1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Ticking" gets louder with headers?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hard Luck, May 10, 2012.

1. May 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    Hard Luck

Hard Luck [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    lift, cold air intake, jba headers, Boarla, 18" XD wheels, 33" Toyos, billet grille, in cab 110 outlets, 400 watt all the time, bed lights, fog lights anytime
    I know what everyone is thinking, "Another thread on ticking??"

Before I installed my JBA shorty headers the ticking wasnt that bad. After, it is pretty loud. First I thought I just had an exhaust leak, I took my truck to 3 different exhaust shops and none of them could find a leak. My only idea is that the headers are thinner than the stock exhaust manifold and maybe wrapping them in fiberglass exhaust wrap will fix it..?.? Before I go through the trouble of doing this I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

2. May 10, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I know in the olden days when I wasn't olden, the old v8 hotrods with headers had that 'tick' because you were hearing each cylinder's exhaust pulse bangin out of the exhaust ports of the heads. Yeah it's the thinness of the steel headers as opposed to the cast iron manifolds

3. May 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    what do you think its for?? id try wrapping them up if its driving you crazy...why not?

4. May 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Wrapping some headers voids the warranty. This is usually true with steel headers since the wrap holds moisture, increasing rusting.

I suspect wrapping will reduce the noise. Insulation works for slowing heat and sound transfer with most insulation materials.

5. May 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    how did the shops look for an exhaust leak? in my hot rod days,,if i got a loud ticking, i would take the headers off and simply redo it.

hard to mistake an exhaust leak tick.

6. May 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    jd1986s

jd1986s Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD/Sport Silverstreak
    To address that moisture issue, a lot of people (including myself) spray on a high-temp silicone coating over top of the exhaust heat-wrap. It will make your headers matte-black but it helps hold the wrap on for long-term and also is supposed to help get rid of that moisture issue; this is the kit I used for my motorcycle headers and mid-pipe ---
    http://www.amazon.com/010330-Motorcycle-Exhaust-Pipe-Wrap/dp/B002FDEJ3Y

7. May 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    my ticking got louder after i put my doug thorley longtubes on.

8. May 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Nice! Didn't know there was a cure.

9. May 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    Hard Luck

Hard Luck [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    lift, cold air intake, jba headers, Boarla, 18" XD wheels, 33" Toyos, billet grille, in cab 110 outlets, 400 watt all the time, bed lights, fog lights anytime
    They just felt around all the welds and the flange of the headers to feel for air??? they also looked for black marks to show that there is a leak, they used mirrors to check the tops. I didnt think it was a leak but the Toyota Dealer said that, that is what it sounds like to him??:notsure:... I think Im going to wrap them and see if that helps..

10. May 11, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    jd1986s

jd1986s Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD/Sport Silverstreak
    Yeah, just make sure you do a few coats to seal it up nicely, it goes on just like spray paint pretty much.

If you see black marks on the headers or exhaust ports on the heads, that's a sure sign that you have an exhaust leak. The welds shouldn't be leaking unless the headers are an ebay special; I'd just try loosening all the manifold nuts and re-torquing them again and see if it changes; if not, you're probably going to just have to live with the louder ticking

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. May 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Taking off your header and wrapping them and spraying them is a little overkill in my opinion. Yes the tick is irritating, but isn't that bad when driving out in the open, it's only when your next to a wall or driving through alley or in the garage. I had a hard enough time installing the headers as is, if you wrap them they will be bulky and you may have fitment issues when reinstalling them. Just my .02 cents.

Products Discussed in

To Top