'll start running again when I get more used to my workouts and when it warms up.

And yeah, the expert advice is kind of a lost cause sometimes. Everybody has different goals, outlooks, and ways of approaching and going about things. We all want to think that we know it all, and in a way we do. We know how our own bodies work. I do appreciate the advice offered, but I got this :D. I just gotta eat, eat, eat, drink my protein, and hit my weights.

It is a struggle to get motivated to get back into it. I did want to take a break for a while when I stopped. After years of strength training and many seasons of football, I thought i deserved a break. I didn't intend on over a year though, haha. I always told myself I'd start back, but then made excuses to myself why I couldn't. But getting pretty much a full home gym in my garage was what I had to do. It left me no excuse to not do it. I forgot how great it feels after a good workout! I love the feeling of a good pump and it has really let me burn off some steam and stress on bad days. Having a partner is also a big help. My old workout partner pretty much stopped right after I did. We were similar in strength and size, so it was always a competitive and thorough workout. A year later, he and I don't have a good enough schedule to workout together anymore, so I turned to the last person I would have thought I'd ever ask to workout with me. He's probably my best friend, but he's about 6'3" and 130lbs and never lifted a weight! I was actually kind of joking when I asked him, but he showed up and has ever since. It's definitely different with him barely getting 85lbs on bench and then me repping 250+lbs!! Tons of trouble to change weights, but it's nice to have somebody there just in case i ever drop the weight or something. I'm trying to train him and get some weight on him as I do the same for myself, which is a little difficult. I'm already seeing gains in size and strength, and he is getting stronger as well. I might post some before and after pics sometime. Oh, and I am very grateful that I lost weight rather than put it on during my year off! haha

5. Dec 30, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I hear ya on the partner. I'm on the road about 75% of the time, and the only guy my age is almost the same specs as the guy you listed, and he actually refuses to lift with me because he thinks he slows me down since he does about 85 lbs too. What he doesn't understand is that I don't care how much he lifts, just that he's working out and getting stronger/healthier. Kudos to you for helping make your buddy stronger.

6. Jan 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
  7. Jan 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    You might want to look into kettlebells. I had a bowflex for years but I got rid of it last month. Ive had real results from them, far more than any overhyped machine ever gave me.

8. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    the bell type weights are pretty good. i will also agree that the bowflex is overrated. unless you get the 2k-3k one, you won't really get anything out of it. because their 210lbs of resistance is only like 100lbs of true weight.

9. May 2, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Well after 6 years building up my olympic bench with little additions and buying a lat/row station, I sold it all to downsize as we are posted to a new house this summer.
    I have a set of powerblocks and searched for a FID bench everywhere. Everything used was junk and the new stuff didnt cut it either, until i returned to powerblock and found their very simple sport bench. I added the dip attachment to it. The only thing this could use is a 2" attachment slot at the front so I decided I will eventually weld on on. That will allow me to do some leg work.
    This bench will support up to 550lbs so it will be a wonderful addition to my next home gym that I would like to be a cage since it takes up minimal floor space for a full body workout.

home gym.jpg
    SportBench-flat-angeled-2010.jpg
    SportBench-dip-200w-2010.jpg
    Dip-Attach-CU200w.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top