1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tipping "Its getting out of control"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by A_Ninja_Racer, May 4, 2012.

1. May 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    win

2. May 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    Waikoloa Tacoma

Waikoloa Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    At the beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner DC TRD OR
    Been in and out of the restaurant business for 20+ years. I have done everything from dishwasher to GM in BBQ joints to 5 star hotels. Here is my take on tipping:

For someone who provides you a special direct contact service, i.e. waiter, barber, tour guide, tatoo artist, bartender, etc. the general guideline is 0-5% for bad service, 6-10% for OK service, 11-15% for average service, 16-20% for good service and 20+ for great service.

For the delivery (pizza, chinese) guy I do tip based on how much food they bring and the distance they travel, so 2-3 pizzas/dinners $2-3 plus $2-5 for miles (not per mile).

For "counter" service i.e. Subway, Starbucks I would throw extra change in the jar if I see them putting on a descent amount of meat/veggies or do something special. With this type of service, if you are a regular and you throw the change in the jar you will get treated better in the long run.

Now as for waiters in restaurants:

Most only get minimum wage and derive the majority of their living from tips. That means if they just take the order and deliver the food and drinks I call that OK to average service. If they give recomendations/advice on the food and wine pairings, have a personality, takes an interest in the customer, fixes any problems with the food, i.e. a under cooked steak, that is good to great service. If the waiter can give advise on local attractions, goes above and beyond to meet your needs, makes you feel special and has you feeling this was one of the best dining experiences you have had that is great service.

Most customers do not know that the waiters also tip out other employees. Yes that is right. We tip out busboys on total sales, bartenders on liquor sales. Some places require tipouts to cooks, hostesses and dishwashers. This can add up to as much as 5% of total sales. So if you tip 15% on your $100 tab, that being $15, $3-5 is going to someone other than the waiter.

The IRS requires a minimum of 12% on total sales reported by the restaurant, so giving cash tips does not "hide" what the waiter gets as much as you think. So if you tip 10% on a tab, ignoring the level of service for now, the waiter is paying the tax on 12% and received only 7-9% after they tipout.

I live in Hawai'i so I see lots of tourists and locals. I have regular locals and most tourists love that I can tell them about the island, can recomend places to go and things to do. They actually want to hear about why and how I moved here.

I am a very good waiter. I average 15-20% tips walking out the door. I will turn down tables if I feel my level of service will be lowered by taking more.

3. May 8, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    what?

are you one of those "occupy" folks who blame everything on corporations?

5 dollar tip for a 20 dollar waffle house is generous. 10 is a bit over the top.
    actually, the server probably did a lot more work than the waffle house lady. so yes, if he/she gave good service...the tip should be 15-20 bucks.

actually, if the server got all four orders right (I know how people are, self included, with special requests) and shelped drinks, etc...20 bucks on a 100 dollar bill would be minimum IMO
    working at a finer dining establishment requires more work than say...a waffle house.

and why do you assume the waffle house server is a single mom...and the gal at the finer dining place is not?

was it the tattoos? L0L
    this...I have not experienced.

although you may have because you cheaped them? (jk) kinda :D

4. May 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    your post was excellent and informative.

On the above part...if the counter service person just is clean...not covered in ink and face piercings...and greets me with a smile...

he/she will at least get spare change...or a tip if I use the CC.

Products Discussed in

To Top