1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger and the gas pedal recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dacoma, May 4, 2012.

1. May 4, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    Dacoma

Dacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD Cat Back Exhaust
    I've been doing a heavy amount of research here about the TRD supercharger. I was all set to buy it from TRDparts4u when I happened to find a new thread I hadn't seen yet talking about trucks that have had the gas pedal recall/ECU flash done can't have TRD superchargers installed. :eek:

My truck is a 2008 CPO, so of course they have shaved the pedal, and I assume they have also done the ECU flash. I just called "TRD" (in quotes because it seemed more like general Toyota customer service, not TRD specialized customer representatives) at the number listed on the toyotaracing website.

I tell her about what I read here and she goes off to research it. First she says they see no issue with it. Then, I simply confirm what she said, that it will work, and she leaves again to recheck. She comes back and now says it's not compatible. I asked if there's a fix or workaround and she said no. That contradicts another member's thread which said he installed it, found out his dealer couldn't flash the ECU because he had the pedal recall done, but that if he replaced the ECU (for hundreds of dollars) it would work.

So, what the deal? I tried to go straight to the source for the best information, but the source (TRD) seems clueless. I find it hard to believe that Tacomas with the pedal recall can't get superchargers. So, thousands of trucks are permanently affected and Toyota says nothing? Imagine all the people who got it done, never knowing beforehand what future incompatibilities it would create.

If there really is a compatibility issue with trucks that have the pedal reflash, shouldn't there be a disclaimer listed on the TRD website, or any other websites where you can buy the parts with a disclaimer like, "This supercharger won't work on Tacomas that have the gas pedal recall. Assuming it's true, it would be irresponsible not to update the various websites with that disclaimer so people don't buy one on false pretenses and find out it can't be installed.

I still want the supercharger. Is there really nothing that can be done about this issue? I asked her point blank "Not even replacing the ECU will work?" She said no. That implies all future trucks with new ECU's preprogrammed with the unintended acceleration fix can't have superchargers. That's a bit extreme.

Anyone have any updated experience or information?

2. May 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    Jorge@CBTParts

Jorge@CBTParts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorge
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is kind of a tricky deal. I just called TRD and what I was informed of was that you would have to take your vehicle to your local Toyota dealership prior to purchasing your supercharger kit and have it connected to Tech Stream to see if the program can be downloaded on to your ECU.

3. May 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    Dacoma

Dacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD Cat Back Exhaust
    I had my ECU checked for compatibility with the SC and talked with mechanic. Turns out the rumor of not being able to have the supercharger flash if you already had the recall flash done was backwards. According to the mechanic and the updated SC installation instructions, you can't flash the ECU for the supercharger if you haven't done the recall flash. In other words, your truck's ECU must have one of the calibrations codes on the supercharger calibration list before installing and flashing the ECU.

I thought it seemed strange when I read you couldn't flash the ECU for the SC if you already had the recall flash done. As the mechanic and I agreed, of course Toyota would want you to have the updated recall flash before slapping on more power.

Anyway, I'm good to go. I have the proper, updated calibration code for my vehicle type and thus can have the supercharger installed.

That's great, but now I have a new problem--whether to get the supercharger at all now. I had a long chat with this mechanic and he basically steered me away from getting one. It was for a variety of reasons, such as hearing customers being disappointed in the power (value for the money), wear and tear on the engine, the bad kind of noise (other than whine), possible SMOG issues (I'm in California), and having a hard time selling it to someone in the future (they assume you beat it to hell, but on the other hand he also said if my plan was to keep it for 5 years and sell it then he could see getting one).

While I agreed with a lot of what he was saying, it's still hard to forget reading all the people on here who love it and would disagree with him. So, if anyone is interested, please talk me back into getting the SC. His suggestion was to "drop in a K&N fliter and lower your gear ratios." I don't think I could do the latter without warranty issues. He didn't know.

I just wanted the dang supercharger and thought if it's TRD designed and specifically for my truck, what more is there to think about other than the huge price tag?

4. May 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    In terms of new noises coming from the engine, the only permanent one I had was the very faint rattle you hear from the roots spinning in the blower. I didn't secure one of the intercooler hoses well when I installed it so it rattled until I dealt with that.

