1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any reason I NEED the rain rubber gutter molding installed? (After Bajarack install.)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HoffmanDesigned, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    HoffmanDesigned

HoffmanDesigned [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justus
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab TRD 4WD
    3" Toytec Lift AirLift Ride-Rite air bags Reinforced Tailgate
    Installed a Baja rack over the weekend. I couldn't seem to get the bracket bolts to line up with the rain gutter sandwiched in between, so I got everything lined up without them. (Completely my own coordination issue.)

Now I no longer have the gutters installed. Is there any problem in leaving them off? I have sealing washers and spacers at the bolts. I think this makes it water-resistant, but I'm going to RTV the threads as well to make it water-proof.

When I get it all off again, I'm going to try again to incorporate the molding when re-assembling, but wondering if there's any downside (other than aesthetics) in not using them.

Does the rain gutter molding do anything for water-proofing where it meets the windshield or rear window? It just sits there so I don't think so, but wanted to check.

And pictures!

dwnld[1].jpg

2. May 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    dlg636

dlg636 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Tacoma w/all the goodies
    DR front coils and rear shocks, deaver springs, load leveling airbags, k&n intake, JBA hedders and exhaust,Unichip power chip, URD short shifter, onboard air compressor, upgraded power inverter (1000W put in stock inverters location) budbuilt traction bar, warn transformer winch mount and warn winch, HID headlights and foglights, full LED bulb conversion, LED bed lights, full stereo system with GPS and they all roll on 16x8 black steel rock crusher and 285/75R16 BFG KM2's.
    if your talking about the ones on the roof then there is no need for them in my opinion. i have a 05 access cab and my driver side flew off back in 06 so i took off the passenger side to match (cause was to expensive to replace) and i've been running that way ever since. i have had no leaking issues or anything else. hope this helps you out.

3. May 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    HoffmanDesigned

HoffmanDesigned [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justus
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab TRD 4WD
    3" Toytec Lift AirLift Ride-Rite air bags Reinforced Tailgate
    It does. Thanks!

4. May 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    John BIG

John BIG neophyte

Member:
    First Name:
    mann
    Ocala
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner SR5 '11
    moto metal 16x8, 165-70R16 r/t, baja roof basket, customize tops,avic z2 upgraded,all pro rear bumper
    I put mine back on its place. Even with the sealant and everything, it's good to have a peace of mind knowing that there will be no big volume of water running thru it because of that rubber.

5. Dec 1, 2016 at 5:50 AM
    llong_6

llong_6 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    3" RC Lift, 33" Nitto AT G2 x Moto Metal Rims, 2 12" Rockford Fosgate Shallow Mount x 1200w Rockford Fosgate Amp
    Where did you get your roof rack from on your tacoma -HoffmanDesigned

Products Discussed in

To Top