1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power Steering Pump replaced, now this...... opinions please

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TRDguyKC, May 4, 2012.

1. May 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    So I noticed a bunch of buildup on my PS pump a few weeks ago and took my truck into the dealer to have it warrantied..... Now that I'm in the "extended warranty" I have a $100 deductible each time I take it in for warranty work.

Anyhow, I saw my driveway when I came home from work today and saw some oil on the ground and when I went under to inspect It appears this is leaking. ( im not sure what the part is called, but I believe it has to do with the steering. At any rate, I just think its kind of ironic that I have not had any problems at all, then when I have the PS pump replaced, This part starts leaking.... Im trying to avoid having to pay another $100 deductible If i can.

Do you guys think it could be related at all to the replacement of the PS pump a couple weeks ago? Do they even mess with this when that is done? Or is it just bad timing?

thanks! Here are the photos. (sorry for the crap "paint" photos... I resized and this is what happened)

truck2_732913ef621ce9004b23858c14cba0816183e7d4.jpg

truck1_e9f570127739552d721086d8cce6f2aeef2894ba.jpg

truck3_4e3da86dcf4f20a3af876f0e626ed2887632ea13.jpg

2. May 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    It's possible they didn't properly bleed the system when they changed the pump, fired up the truck, and ran the rack dry for a few seconds (or longer). That could possibly fry seals in the rack. It could also be that your leaking pump wasn't getting enough fluid to the rack and that burned up the seals.

Finally, your sig looks like you have bigger tires/wheels. Not unheard of for the extra mass to contribute to rack and pump failures (overheating the fluid in some cases). I had the same problem on my '04 Tacoma. First I burned up a pump, then a few months later the rack started to weep fluid from the guide retainer. That's why I'll never put big meats on my truck again.

Actually, one other possibility is that it's residual from when they swapped the pump and they did not clean up when they were done. Give it a good scrubbing and degreasing and then keep an eye on it. Maybe you'll get lucky.

3. May 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    First off, Welcome to TW. Second, thanks for the reply. Ill wash it up good this weekend and see what its like this next week. Worst case ill take it back in next week and have it fixed up.

Thanks again

4. May 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    I know leaving the resi cap open will help bleed the system while you turn lock to lock... But how do you not run it dry in a pump swap? Let it idle for a few minutes?

BTW, Great info you posted! Welcome to TW!!

5. May 6, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    obscurotron

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    If you idle it, you still run the chance of trapped air momentarily starving the pump or the rack. Once you swap the pump (or the rack or whatever else you might be working on in the system), you top off the reservoir, and with front tires in the air and engine off, run the wheels lock to lock until bubbles stop showing up, keeping the reservoir topped off. Once there are no bubbles, you've got a continuous hydraulic circuit and you're safe to start the engine, check for leaks, etc. Not much to it in the end.

6. May 6, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    Sweet thanks for the info. Rep for you. I'll keep that in mind when I swap my pump in a few months.

7. May 7, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    obscurotron

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    I haven't seen a good one yet, so if you do swap your pump this summer, a write-up with pictures would be an awesome thing to have around for other folks. :)

8. May 7, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    What truck do you have? Year and engine... Don't forget to fill out your profile so we can see.

Here's the best pump replacement write up I've seen so far. It's for an 03 5vz-fe. I plan on taking pictures and documenting it as well.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/maintenance/ps_pump/

9. May 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    obscurotron

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Until recently, I had a string of 1st gen Tacomas. Just picked up a '12 DCSB a few weeks ago.

Products Discussed in

To Top