In terms of performance. Some people expect the thing to drive like a Ferrari because it has a blower on it. You are still driving an almost 2-ton truck with or without the supercharger. I kept low expectations through the process and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of power I got out of it.

The S/C is CARB certified, they even include a sticker in the box with the approval # and everything that you can put inside the hood with your vacuum diagrams.

I personally think the S/C is the best bang for your buck in terms of performance increases for our truck. CAI's and exhausts have shown small gains but nothing compared to the consistent power increase from the S/C. It keeps your factory warranty intact as well.

Changing your gears would cost almost as much as a S/C would cost after parts and install, especially if you have 4WD because you have to change front and back.

There are a few downsides to the S/C that you have to keep in mind. Premium gas will be needed for it which bothers some people. Personally, it only added about 15 bucks to my almost 200 gas bill each month so it's not a big deal to me. In terms of wear and tear, a forced induction engine will experience slightly more wear but if you aren't racing it all the time, the effects will be minimal and the engine will still last 150k plus without any major issues. You just won't be one of those guys who gets 250k+ out of the original engine without some major work.

In terms of resale value, your results will vary. I am planning on keeping my truck until the frame rusts away or the engine dies so resale value was not a concern. However, it really depends on how long you plan to keep it and also how you sell it in the future. If you end up trading it in at a Toyota dealer for something else they will give you a little extra for the S/C because it is a great performance upgrade and it is not common. Private party is another matter. Some people will see it as a bad thing, others may want it just for the S/C.

Now that I've written that book, feel free to PM me with any questions.

5. May 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    But bricks like POWER :burnrubber:

6. May 17, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    No, just $5k blower to make rooster tails :cool:

7. May 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Not everyone gets a SC to go fast...its good to have more power and comes in handy towing a boat or trailer...you should try it sometime :)

8. May 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    I want one to go fast, make rooster tails AND to tow boats and trailers or things :dancingbacon:

9. May 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    ruler

ruler Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal - Los Angeles - SGV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma, TRD Sport, DC 4x4
    Fox Extended Travel Coilovers 2.5 (front), Fox 2.0 shocks (rear),Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expedition leaf pack, AllPro front plate style bumper,BHLM, GrillCraft MX series Grill, ATX Thug 17inch rims, Toyo Open Country MT (295,70,17), TRD CAI,Rear smoked LED tail lights, slimcubby HID Head Lights (50w 1200k), ADVMonster 60 Series 3600 Lumen LED Off Road Lights , Pioneer Avic-F700bt (navigation,head unit)
    good to know, i would probably get one when I have some extra coin laying around

10. May 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Meh... 1/4 mile times mean nothing to me. It's a daily driver and a hauler, I just want more pep from 40 to 70 MPH and that sezy supercharger whine. :cool:

11. May 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    I've got a s/c because I live at high elevation and EVERYTHING is nutless here.

12. May 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    Hard Luck

Hard Luck Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    lift, cold air intake, jba headers, Boarla, 18" XD wheels, 33" Toyos, billet grille, in cab 110 outlets, 400 watt all the time, bed lights, fog lights anytime
    I hear chicks dig superchargers!!!:p

13. May 17, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    I heard the same thing but turns out they prefer turbos. :D

14. May 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    Hard Luck

Hard Luck Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    lift, cold air intake, jba headers, Boarla, 18" XD wheels, 33" Toyos, billet grille, in cab 110 outlets, 400 watt all the time, bed lights, fog lights anytime
    Im going to clean up with this baby!!!

[​IMG]

15. May 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Generally you want to match up the turbo with the engine size & compression but... eff it! You got a winner there!! :cool:

16. May 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Lol in all seriousness, is that a turbo like a cruise liner or what lol

17. May 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    You're both amateurs. Here's the 'mechanics' installing the impeller wheel on the new turbo for my Tacoma:

[​IMG]

I had it clipped 10 degrees for faster spool-up and better response.

Yeah. Nautical diesel stuffs.

18. May 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Lol I thought so ;-)

19. May 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    Hard Luck

Hard Luck Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    The chicks are already lining up..

20. May 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    precoma

precoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Lake Arrowhead, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 trd sport
    Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel, Defined SUA
    so if you got the supercharger on the second gen would you still want to get the 7th injector kit and smaller pully to boost performance or is that only a first gen s/c thing ?

Products Discussed in

To Top