1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diy - OEM dash switch using a blank

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hard Luck, May 12, 2012.

1. May 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    Hard Luck

Hard Luck [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    lift, cold air intake, jba headers, Boarla, 18" XD wheels, 33" Toyos, billet grille, in cab 110 outlets, 400 watt all the time, bed lights, fog lights anytime
    I bet I'm like everyone else. I want to add switches to my dash but want the stock look, and Im not paying $50+ for ones from Toyota. This is what I came up with and on the cheap.

parts and tools needed:

-dremel with cutting discs
    -flat bastard file
    -Loctite plastic epoxy (I prefer the 5 min set time)
    -SPDT mini push on/off switch P/N 275-1555 from radio shack $3.19

Here are some pictures and what I did.

First I popped the blank out of the dash (just remove the cubby that covers the in cab fuse cluster and push the blank out from behind). Next cut the blank to release the push button section (see pics). You need to hollow out the push button side. The half that will hold the switch needs some trimming on the 8 ridges that stick up around it. DO NOT FULLY REMOVE THESE or the blank is trash, these ridges keep the switch in place. Take a little less then half of the ridge off and angle it away from the cut end to allow room for the cover to fit over it. this will allow you to fully depress the switch and leave a flush appearance on the dash (you can use a uncut blank from your dash for comparison) trim if needed. stick the switch in the blank and hold the cap on it, while holding it in place depress the switch all the way down then slide the blank up till it comes in contact with the cap, use your dremel and make a mark on the on/off switch for reference. disassemble and mix your glue, let the glue sit for a minute then apply a drop on each side of the switch that comes in contact with the blank. Slide it in to your reference mark then apply glue inside the blank to reinforce the switch in place. now put some glue in the hollowed out cap, place it on the red cap of the push button and center it up as close as possible (the red cap will spin on the switch). Use another blank to compare it with and make sure the switch didnt slide out using your reference mark from before.. once it is getting firm hold the switch and depress the cap making sure it clicks, if it does and the size is right you are done and just saved $50!!!:cheers:

I am going to get some little white stickers made for labels to keep with the stock look

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NoFloTaco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top