1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reprint or line-x

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Reklaw31, May 10, 2012.

1. May 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    Reklaw31

Reklaw31 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Niceville FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, 1" rear AAL, 17X8 Liquid metal Gatlins, Yokohama Geolander ATs, Blacked out headlights, undercover tanneau, got some stuff line-exed and my paint sucks!
    Just looking for opinions. I have a 2005 dbl cable Tacoma, it's pushing 130K and is paid off. Current paint is Impulse red pearl (love it!). However, I think the previous owner had the passenger side repainted, and now all the clear coat on that side is coming off and looks like sh*t. I plan to keep the truck for at least 3-5 more years, if not longer. New 20 year paint job, $4500, or paint the bad side, 1,500. Neither option seems worth it for a high mileage truck, but I still want it to look good.

I was thinking of Line-Xing the whole thing with line x Xtra (fade resistant)
    I've seen some pics of this and looks pretty good at 1/2 the price of paint.

Your thoughts!?

Thinking either black or olive drab, or both. Opinions on colors are good too!

***title should say "re-paint."

2. May 11, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    SodakTaco

SodakTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCab TRD Sport
    Floor mats
    I think the linex would be a pretty cost effective option, but I love the red. If I were to buy my truck over again, I would get a red base v6 with the black overfenders and bumpers. I think that's a great look for these trucks.

Tough call, if you like to go offroading I would go with the linex. I wouldn't get a $4500 paint job just to blemish it on a trail. If you just drive streets, a repaint would probably be better. It'll look great and help the resale if for some reason you need to get rid of it before you plan to.

3. May 11, 2012 at 5:23 AM
    Reklaw31

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Niceville FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, 1" rear AAL, 17X8 Liquid metal Gatlins, Yokohama Geolander ATs, Blacked out headlights, undercover tanneau, got some stuff line-exed and my paint sucks!
    I love the impulse red also. Linex does colors, and they could match it. I just don't think the red in that texture would look the same. I was thinking of a metallic
    Grey or gunmetal with black on the lower stuff..

4. May 11, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Line x looks Awesome!

TacomaRed6_4a84420d6eae727713220919574ba4de20720bf3.jpg

5. May 11, 2012 at 6:05 AM
    ee1284

ee1284 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner Sport
    That does look pretty good. Is that your truck?

6. May 11, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    SodakTaco

SodakTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCab TRD Sport
    Floor mats
    Ok, that does look pretty good. Screw the paint, go linex.

7. May 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Nope, just stubled upon this thread and figured i post a pic of the truck that a member on here did.

I've considered doing mine, tired of the pin stripes.

8. May 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    Reklaw31

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Niceville FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Color?

9. May 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i want this so bad black line-xtra all over everything lol never have to wax it again thats for sure lol.

10. May 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    weight increase is around 50 pounds for my regular cab i have it all set up i was quoted 2k for my entire truck in black line-xtra with a kevlar base. and the line-x itself can be laid on with differing textures so if you want it smoother it can be done to make cleaning it a breeze.

i was wanting the line-x itself to have a similar taxture to my undercover tonneau cover basically some texture but, nothing to really trap dirt. also iirc the sheen can be adjusted as well with the line-xtra.

Products Discussed in

To Top