1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket HU, wired to stock JBL system, options from there?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Rock Coppus, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Apr 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Rock Coppus

Rock Coppus [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD DblCab 3in. Lift
    3in. Dealer Installed Lift
    New to the site! Just bought a 2006 Tacoma DblCab off a guy that took amazing care of it. Only mod really was the factory installed 3in. lift. Im used to having a more beefier sound system with features such as bluetooth and auxiliary inputs, so im looking into the Pioneer AVH-series of head units.

After researching this site and others, it seems i need a few things like...

Scosche dash kit
    PAC Tato wiring kit - to connect to factory JBL amp
    PAC SWI-PS - for the steering wheel controls

I guess my question is, after this install, if I wanna lets say, add a B-8PT to the mix, what do I do with the stock sub? If I leave it in, do I just disconnect the wires so no sound comes out? I read somewhere that people were having problems with disconnecting the stock sub and the whole stereo goes out. Will the deck control the new powered sub without relying on the JBL amp interface?:confused:

Im trying to get away with not buying an amp and worrying about where to put it, hence the B-8PT.:D

2. Apr 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    You can't disconnect the stock sub, its an amp and sub in one. I left my stock sub installed. You'll never hear the thing, and if it blows, oh well. Its all one ugly little black box in the back, nothing you can do except get rid of it. There are only like 2 wires going to the amplifier for sound too, its all digital.

If you're interested in a Scosche adapter, I have the one I just ripped out of my truck. Its in solid shape. I also have a Sony head unit, a JL amp, and a sub that wont fit behind the seats. Gotta PM me quick if you want them.
    (disclaimer, this is not a B/S/T thread and I'm only offering them in help)

3. Apr 29, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    Rock Coppus

Rock Coppus [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD DblCab 3in. Lift
    Thanks for the reply! I am a couple months out until I can start messing with the stereo like I want. I'm just trying to get a little information before I go buying things and whatnot.

4. Apr 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Aight. Just an FYI, I wanted to clarify, that since the amp and sub are one piece... you will not be able to remove it unless you are rewiring your speakers to another power source, ie your head unit, or another amplifier.

I also recommend removing the passive crossovers on the rear speakers, they're built into the backside of the speaker tray and prevent any fidelity from coming out the rear channels. The fronts have them too, but since there is the tweeter in line, its your call, you will still need some sort of crossover in there.

5. May 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Rock Coppus

Rock Coppus [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD DblCab 3in. Lift
    Thats a good call about the passive crossovers for the rear speakers. I will have to check that out. Are the back door panels relatively easy to remove? Like I said I just got the truck so I haven't had time to figure the in's and out's of my new rig. Im thinking this weekend we will spend some quality time together. Hehe.

6. May 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Yeah.... everything is pie to remove... it might take you a second the first time but once you understand it will only take a minute to remove.

7. May 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry to kind of thread jack you, but my tacoma has the factory JBL system in it and I think it is crap. It already has an aftermarket HU (Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD). Would i run into any problems (ie dash lights not working, or some other stupid thing like that) if I pull all the factory speakers, sub, and amp and run all aftermarket stuff with new wiring?

8. May 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    Awesome. Thanks:D

Unless:gossip:
    [​IMG]

haha:D

9. May 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    Rock Coppus

Rock Coppus [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD DblCab 3in. Lift
    I agree with whippersnapper, probably the easiest, although not cheapest, thing to do is pull everything out and start from scratch with your Pioneer HU. I've been looking into a hybrid set up, with a new HU and powered sub, but keeping the stock speakers for now, and it just seems way too time consuming and complicated to be worth it. I'm of the mindset now to just do what your thinking and replace the whole system.

10. May 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    I'm looking into a 5 channel amp with some 6.5" or 6.75" components up front, a regular pair of 6.5's in the rear door and an 8" sub that will hopefully fit where the JBL one is now. Nothing real fancy just something that will sound better. My car has spoiled me:D

(yes the wiring looks like shit, hell the whole thing in general does, but it is loud as fuck and sounds great:D)
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top